The Masking Boogeyman

Discussion in 'Support' started by Blujay, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      I'm learning that there are a couple of disadvantages to masking (the advantages are obvious). The first is of particular concern:

1. Frequent masking makes it difficult to know whether you are making the tinnitus worse during daily activities.

2. Masking can have an underlying negative psychological effect: it's like hiding the boogeyman behind a curtain, knowing that he will simply jump out in a quieter moment and show you the truth. Anticipating this can give masking a real bittersweet feel, (with emphasis on the bitter).

Has anyone dealt with these hurdles?

2. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Blujay do you realise you have had T 115 years? Lol
      Anyway I agree with you. My T is reactive, so masking fails, my T simply competes and raises its game. Plus I actually did not want another alien noise in my ear. Plus in my opinion normal life could perhaps mask T but my brain is cleverer than any masker, turn the masking off, hey, yes it's still there, brain still focusing on it no matter what tricks I try.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Masking devices I have heard are going to not be used on the NHS soon and more to do with talking therapy.

We have a visitor to the tinnitus group I run with another lady on Wednesday and the visitor is a audiologist from our main hospital so will be putting that question to her.....lots of love glynis

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Exactly the same here. If I could mask at times I would be a new man. I guess the shower helps me but that's it. I take 3-4 a day, can't spend my life in there but it really is nice.

5. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I used masking for a couple of weeks to try to help get some sleep, but I'm not sure it helped much. In the daytime I made a conscious decision that I did not want to fool myself or hide from reality. It made me feel awful, really sick in my stomach, but I felt that if this was what being me was gonna be like from now on then I had to come to terms with it. I think this approach made my experience harder in the short term, but possibly easier in the long term (i.e. I probably got used to what my tinnitus sounded like quicker). I also refused the benzos and antidepressants the doctors were pushing for similar reaons.

I'm not sure whether I should recommend this approach, although it felt like the only real option for me. I still feel depressed and struggle to accept the idea that silence and real inner peace are lost to me. But I did manage to let go of the anxiety after a few weeks and start sleeping again. I think melatonin helped with sleep more than masking (only used one bottle). People are different - I think you have to do what feels right for you.

6. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @glynis that is interseting i would like to hear more what the dear old NHS are doing now. My audiologist also says TRT is no longer approved of in the NHS. Trouble is getting good talking therapy is just as hard sadly.

7. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      Me personally need a masking device to lower my anxiety attacks,without T it's already a given condition with PTSD.
      So i basically need it for certain parts at night and since my work is mostly outside and the T almost not noticeable i obviously don't need it 24/7.I want to be able to relax in the evening without having anxiety to worry about.

8. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe download nature sounds on a phone or ipad, lots of apps are available. Water is a nice one. you could play it on a timer so it goes off after how ever long you want. i was doing that a few months ago but no longer need to now.

9. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?

Also hoping the hearing aid to have some effect,it might help in gaining back the lost frequencies,who knows?.
      Anyway i want something that's directly in contact with my ears without having to use other devices like radio or TV.

10. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @glynis,
      I was lucky I got my masking devices earlier this year. A new tinnitus support group has started at Blackpool Victoria hospital. 2 nd meeting tomorrow 6th Nov 1.30 pm. Best wishes to you and your group. @Gill Hayes noticed you are in the north west so have tagged you if you are nearby. I regularly read your success story as I find it
      Helps a lot. Regards phil

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Phil,
      Great to hear a tinnitus support group as started in Blackpool...is it a BTA one ?....lots of love glynis

12. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @glynis
      Yes. The audiologist at the hospital has organised it. It would be a shame if maskers were stopped on the nhs. No trt either as far as I am aware. I am following @I who love music back to silence method. Best wishes phil