Tell Me the Truth... Is a Cure Realistic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Jul 3, 2017.

1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I can not accept that this condition is for life, at least not when it is as intrusive as it is right now.

What comforts me is the thought of one day being able to hear silence again and be free of this torment, but how realistic is it really?

I have no knowledge of what is being done in tinnitus research. Are there people working hard out there to find us a cure? And by cure I don't necessarily mean a 100% elimination of tinnitus (although that would be amazing) but maybe a reduction or something that can make it go away for a short while, maybe a couple of hours a day.

Is it realistic to believe we will have something like this in say 10 years? 20 years?.......longer?

• Agree Agree x 7
    2. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      It's realistic.

Better live your life now though.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 3
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Of course it is. Keep hope, the day will come! I believe we should have satisfying help to reduce the tinnitus suffering in 5 to 8 years (I'm not talking about a complete cure). Just my guess anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are in the very early stages of tinnitus @TheDanishGirl.When you habituate and I believe you will. The thought of finding a cure for tinnitus will no longer be of importance to you. In time you will see.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't see myself habituating to this seeing as the person i am:( (want to be in control, HATE unwanted noise, very worrying and prone to obsession and anxiety/depression)

Having T is exhausting to say the least. It feels like you have to run a marathon every day.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Hug Hug x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Things do not seem that bright at the moment but it will get better. Continue using the sound enrichment especially at night and I still advise not to use headphones even at low volume. Please read the post below. It is about a member of this forum that had very severe tinnitus and thought that he would never habituate and get his life back. His life has changed and is back to the way it used to be.

From darkness into light.

Tinnitus is not an easy condition to live with when it is severe. So it always pleases me to hear when someone habituates and is able to put the passed behind them and look forwards to a brighter future. A forum member contacted me recently to express just that and has agreed for me to include some of his comments although his name has been changed. Anyone having difficulty habituating I hope they will find this post helpful.

Last year Marcus was in a distressed state and convinced he would never see light again at the end of the tunnel. He works as an electrician and while up a ladder one afternoon, suddenly heard a loud ringing coming from a fire alarm that was on a nearby wall. He didn’t pay it much attention and wasn’t concerned about his hearing as he believed it would soon stop. He continued working but this proved not to be a good idea as the alarm continued for another twenty minutes. When it finally stopped and there was complete silence he then noticed ringing in his ears. Over the following days and weeks it gradually became louder and more intrusive.

I remember his out pouring and condemning himself in this forum as if it were yesterday. He couldn’t believe he had done such a thing. Staying in that vicinity with no hearing protection and not coming down off that ladder had resulted in his whole life being turned upside down. With the benefit of hindsight one is often able to see mistakes that could have been easily avoided if they only knew. In his own words life as he once new it was completely over. Married with two young children he enjoyed regularly going out with the family but all that came to an abrupt end. I and other forum members tried to make Marcus look at the positive things in his life and not to give up hope but little of this was having any impact. The walls of negativity that he had built up to surround himself were just too great and it seemed no amount of good advice was able to get through.

His symptoms will be familiar to those that have suffered noise trauma to their auditory system. Intrusive tinnitus with hyperacusis, that can vary considerably especially in the early onset of the conditions. I understood his distress at not being able to enjoy listening to music even as a form of distraction from the noise. Everything sounded distorted to him as if it is coming out of a broken speaker and his ears would hurt when certain sounds were heard. His appointment at ENT was some time away which is often the case when tinnitus is not accompanied by dizziness, balance problems and impaired hearing or continuous pain in the ears.

Contrary to what some believe, the best treatment for tinnitus in the early stages and when there are no additional symptoms, as mentioned above is to leave it alone. The ears and auditory system are very delicate and often right themselves when left alone. Many people habituate to tinnitus within the first six months sometimes a little longer and the condition has been known to go away completely. Marcus had taken time of work, as he just wasn’t in a good place and couldn’t function properly. One good thing is that he was under the care of his GP and taking medication to help cope with his moods. Tinnitus can be such an emotional roller coaster in the early days so often no two days are the same. An antidepressant often helps a person from becoming too down so acts as a safety net when those low points arrive.

