Astaxanthin — Can It Help Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by El BUZZ, Feb 19, 2020.

1. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      A group of friends affected by tinnitus in different forms and from different causes have decided to give a go to this supplement. We've chosen this brand by recommendation of someone who has seen certain level of improvement after taking it.

We will track each other's experiences. We are currently on our 2nd day of dosage.

I will post here any news and results.

Cheers.

Astaxanthin_front_white_shadow_1000x1000_0a3c9625-4a92-4860-83cb-483834768cb3_480x480.png

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      @FGG had a positive result from Astaxanthin.

• Like Like x 3
    3. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I did! I should clarify that it did not help with tinnitus, though, just with sound loudness. Another user had the same experience.

NAD+ is what I think helped me with tinnitus a bit. Both plateaued but I think both were absolutely worth taking.

• Like Like x 3
    4. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      This does not help. Others and myself has tried for a while.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I said this in another thread but I firmly believe tinnitus of cochlear origin (noise induced, ototoxins) is a function of x + y + z. Where x is inflammation, Y is structural damage and z is intrinsic factors like neurotransmitter balance.

The people that would get the best response (or any response) from anti oxidants would have a higher "x" value.

I do think NAD+ can benefit the "Y" component a little because if you improve mitochondrial efficiency, some of the damaged but not fully destroyed IHCs can work more efficiently (+/- OHCs?).

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      El BUZZ
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      There seems to be mixed experiences and testimonials regarding the use of astaxanthin. From that of @kramdrol, who after his last three posts going through his success with astaxanthin, vanished from the forum, to this of yours. Is your tinnitus noise induced/acoustic trauma related? What dosage did you take?
      Thanks for your answer. We made this move in great part inspired by your input and thoughts on antioxidants and hearing recovery. We are currently taking 2 x 4mg daily doses of the above pictured product. I can firmly say my tinnitus is noise induced/acoustic trauma related as at least two other members of this "experiment" are. Mine is 4 years old (severe). Others' 12 (severe) and 2 (mild) years. I hope we can see at least a slight benefit.

I remember reading somewhere here about a 75 years old man with tinnitus for 35+ years using NAD+ and seeing his tinnitus fading to complete silence and then leaving the forum.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. DaveyJones
      No Mood

DaveyJones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/19/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @El BUZZ Any update on your experiment with Astaxanthin? Debating whether to try it.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      El BUZZ
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi mate!

Well, I started it right before the lockdown and mixed it with Nicotinamide Riboside and Escitalopram 15mg. Started to feel better soon but can't say what made my days easier. Currently I am still taking Astaxanthin and Escitalopram but I am going through a really rough patch for a week now due to a massive spike.

9. DaveyJones
      No Mood

DaveyJones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/19/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sorry to hear about the spike. I hope it resolves soon. I picked up some Astaxanthin last night and am giving it a try.

• Like Like x 1
    10. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      The last three days I have taken 100mg Nicotinamide Riboside and 12mg of Astaxanthin. Within an hour of taking it my ability to click my ears or the clicking I hear when swallowing disappears in one ear completely and in the other it is greatly diminished. It seems the effect wears off after a while though.

It's still early days, so it may be due to something else, or a figment of my imagination, but the timing fits perfectly. Also, I'm not sure if it is the combination of the two things or just the Astaxanthin that is giving me this result. I think it is the latter.

Why? I know it's a potent antioxidant, but why in particular would it give me this effect?

It seems a number of few things have some type of effect on my tinnitus, i.e. different foods, Nicotinamide Riboside and Astaxanthin and maybe others, but the jury is still out as to whether I'm having some type of placebo effect. I need to be more consistent with my tiny experiments to make a proper call.

• Like Like x 1
    11. RichieTheKid
      Question it

RichieTheKid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many Different things
      What brand do you use?

12. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Any update with this? Has the clicking resolved? I find Nicotinamide Riboside makes my tinnitus lower about an hour after taking it and lasts for a few hours. I don’t know if it’s cumulative or permanant but for a few days, it was very low. I am taking it with Resveratrol.

13. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all, like many of you I have tried so many tinnitus treatments, all with very little success.

I just thought I would post to let you know that Astaxanthin with Phospholipids - I get it from Life Extension, and take one pill a day - actually works for me.

It reduces the tinnitus to a level where I can stop worrying about it and just get on with life and no more problems sleeping because of tinnitus!

If anyone here knows some of the science behind why this may help I would be interested to know.

I hope this info will help others!

:)

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    14. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Astaxanthin is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory.

Believed by many is that there is some sort of inflammatory process at work in the majority of tinnitus cases, as usually many find relieve of some sort or another when taking corticosteroids, as well as eating healthy, exercising, etc.

15. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I've ordered a brand of Krill oil, NKO from Nootropics Depot and will be trying it out soon.

NKO-180ct-2p875x7p75-LA__78889.1654533931.jpg

360mcg of Astaxanthin. Seems low compared to some other ones.

• Informative Informative x 2