The Quieter the Place the Quieter the Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joe Bananas, Mar 8, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Joe Bananas
      Dreaming

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hello all!
      How could it be? I am experiencing this since my T onset exactly five months ago. When, for example, in my room at its quietest my T seems to calm and go also to its quietest point. Then, when I move to louder environments, T seems to go louder and always unmaskable. Is this a form of hyperacusis? May I hope it to get it settled at its quieter spot? Damn, this is weird!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Joe,

You may not necessarily have hyperacusis, but you probably do have a form of reactive tinnitus. Mine is like that, too. If I'm in a very quiet environment, my tinnitus usually settles down. Noise, particularly noises on a certain level, can make it seem worse.

And I've noticed that if I'm in a quiet environment all day, my ear stays fairly calm. But if I come into a quiet house from outside, it usually causes my ear to seem much louder.

Is yours like that?

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Mine T is also like this. At night in bed it is the quietest! Around loud environments or when watching tv it is so loud!

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      My T was like that but this is getting better after a few months on LLLT
      Basically you have hair cells and/or nerve damage, the frequencies that correspond to the damaged cells will set off t
      This will be getting better once the hair cells or nerves heal a bit

• Like Like x 1
    5. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      My T also seems to calm down in quiet surroundings and ramps up when things get louder, but i feel it is slowly settling down after 5 months. Time seems to be the great healer in this. I guess after a while you will develop a baseline which is less responsive to ambient noise.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      Sebastians - has your t changed in pitch over time ?

7. Joe Bananas
      Dreaming

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Well, mine seems to has "comfort areas". I mean, I can be in a bar where average decibels range around 60-70 and I am still being able to hear the buzz. Then, as soon as I get on my bicycle on my way home it gets quieter. Once I arrive home and I am in my bed the basterd is at its quietest. It also works the other way around. The annoying thing is that some times now I had it 100% masked in 50dbs environments and, other times, at home, when at 30dbs I play a tune in my PC and also gets 100% masked.

8. Joe Bananas
      Dreaming

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Our mate @liquefact has experienced some sort of shit like this as he told in other thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Fangen
      Playful

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Wow, that is interesting. My T is the loudest in silence rather the other way around. The best time is when I have some kind of noise around, that usually drowns out most of my T even if that electrical buzzing/pitch can be heard if I try to make it out of all the other noises.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. AlexSongitus

AlexSongitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Some of it could also be perception. You hear T in a quiet space, and then move to a louder one. The average db of the room increased, but your T is in your head, and still audible. It can create the perception your T gets louder, because your brain registers an average volume increase in the room, yet your T is still audible, thus the perception that it's also rising in volume. If it was an outside source, your brain knows it should drown in the noise. If you had no T and your T was being played in a speaker in a quiet room, and the room got louder, your brain would expect that speaker to drown in the noise, so if it's still audible when the average db increase, your brain interprets that as someone turning up the volume of the speaker in order for it to remain audible above the average increase. But it's in your head, so the only way you could really over power it is with headphones and white noise at close range to your ears, so it's entirely possible there is no change and your brain's perception of its loudness changes to match the changes in an environment. Just a theory.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      @Bobby B
      Yes it has changed in pitch. First month or two it was a very harsh cricket sound, then a hissing sound (air leak from tyre). Ever since i did the am-101 injection, it has a more metallic ring to it and it seems to become more tonal in character recently. I welcome change, as long as it's not getting louder or more intrusive.

• Useful Useful x 1
    12. liquefact
      Balanced

liquefact Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Dude, calm down. This is not hyperacousis. Your brain is obsessed with the sound and wants to hear it no matter what. This is I believe some sort of reactive tinnitus and sourced in brain.
      In my understanding, this kind of reactivity shall go away when you start ignoring the T and stop gauging it. Or at least you'll stop noticing the fluctuations. So just let it be, you probably have more important things to do in your life than constantly measuring the loudness.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      You're right that that ignoring is what needs to be done, though i don't fully agree on this. I experience little tinnitus when being in a quiet room and putting my fingers in the ear. When being around sounds and all that i notice my tinnitus much more and it reacts to certain sounds, meaning impossible to ignore nor adapt to. I think my ear can't process certain sounds anymore.. I guess some nerve/inner hair connection is damaged when talking about reactive tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Joe Bananas
      Dreaming

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      And then, when receiving those signals your ear can not process is when your T goes nuts.

15. greenhopper

greenhopper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It's not the tinnitus which changes. It's the noise of the environment which shows you how loud your tinnitus is in relation to the environment. In quiet places there is no related noise. I guess then it's easier for the brain to adapt when there are no surrounding sounds.
      In my case it's pretty much the same, I have no problem at all when it is quiet.

16. Joe Bananas
      Dreaming

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Can't agree, mate. At least in my case. If I had to sleep with a T which remains unmaskable at 70dbs I would have become crazy sometime ago.

17. liquefact
      Balanced

liquefact Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      You're probably right about your description. There's a nerve and/or cochlea damage and less/corrupted signals are sent to brain. Brain auditory center in turn tries to make up for the lost/corrupt information and it increases the gain to get more info (I believe it does some other post processing too.). This is why in louder places we have louder T and also H.

Anyways, trying to be calm and ignoring the whole thing definitely helps. I understand the importance of this more and more as time passes by. Do not think the worst, believe that in overall it'll get better and you'll get better.

• Like Like x 2
    18. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I consider mine changes. When I go to bed my head rings as opposed to me feeling tired. When I stop reading and get comfy and breath deeply it quiet end right down.
      If I am due a quiet T day, it will be nearly inaudible in the morning and stay that way, though sometimes the high hiss really drives me nuts. Near bedtime it will start going up getting ready for the fact the next day is going to be a noisy day. This cycle has run for months now.
      Also if I go somewhere noisy like a shop the volume goes up, I always hear it above all noise. It usually calms down again, though not completely, in a quiet environment.

If I could stop the cycle I would happy

19. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yess!!

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      I used to think my reactive T was like this. But it seems to change so inconsistently.

Sometimes silence is when it is the quietest and least painful/intrusive and I can hear it over everything.
      Other days, the reactive part lowers in volume so far that for the vast majority of the day I can mask EVERYTHING.
      There have been periods/days where it was gone completely.

It makes no sense. If I could get the reactive part to totally disappear, for good and just leave the rest of the T I have, I could habituate already and pretty much have a totally normal life again.