Temporary Relief

Discussion in 'Support' started by WMBear, Sep 27, 2016.

1. WMBear

WMBear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; probably getting high on nitrous oxide in my 20's.
      One form of temporary relief I've found is to boil water in a whistling teakettle and then place my ears next to the whistle for about five minutes or so. (Keeping my head away from the jet of steam, of course!) This actually makes my tinnitus almost go away entirely for a little while. The intensity of mine varies from almost not noticeable to pretty noticeable, so I just do this when it gets really bad (as typically if I ingest too much caffeine -- essential to my existence!) I think it works because the steam whistle overloads the nerve in the ear that causes tinnitus, so it gets all tired out and shuts up....

--WMB

2. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      I get that when I listen to this clip, especially the part where the sun comes out. I guess it's because it sound sa lot like my tinnitus on some days. It's like my brain has finally figured out where the sound comes from. My brother (who doesn't have tinnitus) has the opposite effect. When he listens to the clip he keeps on hearing it for a while when he turns the volume off. Brains are strange things.
      Tinnitus - What does Tinnitus sound like?...

BTW I don't think the tea kettle thing you're doing is a good idea. Way to loud, you might damage your hearing!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      Sounds like residual inhibition.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      WMBear

WMBear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; probably getting high on nitrous oxide in my 20's.
      I've been trying this for some time and, fortunately, it doesn't seem to affect my normal hearing. I did worry about that when I started, but since it doesn't seem to be having that effect, I plan to keep doing it. I don't do it a lot, maybe once or twice a day when the tinnitus really acts up, often before going to bed at night so it doesn't keep me awake. I also take a homeopathic remedy (Ring Relief) but I can't say that it seems terribly effective. (Maybe better than nothing, though.) I was discouraged by seeing posts on this site saying that there really aren't any very effective remedies. I certainly plan to keep looking, though....

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Sadly, this video is a reasonably accurate representation of my hearing loss & tinnitus experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. vegasjon

vegasjon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yep. Me too:

7. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      Same here. Some days are worse, on those days the dentist drill comes along.

• Creative Creative x 1