Teeth Cleaning with Ultrasonic Cleaner — All Went Well

Discussion in 'Support' started by Holly1987, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys

I hope you are all ok. I'm doing really well, I decided to take a break from this wonderful forum as I felt I was becoming way too obsessed with my tinnitus. The tinnitus is still there but I'm so busy at the moment I don't really notice it or care too much unless I'm really tired or stressed. I'm also no longer suicidal about it and feel much better.

I just wanted to let anyone who is worried about getting their teeth cleaned know that an ultrasonic cleaner was fine for me. I was terrified it would cause a spike and was having a silent anxiety attack in the waiting room. Three days has passed now and all is fine (I was in there for around 25min)

I put it off for 6 months I was so scared! I needn't have worried, it was fine ☺

Much love

Holly

• Like Like x 2
    2. Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      machine noise in factory, headphone, stressed
      This is an update also with my sensitive teeth aside the dental cleaning:

My dental cleaning was done yesterday and I'm fine no spike and I didn't wear plugs or muff, the dental hygienist was coordinating with me during the procedure because I told her everything about my condition. And She had an x-ray with my teeth to determined if there are damages and the doctor said it's all fine no need to fix it . And because I was complaining about my sensitive teeth six weeks before my appointment and it got improving I can now drink cold water and chowed hard food without any pain and thanks to my research in internet on how to fix sensitive teeth using the sensodyne mouth wash that I've using it for 6 weeks and thanks also to the people here in tt who shared and give their advices.

So goodluck guys and god bless us all,
      Robert

• Like Like x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      In twelve years of T, it was the only thing that altered my tinnitus weirdly in a noticeable way. Fortunately it was temporary. After ultrasonic descaling, my T suddenly and randomly became very high pitched at night for about 10 days. I now make sure to avoid that when I go to the dentist.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I went to the dentist in June and asked my dentist to do a manual clean only. Given I didn't have a huge amount of plaque, this was not an issue.

I avoid the ultrasonic cleaner. It has a dangerous level of noise, many people have had T develop or had it ramp up because of this device.

Manual clean if you have T or wish to avoid it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I got my teeth cleaned at the dentist about 3 weeks after onset of my T and didn’t noticed any change. I got normal procedure so ultrasonic cleaner ecc.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Holly1987

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow I'm so sorry to hear this! I guess it isn't safe for everyone.

7. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Well it was temporary anyway. This tool still scares me though :)

• Like Like x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am not sure why you took that risk. They would have cleaned your teeth manually (and it would take the same amount of time, would cost the same, and would be as effective) had you just asked them to.

• Agree Agree x 4
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Holly1987

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You're right Bill, after reading Julien's comment I think manual is the way to go. The dentist convinced me it would be completely fine and it was for me but on reflection it was very risky (I'm normally so careful!) Complacency is dangerous with this condition.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Yoshi
      Wishful

Yoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones, Bus Braking, Burping (air enters ear canal)
      Had my teeth scaled using a ultrasonic scaler in November when I decided to go to a different clinic for a change. Given that I hadn't gone to the dentist in a while there was significant plaque build up, for which the hygienist brought out an ultrasonic scaler, which I have never seen before. The whole thing took an hour, and I remember every time the hygienist used the scaler on my molars and wisdom teeth, the sound would go DIRECTLY into my ear. It felt like the screeching was right inside my cochlea. The very next day I woke up with slightly diminished hearing, which I dismissed as ear wax buildup. After it didn't go away I had my ears checked by a doctor who told me there weren't any signs of blockage, so I decided to go for a hearing test. Well, the hearing test revealed that I had dropped 5 dB across the 2-4 kHz range. To confirm this I also had another hearing test done at another hearing clinic and it showed the same results. I don't blame the people at the dental clinic at all for this, they were absolutely wonderful people, but I only wish I had looked up the risks of ultrasonic cleaning beforehand.

tl; dr Always go for manual cleaning for teeth unless you want to test your luck.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Holly1987

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My goodness @Yoshi, that is terrible.

12. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I went to the dentist today to try to get a cleaning, which was needed before they can do some other stuff. I told them about the tinnitus and stuff and they did try gently to use the ultrasonic scaler, but I only lasted a few minutes before they had to stop. It was so loud, and it probably wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the ultra-high pitch. It's like needles in your ear, I don't know how people can stand this. I am now looking for a dentist who can do it manually.

Here is an example of the sound (volume warning):

Dental Calculus Removal With Original Sound Of...

• Agree Agree x 1