The Reason Behind Me Not Using Silicon-Type Earplugs

Discussion in 'Support' started by victoria9273, Aug 25, 2017.

1. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Okay, one day I thought my 3M earplugs are tiring and uncomfortable to wear on and off, and that's why I looked up and bought a silicon one, AKA musician's earplugs, that can be thrusted to your ears right up.

And it was a huge disappointment for me. It doesn't block out sounds like foam types would do. And you might know that these kind of types are 3 layered silicon thing, which means they are not fastened inside your ears and makes a slight dangling sound as you walk.

And the most important one is that it has a plastic rod that you can grap.. What happens if you mistakenly touch them either with your fingers or your fingernails? It makes a horrible, loud, solid vibrating sound inside your ears, one that can make a person quite taken aback. Same thing happens fairly all the time whenever you try to put them off.

In these regard, I think very highly of plain foam earplugs.

2. UpDownAround
      Spaced

UpDownAround Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I use silicone a lot. If they are dangling, they are not seated properly. One of the three rings will fit your canal. When properly seated, they don't make a sound when you walk. You also won't fiddle with them much, if at all, when they are inserted correctly. When you take them out or put them in, there is a silicon collar at the base of the plastic rod for grasping. If you do touch the plastic rod, the sound it makes is a lot like chewing, swallowing and other sounds make when you have foam or silicone earplugs in. It seems loud, but it is not jarring to me; it's no worse than chewing with foam earplugs. It doesn't make me wince like the sounds I am avoiding would. I understand you prefer foam over silicone. That's fine and a personal choice. But there is a reason the higher end earplugs are nearly all silicone.

I have foam ones also. I use them when I need a greater reduction in sound and don't care about the quality of sound as much. Foam tends to muffle in a way that makes dialog difficult to understand and muddies music. It's kind of annoying that they need to be thrown away even if you had a short term need for them. They can't be cleaned like silicone. But they both have their uses.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Maybe I should have bought a bigger one to fit my ear canal.

I now see everything has ups and downs. I sincerely apologise if I put too much force on my opinion. And reading from your comment made me think of this silicon earplugs quite positively. They are way convenient and looks good, aren't they?

4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I prefer the silicone ones because I do not have to touch the part that is inserted in my ear. Sometimes I'm out with my kids at a park or their school and my hands are not clean nor germ free. Plus, I feel like I can insert musician plugs faster than rolling foam plugs, inserting them, then holding them in place until they shape correctly.

I will say that I was not impressed with the first musician plugs I bought. I stuck to foam for a while. Then I found a slightly different style (three versus two flanges) with better protection, and I was really pleasantly surprised by how they worked for me.

It's a lot of trial and error!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I hope my next silicon one will be better. I'll surely try more, thanks!

6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Quite a few members have custom made earplugs that they really like. Might be worth looking into!

• Like Like x 1