The Difference Between 'Those with Tinnitus' and 'Those Who Suffer from Tinnitus'

Discussion in 'Support' started by Red, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Or...

I Found Out My Significant Other Also Has Tinnitus

It's been talked about before. With 10-20% of the world's population having experienced tinnitus (some acute but surely many chronic), why isn't tinnitus taken more seriously? Why do only a subset of people with tinnitus have altered lifestyles and difficulty focusing, making efforts to habituate, etc. etc. and others don't?

After over a year suffering with tinnitus (though surely not as much as many of you who have it severely), I have recently found out my SO has had tinnitus since childhood...and doesn't suffer.

He has no noise sensitivity, can only hear his in a quiet room, and it never, ever spikes or worsens. Last night I was stressed with worry as he went to a concert without wearing earplugs. He came back fine. He's been blasted by truck air brakes, drives a loud truck everyday for work, and has no problem handling heavy machinery.

There have been numerous claims that we are not susceptible for more hearing damage with tinnitus and hyperacusis, yet we constantly see Tinnitus Talk members get permanent spikes from things that should not harm us.

With still so little information about the mechanisms, I'd like to propose my own theory. Reactivity is its own element, separate from both tinnitus and hyperacusis. There are, perhaps varying levels of reactivity just like there are varying levels of tinnitus and hyperacusis. A high level of reactivity has tinnitus change in volume for background noises, voices probably anything. A low level of reactivity would be a person who simply experiences spikes.

It's not enough for our bodies to screw us over in terms of phantom noise but also with the promise of spikes and worsening. 'Those with tinnitus' perhaps do not have this part of this condition while those of us who seek comfort here do. There has to be some physiological differences between those who seemingly do not care about 'ringing in the ears.' Those are my thoughts, anyway.

• Like x 4
      • Agree x 2
      • Good Question x 2
      • Winner x 1
      • Useful x 1
    2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      • Informative Informative x 4
    3. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Right about now I'm trying to remember my blood type. Darn it!

Out of 176 people exposed to 85-90 db for 8 hrs a day for over 10 years only 75 had NIHL. That's an interesting statistic!

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow. Can we keep this on file for whenever someone quotes a table of acceptable db levels/durations. 85-90 db for 8 hours is supposed to be "safe."

5. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      The OSHA 85 dB "safe" is more like "right on the edge of damage" for most individuals.

Interestingly, it looks like in Europe they take it down to 80 db for the lowest action level, and their max is 87, not 90 db. Our OSHA recommendations go back to the early 1980's, with all the research done earlier, so clearly out of date and need to be revisited.

"The Directive 2003/10/EC of the European Parliament and the Council of 6 February 2003, on the minimum health and safety requirements regarding the exposure of workers to the risks arising from physical agents (noise), constitutes the current European legislation regulating the protection of workers from the risk of NIHL [7]. Based on the ISO 1999 standard [8], the Directive sets limits of exposure depending on the equivalent noise level for an 8 h working day and obliges the employer to take suitable steps if the limits are exceeded. The Noise at Work Regulation [7] recommends three action levels for occupational settings:

• the first (lower) action level set at LEX,8h = 80 dBA;
      • the second (upper) action level set at LEX,8h = 85 dBA; and,
      • the maximum exposure limits set at LEX,8h = 87 dBA.

The limits are to be converted using the time-intensity trade-off of 3 dB increase for halving the time. For example, the exposure to noise at 97 dBA for 30 min a day would equate to the second action level (85 dBA for 8 h), under the assumption of long term exposure (Table 1). The first, lower action level of 80 dBA is the most conservative value, below which no consequences of exposure to occupational noise are expected."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664640/

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If I could only hear my T in a quiet room and it never got worse I wouldn't care about it one iota either.

Same with blond hair https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24303403
      Granted it's a small sample size, but I recall reading another study suggesting people with blue eyes are more susceptible to noise damage. Maybe it has something to do with melanin pigmentation in the cochlea.

7. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Interesting theory. That would explain why loud noises never give me spikes. Anyway, i prefer to stay on the safe side..

8. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      I have O :-o

• Winner Winner x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yep, also Type O.

10. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      What’s the mechanism behind this, I wonder. Small sample size though.

11. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Red

Someone can quote the OSHA specs, and I think already did, but I thought 85 db or if you have to yell to be heard was the time to take action. I thought you just threw a pair of ear muff on in loud environments and went on with life. It worked for me for almost 30 years. Darn it!

12. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Red,

I could have written about 90% of that as my own story. My profile says T since 2008. That is when it became bad, chronic, an affect on my daily life. I have probably had what you described your significant other has since the 70's.

13. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Where there you go, he barely even hears it and doesn't experience hyperacusis... Of course it doesn't bother him. If one couldn't handle tinnitus at that level than I'm not sure how they could handle life, as at that level, it is less intrusive than the sound of a ceiling fan on low.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is that why you are always arguing that loud noises shouldn't give other people spikes?

The OSHA regulations are horribly outdated.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      The difference... is every sound covered with a crackly high pitch mess?

16. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      You must be mistaken, I have never said anything of the sort. I am well aware that my situation is quite different from most people posting here.

17. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      I have type O, when I was a kid I had blond hair (got a bit darker with age) and blue eyes (got some of green color mixed in in my teen years).
      It seems that I won a lottery...
      @Red @Alue @Pero1234

18. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Know the feeling with type O as well, and blonde hair when I was younger. Wish we knew we had all these risk factors earlier on. Too late smart and all that...

19. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

• Genius Genius x 1
    20. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      @Alue Read those messages again, you'll understand how ridiculous your statement was.

"Some people are more vulnerable indeed" seemed pretty clear to me. Not only i never wrote the words you put in my mouth, but I actually said the opposite of what you claim.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    21. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, you cover your position by making it seem like there is this theory floating around that all people with tinnitus have compromised ears (I've never seen anyone claim that on this forum), but the crux of your argument was that there is no scientific evidence that people with hearing damage are more susceptible to additional damage, therefore it's more likely that it's all in their head.

22. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I believe some people have especially fragile ears. Not because a trauma compromised them, but because they were born with fragile ears. And I am skeptical about the traumas making the ears of some people more vulnerable, but i never said it was false. What i said is that there was nothing scientific to back the theory saying it was a systematic thing.
      And the "all in their head" is your interpretation, this is not what I think.

Type "our ears are compromised" in the search field.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    23. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25972177
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=16481444
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=19906956

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Whenever I read that phrase on this forum, I keep imagining ideologically opposed legislators in Parliament making "compromises" to a bill before being passed.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      This is not exactly the subject here. Although, I learnt that mice subject to an early "noise exposure" were apparently more prone to age-related hearing loss (if I understand correctly), which is interesting, I did not know that.

And I do not know if it can apply to humans, but if it is the case, sadly, almost all humans are subject to early "noise exposures".

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018