The Only Thing That Helps Me When Tinnitus Flares Up... (ACRN Web App)

Discussion in 'Support' started by mintblue, May 25, 2016.

1. mintblue
      Supportive

mintblue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      This wonderful person made a do-it-yourself Acoustic Coordinated Reset Neuromodulation (ACRN) app you can use in your browser. Unfortunately it doesn't work on my iPhone but I don't mind running my earplugs to my laptop in the evening. This is literally the only thing that gives me solace from tinnitus when it flares up. I'm sure it's been posted before but I wanted to share it again for any newcomers because it's simply breathtaking for me.

http://generalfuzz.net/acrn/

Hope this helps some of you!

Sidenote: Keep the volume as low as possible while still masking your tinnitus otherwise it's like peeing upwind.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Very long thread on ACRN here, with special mention of general fuzz. The suggested use of ACRN is that it's most effective when you listen 4 to 6 hours each day. Course of treatment takes 3 months to 2 years, I think, just going from memory.

You can download Audacity and record a 10-minute ACRN from generalfuzz.net, transfer it to your iPhone, set it to infinite loop playback. Then you'll have it wherever you go.

3. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      I recorded it in a lossless format for 10 minutes and edited the recording to have the same interval after at the end. If you put it on your iPhone using a lossless format you won't be able to hear the moment it repeats.

4. jacomien
      Frustrated

jacomien Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Anyone tried this in the Tinnitus Clinic?

• Like Like x 1
    5. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      My recording is 30 minutes so I never notice the moment it repeats. I've been listening to it every day for 2 months now, and I'm becoming convinced that it's helping to lower the severity of my tinnitus. I plan to use ACRN as part of my regimen for at least 6 months.

I recorded my audio from generalfuzz.net in lossless FLAC format with Audacity, and then converted it to the highest quality MP3 available in Sony Vegas Pro (can't remember the specs now). I did this because my iPhone 4S doesn't accept FLAC files. Can you tell me how you get your FLAC files onto your iPhone?

6. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      I convert them to AIFF, which is Apple's lossless format and can be synced with an iPhone. You'd have to make sure that iTunes doesn't downsample high bitrate files.

7. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Thanks. Sony Vegas doesn't have AIFF export option; neither does Format Factory. Audacity mentions it on their Wikipedia page, so I'll check that later to see if their file export option includes AIFF.

So far the MP3 file seems to be working for me, but obviously the less loss, the better.

8. JCA

JCA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 days after Pfyzer first dose
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknow but Pfyzer 1st dose seems to be the culprit
      Thanks for posting this, I can't believe where my tone ended up. I actually have had some relief!

Strange the things we are willing to try. My wife thinks I'm completely nuts but she also can't hear what I'm hearing.

Thanks @mintblue.

9. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      Does this only work when listening with headphones? About 30 seconds after listening to this, my tinnitus calmed down about 10-20%.

10. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Works well for me.