Marcus became a frequent visitor to this forum and I believe it helped him, although his outlook on recovery was quite bleak and negative. Perhaps knowing there were people around him in this virtual world of cyberspace, gave him the support and sanctuary that he needed to vent his frustrations which at times I believe were overwhelming. I hadn’t seen him for quite a while but got an acknowledgement from him recently by private messenger. I have omitted my comments.

It changes a lot over time doesn't it. Not just one’s perception of it but the tone itself.
      For me it ranges from a jet engine noise to hum, I used to hear it all the time but now I only hear it in silence.

Just past the 1 year mark for me. Feeling much better now. It sure does take time.
      How's things with you? I really appreciate the help and advice you have offered to me over this time, and the help from other people in the forum.

It's a terrible condition. I did go too see Guns n Roses last weekend at Slane castle. Used professional ear plugs, was a great show and no negative consequences apart from a crazy two day hangover lol

The fact the concert was outdoors made it possible, it still peeked at over 115db at times.
      I still haven’t been seen at ent yet, did bother chasing up the appointment. No point really. I will take your advice and chase up ent and see if I can get an appointment. Just to do the tests.

Yes
      , I'm much much better now, I was in a very dark place. It was a terrible time. Things have improved, the distortion in music has gone and things sound normal again. I can even setup an eq system hear the different frequencies, when I first suffered this I couldn't hear bass, everything sounded flat, really was a bad time, I'm surprised I survived it to be honest.

I now have a new appreciation for sound and music. I just wish I understood this before. I still have slight balance issues but mostly I am happy my hearing has improved, It is very difficult too accept when it happens as I am sure you know.
      I will always use hearing protection at loud events, concerts etc. The guns n roses concert felt fine with my pro plugs in and I noticed many others using plugs too. Good to see.

I’m back at work and able to spend time with my family. Thanks Michael for your advice (even at those times when I didn't believe it)
      Marcus

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Bidyut saha Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi sandraKD, i can understand your feelings. I hv been passing the time of my life with this over 8 months. First 3 months it was too much loud really it was suicidal. I was always in bed ,i cried all the day, i pray to god just for little decrease of the noise. I took meds for sleeping. Now i feel better. 2/3 days in a week it is little bit bother me though. But now i can working, enjoy with friends, i can sleep without pills or musking musics. I noticed when i am very busy at work i don't listen it very much. Stay positive ,off course with the time u could handle anyway.
      God bless u

• Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    8. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I think there is a very good chance her T will fade over the next year or so. It could very well fade to zero if she takes care of her ears from now on

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. GP55
      Cool

GP55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25 years ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      menieres in the late stage, and then worse
      I sure hope they find a cure, or a good way to reduce the volume, I have my doubts on a cure and I am not being negative when I say this, but there has been so much research for so many years and nothing. But I still hope for relief, I cannot imagine having this for the rest of my life. So in the mean time I try to remain as positive as possible and read up on it as much as possible. My ENT give me zero hope, smh. You have a great day and "Stay Positive"
      Glenn

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I fully agree. If @TheDanishGirl takes care of her ears, this means keeping away from loud noise and not using headphones even at low volume, I believe her tinnitus will reduce to a very low level that she won't even notice it. Or, it will disappear. However, if she returns to using headphones there is a risk of the tinnitus becoming more noticeable.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. GP55
      Cool

GP55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25 years ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      10 minutes of silence would be SO NICE..............

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. GP55
      Cool

GP55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25 years ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hang in there, I feel your pain!

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      The research is building upon itself. And progress is increasing at a rapid rate at this point in time. I feel that it won't be long before we have a cure.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    14. GP55
      Cool

GP55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25 years ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope so, have a great day!

