The Difference Between Brain and Computer

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by IreneO, May 22, 2016.

1. IreneO
      Procrastinating

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 (mild), 03/15 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma, then acoustic trauma, then more acoustic trauma
    2. Phones
      Dreaming

Phones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/headphones ?
      I've seen recently a few tv clips reporting on AI and I find it quite laughable and absurd that predictions of AI will accelerate, say, in 50 yrs and such nonsense. When you learn even a little of the trillions of cells, atoms and illogical sub particles, consciousness and limitless human experience within each person, I see we have already ultimate power within , unfortunately this is becoming increasingly under utilised, ........and it is dawning on me as to why I ended up HERE .o_O

3. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      I hold quite the contrary view. I have great faith in AI, as long as it doesn't go berserk in a terminator or matrix-like scenario. A truly advanced AI will be able to solve problems at a much faster rate than humans because it won't get tired or be limited by anything human. Imagine an intelligent machine doing research instead of humans who have to eat, sleep, recharge, take lunch breaks, worry about the mortgage, etc.

A sufficiently intelligent AI will be able to take in large swaths of data and research and "see" trends and links that one or a group of humans wouldn't be able to. Ultimately I see AI as solving all of humanity's problems.

4. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      Think of it this way: when a mouse or lab rat responds to stimuli, from their point of view they are just doing what they do. But the human researchers are well aware of what's going on. Now imagine an AI that could study humans the way we study mice. We might have suspicions as to what causes T, H, or any other disease, but the AI may be able to see what we're missing.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      IreneO
      Procrastinating

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 (mild), 03/15 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma, then acoustic trauma, then more acoustic trauma
      That's a very optimistic take on AI, @The Red Viper :)

I found it interesting how, at several points in history, we adopt the latest technological development as a metaphor for how the brain works. Then we somehow forget how to metaphor and suddenly everyone's talking and thinking about the brain as though it *really is* a set of cogs, or hydraulics/fluids, or processors and algorithms. o_O

6. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nothing will solve all mankind's problems. Every advance brings a new set of problems and if humans don't have problems they will create them. Before T I had perfect health, no money problems yet I created my own suffering through compulsive gambling. Samsara baby!