The Assessment of Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Frédéric, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      A systematic review of underlying pathologies and modern diagnostic approaches.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. GJSCAR

GJSCAR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the article. My PT has been quiet for the pass few days because I’ve had an ear infection in my PT ear. The article was encouraging because I fit into that category where there is no known cause. I’ve had CT, CTA, MRI, MRA and cerebral angiogram all with normal everything.

3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      More support that a MRI is best for assessment of PT as a CT might actually cause PT.

John W. Gofman, MD, PhD, was Professor Emeritus of Molecular and Cell Biology at the University of California, Berkeley and one of the world’s most distinguished medical and nuclear scientists. There's also renewed interest in this with association to PT.

One of radiation’s most striking effects is causing arterial cells to multiply abnormally. The abnormal growth of cells lining the arteries has the effect of narrowing the arteries.

Abnormal growth of smooth muscle tissue inside the artery creates something similar to scar tissue that occludes the arteries and ruins their flexibility. Lipid-laden cells, monocytes, macrophages, cholesterol, fibrin, and calcium are all components of plaques and collect within damaged areas in the inner arterial wall where arteries eventually clog.

As early as 1944, scientists showed that radiation could produce plaques and foam cells. Since then, additional studies have demonstrated that radiation can produce arterial lesions, sticky platelets, and increased free radicals. In fact, radiation can create atherosclerosis in its entirety. Studies show that people who have undergone radiation of areas containing major blood vessels often develop atherosclerosis in those blood vessels.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Frédéric I pretty sure CT radiation mentioned in your study article and my study notes contributed to my PT, thyroid problem and soft palate issues. I had multiple neck and facial CT tests.