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am going to an outdoor festival with live music for 5 days this august where i live......it only comes to town every third year and i have been debating with myself whether i should go or not, but i know that if i don't go i will be majorly depressed and almost 99,9% have a huge set back with suicidal thoughts going strong and so on, and it is just not worth it.....But i will stay way back from the scene and use ear plugs.

I have not used headphones in several weeks and i don't plan on using them anytime soon.

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. GP55
      Cool

GP55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25 years ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I need to stop listening to my ENT, he is worthless and has nothing positive to say about relief.

• Agree Agree x 6
    17. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Thanks Glenn. And to you as well. :)

• Like Like x 2
    18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Life is about enjoyment @TheDanishGirl I agree that you should go to the festival. However, only you know what you have been through and where tinnitus has taken you? I know because I've been where you are. Use good quality noise-reducing earplugs. Just because you are wearing earplugs please do not think you are 100% safe. You still need to be aware of loud sounds.

Tinnitus is very unforgiving. Have fun but be careful.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      One comforting fact is that technology grows exponentialy. The downside is that T is rather complex but Elon Musk is entering the health business and that guy has spending power. T has a lot of crossover brainwaves with Parkinsons which Musk wants to fight, unfortunately mr T isn't on the guestlist (yet).

A 5 day festival might be a bit too much for your ears but I'm no expert either.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Applejuice I agree with you that a 5 day music festival is too much noise for someone that is new to tinnitus and suffers from noise exposure. I believe there is a risk of making the tinnitus worse. 1 or 2 days is fine but if it were me, I wouldn't push it further because I know how unforgiving tinnitus can be.
      Sorry to sound so sobering but I know how cruel tinnitus can be when it is severe.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 5
    21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Unfortuantely, some people think wearing earplugs will protect them from making their tinnitus worse. This is not always the case. If external sound is loud enough it can reach the inner ear by "bone conduction" This is when the sound passes through the skull/head.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    22. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well the thing is imo, earplugs protect your ears but only for so much. Loudness and duration combined determine the strain it put on our ears. Festivals are loud and last long so it doesn't come without risks because we have special ears now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't think there is going to be a cure in the next 10 years. But there is a very high likelihood that you will recover spontaneously within a year or two.

• Agree Agree x 3
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I plan to stay at home 1 day and rest, and maybe stay away from the music scene itself 1-2 of the other days, and enjoy the music from a greater distance.

I am planning on wearing 3M 37b foam ear plugs, i know i am not 100% safe, but nothing is 100% safe here in life anyways.

25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out the links at
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/wearing-foam-ear-plugs-on-a-roller-coaster.22559/#post-259198

In my uneducated opinion, if you won't be protecting your ears, your chances of recovering will be greatly diminished, and you would need to hope for a cure that might never come.

26. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Well, you're lost obviously.

I don't think you're ready to go to such a festival. Not saying it would necessarily hurt your ears, but just that you're not ready. Maybe later. For now, you don't know what your priorities are.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Her priority is to distract herself from T.

If the festival won't hurt her ears, it makes sense for her to go. But I think there is a good chance that her ears will be hurt at that festival.

28. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      When you want to distract yourself from T, refuse to live with an intrusive T all your life but are still willing to go to a huge festival a few months after onset, you just need to take a deep breath and think about it all later.

Some decisions are tough to take. Skipping a festival is not one of them. You can always go later to another one and have even more fun. It doesn't mean T is winning or that your life is suddenly worthless.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      For hearing loss, yes. For tinnitus..More uncertainty. HL cures should help with T but I don't see these treatments eliminating T 100%, although a significant reduction in volume would already be great.

There are also other several leads for a T treatment, but they might take even longer before hitting the market.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In the near future I think a treatment is more realistic. A cure is probably a long ways off, but if there is a treatment that can reduce the noise with little side effects, I'll take that.

• Agree Agree x 2