The Pineapple Fund: Someone Is Giving Away ~5K Bitcoins for Charitable Causes

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Markku, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      pineapple-fund.png
      I only became aware of this incredible effort an hour ago, hence only this brief coverage.

Submissions for funding requests close today, December 27th, meaning there's not a lot of time to act.

I have just now reached out to the major charities who are involved in funding tinnitus research to make them aware of the opportunity.

In regards to health-related non-profits, the anonymous person behind the fund has stated on Reddit that they are happy to consider funding charities dealing with medical research, but at the moment not organizations who are focused solely on awareness aspects.

I believe Tinnitus Research Initiative, British Tinnitus Association, American Tinnitus Association, Hyperacusis Research, Action on Hearing Loss, Hearing Health Foundation could all be potential recipients of funds, among others.

No matter what, this is quite thrilling for many charities, and for many causes. The Internet Archive received $1M and they were pretty happy. MAPS - whose mission is to legalize psychedelic medicine for PTSD and other conditions - received a generous $1M as well. And not only that but MAPS received another almost $1M on top of that, from a second donor, quoting The Guardian article; "After making news of the Pineapple Fund donation public, Maps recieved a further anonymous donation of almost $1m in bitcoin, Doblin said."

All the so-far funded charities can be found on the Pineapple Fund's website.

Even if tinnitus as a cause may have missed the boat on this opportunity (for starters, the looming deadline is quite unfortunate), I am nothing short of hugely impressed by the philanthropy shown here - whomever may be behind this fund, I wish them nothing but the best in all future endeavors.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      The identity is known among bitcoin holders, but there's more to it. It's only been recently that charities liked accepting bitcoin as they wanted cash instead. I offered quite a bit of bitcoin to a world leading animal hospital earlier this year and they wanted a check instead. So I wrote them two checks. They should have had taken the bitcoin.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      May I ask why you haven't created a thread about the Pineapple Fund on here before, if you were aware of this earlier on? I just became aware of it today. You wouldn't have needed to expose the identity of the person if you knew it, just a general thread would have been pretty useful.

It seems most charities involved with tinnitus research weren't aware of this fund either - my contact round today suggests so.

It would have been great if you had made organizations aware of this, giving them more time to set up a Bitcoin address and fill the application.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I should have had said that the identity is known because there's only one with this bitcoin wealth. This person has a reason for his giving. There's only five individuals known to have multiple millions invested. From what I know is that this wasn't known before the 20th of this month. It was only discussed after some profit taking on Wednesday.

Investing in futures, hedging and hedge fund funding is a world of scams and what is called 'front loading' is common. Bitcoin may be the same and Warren Buffett has made some interesting remarks on Friday. Bitcoin has a lot of not real character investors so that confusion to government agencies is common. Some bitcoin giving is a scam and it never enters on the books of those as receivers.

I expect a lot more giving will come. I was involved with research and trading of bio tech and medical stocks for a group, but not this year, since my new onset of tinnitus. If you like we can talk sometime about how to receive contributions.

https://hackernoon.com/meet-the-founder-who-pledged-5-057-btc-86m-to-charity-688685e922f6

Read the comments.

It appears that it was known before the 14th December, but some media didn't publish until 3 days ago. That's when I heard about the Pineapple Fund new ventures of funds. Lets hope for a good positive new year.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Greg, you seem to have the most experience with bitcoins on this forum. Do you think that funding is possible?

• Like Like x 1
    6. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer Actually I don't have a lot of experience with bitcoins. I did get in early, but I'm out as of last week. I don't know if I can get some funding, but I like to try. I'm no one special or has name recognition - just someone not in good health. I know one person who manages money/investments for some very rich well known people. Some of these people have many managing their money and few manage more than a few percent of one person's net worth. Maybe he can get some contributions.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
      • Informative Informative x 1