Tapering My Ambien

Discussion in 'Support' started by bhira, Apr 30, 2016.

1. bhira

bhira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have recently been reading to much and have been feeding the anxiety. I'm still new to tinnitus with recent onset and keep reading about the horror stories about tapering off meds. I took valium for the first time last night 5mg tablet split in half. After reading into this too much I don't think I want to continue this long term. I also have been taking ambien for sleep for the past two years before onset of tinnitus which was a few weeks ago. I started with 5mg, but starting earlier this year have uped it to 10. I know I'm just freaking out now from all the research I've been doing but I'm thinking I want to taper off my ambien. I've been reading that it's best to do it slowly over weeks at a time. I guess i wanted to ask if you guys think I should try doing this while still adjusting to T? I know it will probably make the anxiety worse and sleep even worse which is already affecting me but I can't help but want to get off it now. Any advice would be very appreciated.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If a little tablet helps you sleep with tinnitus and only a low dose I would stay on it.....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bhira

bhira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks, but its got me thinking that I would eventually like to try and get off of it one day. I'm just scared of the withdrawals being worse if I wait too long.

4. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I take one half of a 5 m ambien and put the other half on my dresser with a bottle of water. It puts me out within 15 or 20 minutes and sleep about 4 hours then take the other half and puts me out so I get 7 to 8 hours sleep. I also take a half of 5m xanax 3 times a day which keeps the anxiety down and seems to lower my T. I am starting to habituate to my T but without the drugs I would be a wreck. Once Im completely habituated then I will back off the meds.. Also I take half of a 5m melatonin one hour befor bed. Works for me and im on my 5th month with T.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bhira

bhira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks, I don't want to start anymore benzos my pcp prescribed me valium but I rather not take it. How long have you been on your ambien?

6. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      You say you mix 2.5mg of xanax (thats a big dose) with 2.5mg of ambien and 5mg melatonin to get to sleep?
      That's a lot of stuff right there, plus mixing two CNS depressants (alprazolam + zolpidem) is a bad, bad idea.

7. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Sorry I take one half of a 0.5 three time a day which is a very low dose with approval from my M.D.. Big difference and thanks for pointing that out. Dosage is 9 AM also 2 P.M and around 6 P.M..