The Holmfield Hum

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Damocles, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      I posted about this in the Tinnitus News thread yesterday, but unfortunately it got buried very quickly.

Story is about a village in Yorkshire, England, where a continuous hum can be heard by (almost) all of the residents.
      Anyway, while this isn't directly linked to tinnitus, I wanted to mention the story because one of the things that disassembles my life quite frequently (since I developed severe tinnitus) is noise nuisance.
      So this is the petition, which I hope people here will sign out of some karmic duty pertaining to "what if it were me (in this situation)".

Petition has to reach 1000 signatures (currently at just over 500) for Calderdale Council to feel obliged to seriously approach the problem with any urgency.

Also, just feels like these sorts of events need to be nipped in the bud, and a message to be made, to prevent them from spreading to where we live in future.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      This story sounds similar to the phenomenon known as ‘The Hum’ which have been reported in different parts of the world.

You think there might some connection with it?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Dude, my mind is figuratively blown right now.

I had no idea this was happening all over the world.

I think it would be easy to say, yes these are connected, and it's probably something supernatural: like alien technology coming to life under those locations.

War of the Worlds (2005) - The Machine Emerges...

Or some geomagnetic phenomenon.

But I think the more likely explanation is us (the human species) making our own habitat unliveable, in an effort to maintain the lifestyle we all expect to enjoy, as we've already managed to do in so many varying and creative ways.

As I said in the news thread, I think it's only a matter of time before events like these spread and become more frequent due to progress in technology (think drones flying overhead 24/7) and alternative methods of harvesting energy.

It's a smaller scale, but when my family first moved into these apartments, we didn't really suffer bothersome noise. But now it's the norm for everyone to have driers in their apartments, and so that's all you can hear, day and night, reverberating through the walls; is the hum of driers. Hence why I want out of London (all overpriced apartment buildings and terraced properties), where I can eventually afford a detached house.

Anyway, I'm not complaining. I want to live with electricity, heating and an endless supply of potato waffles as much as the next guy. I just hope the same guys that are working on our treatment can figure this sort of stuff out too, eventually.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just got done reading your links. I had no idea wind turbines can produce annoying noise. Solar energy seems like the way to go in that regard. I want to move out of the city too at some point as well.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Less than 500 signatures to go!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I will sign once my nails have finished drying...

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      Or maybe somebody is just drilling because at one point in the future there might be a need to seek shelter underground:

Michio Kaku on WR 104 Apocalypse!!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1