The Burst of the Air Packet in an iHerb Package — Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by IvanRus, Nov 16, 2017.

1. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Guys - if you ever ordered supplements from iHerb by mail, you have seen their packages, with air packets, which are specially placed in the box during transportation. AIRplus® Void.

So, on my floor, in the pantry, there was such a package, and today I accidentally stepped on one of the air packets of the package, when I dug in the pantry and it exploded. In a narrow room.

Do you think that an explosion of such force can harm my ears? Has there been any similar cases?

Storopack AIRplus Air Cushions review

2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I use iHerb a lot and have popped a bunch of these at various distances over the last few years. Definitely not loud enough to do any damage to your hearing or tinnitus.

3. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Hard to tell how loud it really was, but in my experience these are -certainly- not firecracker loud.
      I know before T I would let them explode, and I never gave it a second thought. Balloons are louder in my experience.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Have you blown up such packages? Was it close to your ear? I just bent down and it was close to my ear

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Have you blown up such packages? Was it close to your ear? I just bent down and it was close to my ear

6. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I've popped them accidentally on the desk in front of me, pretty close to my ears. Had no issues in my experience.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If your ears were hurt, you would know it right away.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have popped about six hundred of these over the past year. Less loud than chopping wood and all sorts of other stuff I've done without problems.

• Useful Useful x 1
    9. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm curious how loud these things can get. The large ones like in the image above don't seem as loud as the mid sized ones. I just had a bunch set off right next to me and I'm worrying about it. It sounded like a string of firecrackers.

I know it's a difficult question to answer. Impulse noises are difficult enough to measure, and there are a lot of different variables. But surely it can't be as loud as being right next to a firecracker or a large balloon popping right?

Were they mainly just the large air cushions or different types? Have you ever tried to measure the decibel level?

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Different types; living as remotely as we do we're sadly dependent on Amazon for a lot of stuff. Mostly though I'm talking about the ones that come in chains, where each bubble in the chain is like a 6"x4" pocket of air with a ~4" diameter. Pop, pop, pop.

I've never popped one with a meter right next to it but I can do that the next time they send me a box. I know that the sound is enough to delight our kid and terrify our cats.

11. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      LOL. I'm glad your kid doesn't have a hearing sensitivity. Since getting hyperacusis I've noticed some children recoil or cover their ears anytime there are loud noises. How old are they now?

I'm just trying to figure out approximately how loud it was, the person I was with said it was pretty loud and my ear was just a few feet away. The person just twisted a whole roll of them in a small room. Thankfully I had earplugs in at the time. I always have to try to rationalize events like this.

I carefully tried it with the large ones in the picture above, but they don't seem to be as loud.

12. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      I cut these with scissors... problem solved, no pop.

13. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      she's 2.5 and definitely sensitive to some noises; I have a tiny pair of muffs I put on her if she's outside when I'm mowing or whatever. Some stuff she likes though, it's exciting. She does a dance when I run the coffee grinder.

14. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I cut them with a box knife.
      The problem is when people pop them right next to you.

15. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Cut those people with the box knife.

16. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know you are joking, but it was a business customer that probably doesn't understand the extent of my hearing sensitivity.

I take all the precautions I can within reason, but there is always somebody else that is going to make as much noise as possible and there isn't much you can do about it.