Temporary Deafness

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ketsa, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Ketsa
      Amused

Ketsa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Inner Ear Infection
      Heyo

I've experienced a phenomenon that occurs maybe once a month that causes my left ear to go partially deaf for about 3 seconds and then goes away for a month or two. It's happened 5 times since I got my T, I'm not worried about it but I was just wondering if someone could explain why it happens. Also while I'm here could someone give me a heads up on what I should expect when I fly in a plane? I have a vacation planned and I'm flying out of Colorado, so I'm concerned that the altitude difference would cause my T to spike or damage my ears. I've never flown before so I'm also just a little nervous in general.

Thanks, Jeff

• Like Like x 1
    2. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Hi Ketsa hope you are doing great,

The sudden deafness comes with an increase in your Tinnitus? If yes, it happens to most of us (in fact, this happens to alot of people that does not have Tinnitus). Its called fleeting tinnitus you can search here in TT forums there is alot of good info. As far as we know, it is not dangerous, and completely "normal".

About flying, you will need to be sure you don't have clogged ears because of a flu or ear infection. If you do, try to use some decongestand 2 hours before the fly (I use guaifenesin). Try to use airplane earplugs, are a special kind of earplugs that help to manage the pressuare inside the plane and prevents problems. Also, the sound of the airplane is kind of loud... not loud enought for damaging your ears, but for long hours it could stress your ears and irritate them, so you will like to use your earplugs sometimes when you feel your ears tired.

I have flown by plane many times with Tinnitus without a problem,

Take care!
      Johnny.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ketsa
      Amused

Ketsa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Inner Ear Infection
      I appreciate the response and I'm relieved its "normal" lol, I will take your advice on my trip next month for sure.

Thanks, Jeff