The Fireworks Question

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lauren Morse, Jul 5, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Lauren Morse

Lauren Morse Member

Salt Lake City
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma/Migraines
      Now, granted my T and sensitivity are so acute that I would never attend a fireworks shows or even get within 3 miles of them, and would absolutely never attend a show. But I still love to, as I do every year, go out and watch them at a greater than 3 mile distance. Should be totally safe right?

I am very concerned however that watching a fireworks show at around 5 miles away seemed to cause a T spike and dulled hearing in the right ear. The decibel level was around 70-75, maybe 80 for a few (a feeew) blasts, but one must factor in eardrum in the right ear was 'moving' a bit and was faced nearly right toward one show at a distance of 5 miles.
      I should also mention that my ears are like tissue paper and that there is something already really wrong with them (probably some kind of window fistulae). They 'break' just about every day from >=80 db noises and small pressure changes or straining, so I am not surprised.

Am I overthinking things and are the effects I am experiencing psychological, or was I in some kind of real danger? What sort of precautions should I take in the future?

Thank you for the input.
    2. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I really think you are overthinking things. Up close, use ear protection for sure, but at that distance you should be safe. If you feel uncomfortable, pop in some earplugs.
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Foncky

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An explosion, music, and fate.
      5 miles are a great hearing protection, don't worry. But next time just plug, so you will enjoy the show with no possible overthinking.
    4. Engineer

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      I was 500 feet away from a big display last night. I have a nice set Of plugs and did fine. I remember a couple of time afterwards going down the path of 'is my T louder' and outright dismissing the thought. Everything is fine today. Protect well (when required) and then give yourself permission to dismiss any anxiety.
    5. Fangen

Fangen Member Benefactor

Stockholm, Sweden
      Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      That distance is fine :)
      I have been scared of thunder and fireworks even before T, so I would stay home since I get more scared of the fear of getting a thunder strike in my head or fireworks gone wrong and shooting at me instead. Also, sudden noises scares me (before T) which has made it even worse for me after T. But that is just me, so don't take it as a thing you should be fearful of!
    6. glynis-harbron

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

England, Stoke-on-Trent
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think you will be ok from that distance and using protection in future but it's also how we cope emotionally.
      Anxiety wondering if fireworks will hurt your ears can also spoke tinnitus.

Wear earplugs or noise reduction plugs from a safe distance and you should be fine.
      We go to London for NewYear and see the great big firework display at a safe distance with plugs in and my coat good up and get on fine......lots of love glynis
      • Helpful Helpful x 1