The Gratitude Thread — Reasons Why I'm a Member of Tinnitus Talk

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by TuxedoCat, Dec 4, 2018.

1. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Someone once pointed out a simple fact to me. If the members of an organization can't say why they belong, it's likely the organization will shrink away. When I thought about it, it made a lot of sense. Giving a reason for belonging attracts others from the outside to join the organization and having a reason to stay keeps those that belong from leaving before they should.

When it comes to belonging to a tinnitus support group, there are other options. So why choose Tinnitus Talk?

Here are my reasons below. Please think about yours and add to this thread so that @Markku, @Steve, @Hazel, @glynis and other staff of Tinnitus Hub can see why we're here and why we appreciate all the work they do that keeps us here. Then, when you are thinking about gifts and donations you might make during this giving season, please consider Tinnitus Talk/Tinnitus Hub. This one is personal, it's up to you and from the heart. There's no goal or target amount to hit. It may be that all you can do is a sincere thank you and that is more than OK. To borrow from @Allan1967's playbook - just do something.

So here are some of my reasons for joining and continuing to be a member of Tinnitus Talk.
      1. I like the way information is organized and accessible on Tinnitus Talk and it's kept that way by members and by leadership. In my world that shows respect for information and those that use it. I appreciate that.
      2. Unlike a Facebook support group, the Tinnitus Talk format doesn't limit a message to being a short comment or reply. Case in point - You won't see pictures of @Jazzer's pussy cats or @Jack Straw's and MPP's memes on a Facebook group. At the same time, I like the ability to quote from another post to avoid having to repeat information when I post or reply.
      3. There's spirit here. People agree, people disagree, people curse, people make mistakes, people get it right, people rally for a cause, people push, people push back... Hardly ever a dull moment.
      4. Meaningful discussion leads to action. Things do get done here. This year with @Ed209's leadership and prodding, Tinnitus Talk raised £5,000 GBP in memory of @Danny Boy. Tinnitus Talk has a working relationship with BTA and @David Stockdale has been graciously accessible. There will be a scientific paper publication as a result and Danny will not be forgotten.
      5. The people here are diverse and colorful. Of all the reason's for belonging to Tinnitus Talk this is the main one - the people. I'm not going to name names for fear of leaving someone out. Instead just a Thank You for the privilege of meeting you and getting to know you. On January 1, 2018 I was in a deep depression, on January 1, 2019 I'll be better, maybe not 100%, but better. And you all have had a part in that.
      Tuxedo Cat

• Hug Hug x 10
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I feel safe here. Something I discussed at great length with @Markku after I joined Tinnitus Talk.

• Like Like x 5
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I come here because no one in my real life understands what it is like living with tinnitus. They either trivialize it, or don't take it seriously. People here are very kind, understanding and compassionate, which has helped me deal and cope with tinnitus. We all care about each other and want to push towards a cure.

I honestly just want to help other people who are struggling by giving some advice or some humor. I always feel better when I can laugh at my own expense or issues so I try to make others do the same.

I'm glad you like my memes @TuxedoCat!

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I originally came here because I was in a seriously dark place and my life had been turned upside down. I had to quit my band and my lifestyle had completely changed overnight. The only people who truly understood this was my fellow sufferers here on Tinnitus Talk. As time went on, I eventually left in order to sort out my life, and when I came back I decided to hang around for a while to try and help others.

The work that is done here is beyond incredible, and the accomplishments are never ending. Nothing is ever expected of anyone which is why I think Tinnitus Talk is so deserving of a small donation (if one can afford to) to show our appreciation - especially at this festive time - for all the hard work that the staff and volunteers do. We shouldn’t take all this for granted.

We all come from different backgrounds and different countries, and yea, every now and then we have fallings out, but who doesn’t? There is great diversity and freedom of speech.

There is everything from the latest research to MPP. Something for everyone (y)

Cheers Markku, Steve, Hazel, Glynis, Karen, Samir, and all the volunteers behind the scenes :beeranimation:

You’re all legends.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      When I first came on here I had really loud parmanent intrusive tinnitus.
      Guess what - I still have really loud permanent intrusive tinnitus.

But there is a difference.
      I can now reach out to people like myself, who are also suffering from this truly horrible condition, who understand, who know the truth of it, who will not dismiss it, or make light of it, who I know will care for me just as deeply as I care for them.
      And we are talking ‘Deeply.’

We can share our knowledge, our ideas, coping methods, therapies, comforting thoughts, encouragements, give hugs, receive hugs, and share our affection and our love for each other.

Outside of “T” we can amuse each other with our life experiences, anecdotes, cartoons, memes, share our music, make friendships.

Myself, I have gone from being a very busy, much respected professional jazz musician, first call trombonist for five different bands simultaneously, to having no career and no income whatsoever; however I do contribute to the running costs of Tinnitus Talk because I feel that that is the least that we can all do.

My wife and I work tirelessly to support and run charitable campaigns for the Royal Marsden Children’s Cancer Hospital in Sutton, and for the children’s wards of various other London hospitals.

One thing I should add is that in a forum such as this, members can not possibly always see ‘eye to eye.’
      Differences of opinion are a given.
      Having said that, I respect all of the other members I have met on here, and wish them well, even though I may not agree with everything said.
      Integrity says that we must all speak from ‘who we truly are.’

Best wishes to everybody,
      I hope you all have the best Christmas possible,
      Much love,
      Dave x
      Jazzer

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This forum is a major procrastination tool that helps me to avoid being productive.

I can also learn from others' experiences and reduce the chance of getting a tinnitus spike.
      Not when it comes to suicide...

7. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Suicide is openly talked about all the time on here, and euthanasia. Nothing is off limits as far as I can see except for obvious things like personal abuse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I was reading multiple suicide and euthanasia topics here last night, it doesn't look like suicide is a taboo here?

• Agree Agree x 5
    9. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Having the courage to talk about ‘it’ reduces its power to become the ‘elephant in the room.’

• Agree Agree x 1