Thank You for Reading My Story: Existing Tinnitus Made Worse by Microsuction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Acouphene, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Acouphene
      Sad

Acouphene Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Hello, I am a new member of this forum and former professional musician who developed acute tinnitus & hyperacusis three decades ago.

My whole life since then has been a struggle. 10 years were spent consulting professionals and trying everything (Ginkgo Biloba, acupuncture, anti-stress pills, mindfulness, masking, eliminate salt-alcohol-caffeine, etc. etc. etc.). I finally decided to stop searching for a cure or remedy and simply learn to live with my condition. I eventually attained a reasonable quality of life.

Sadly, 7 months ago, microsuction of earwax permanently worsened my tinnitus in one ear. My new ENT used microsuction without asking or warning me. I was shocked by the noise and immediately told him to stop. My old ENT for 30 years always removed my earwax manually... I was unaware that Microsuction even existed! Since the "event" I have had a battery of tests including an MRI and have a new ENT. The tests are all negative but two recent audio tests indicate that I have lost some hearing in the ear that was targeted by the Microsuction, but no one can say for sure that the procedure caused the hearing loss & tinnitus spike... I guess I will never know for sure.

All the professionals I have consulted over the past months believe Microsuction to be safe and are baffled by my claim that the noise generated by the suction damaged my hearing and caused a spike in my tinnitus... go figure.

Anyway, I know everyone on this forum is in pain and struggling, but I just felt the need to share my particular story before my state-of-mind deteriorates into an irreversible dark place.

Thank you for reading my story and welcoming me to your group.

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Hi @Acouphene, I'm truly sorry to read your story, and I'm aggrieved to learn that you are ANOTHER victim of microsuction. In 2016, microsuction caused my chronic tinnitus and hyperacusis. Of course, like you, the doctor/doctors denied that this was possible. They are wrong and are simply in denial. There are studies and multiple accounts of others who have suffered like us following microsuction. Please feel free to read my post on The Dangers of Microsuction.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure and excessive ear irrigation
      My tinnitus got worse not by microsuction but excessive ear irrigation by water. I don't think both procedures are the same but I just want to point out that if care is not given when doing something to the ear canal, even as common as ear wax removal by water or microsuction, can be catastrophic.

• Agree Agree x 2