There's Something ON My Eardrum (As Seen on My Digital Otoscope)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alue, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have a digital otoscope that I bought when I had ear infections. This past week I've been wearing earplugs a lot and I decided to use it to check on the irritation of my ear canals. It looks like there is something on my left eardrum. I took a picture of it. It looks like a small spec of film or something. It's slightly translucent.

Is anyone here familiar with looking at otoscope pictures. I know a couple members have mentioned it. I'm not sure if I should just leave it as is or try to flush it out.

I know, should got to a doctor etc., but I *really* don't have the time for that now with work.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Can you post it?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      eardrum.jpg

Here. Let me know if you can see it. I can get a better quality image if needed.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Alue When I read your description, I thought it had to be wax. But when I looked at the image and saw those straight edges, I am pretty sure that it is debris/dust. If I were you, I would watch it for a couple of days, and hope that my body clears it naturally. It ought to stick to wax and be carried right out...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah, I've been working in a lab where I have to glove up and have been wearing earplugs most of the week. I just wonder where the debris came from. Seems to large to be dust. It looks slightly translucent to me, do you agree? It actually looks like it folds over itself at one point.

I hope it's nothing that could cut my eardrum or irritate it further.

I'm just wondering if it would be safe to try to flush it out with some warm (body temperature) water. That or olive oil.

My ears really do not produce much wax.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, it looks like a metal-foil type of a material. It is laying flat on your eardrum, so I don't think you need to worry about it scratching the it. You need to apply force in order to cut or scratch. You could try taking a bath and submerging your head under water. It would seem that the next step would be trying olive oil.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It looks like clear plastic. It seems to have a reflective surface.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hmm. Could be very thin aluminum foil, but I doubt it would be that translucent. I can think of a few places where foil could have come from. If it was from work, contamination is a slight concern.

Debating water or olive oil. I really don't think a perforation is possible. I can see my eardrum move with pressure changes still (yawning etc.).

My OCD is kicking into overdrive, because I have the tendency to want to 'fix' everything.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Can't you try both? If you try both, I think water is the least invasive method so that is what I would start with. You might even try soapy water, in case there is some fat between that debris and your eardrum that is causing it to stick.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hmm. That's a good point. I was going to start with clean water from a water bottle first. (I don't have any sterile water). I put a heating pad around it to warm it up to close to body temperature. I guess if there is no rupture, it really shouldn't matter. I know with a punctured or ruptured eardrum you do not want to let water get into your ear.

I have a big busy day tomorrow, and don't have too long before I need to go to bed.

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hope you will be able to get that thing off tonight!

12. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That matches what I see, too. Does it bother you?
      I'm not sure it's worth doing much at this time except keeping an eye on it (which you can do since you have the otoscope). It doesn't seem sharp enough to threaten anything there.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Tried water several times. That didn't work. Tried body temperature olive oil. That seemed to work!

Here is the same ear drum after using a bit of olive oil:

eardrum-after-olive-oil.jpg

I think the otoscope is pointing upside down, so there's no way to see the bottom area, but the fact that it moved makes me feel better.

You see stuff like that from time to time? Maybe I shouldn't obsess about it so much.

It seems like it moved, though. Ear feels like it's been underwater now, but that's probably to be expected.

• Like Like x 1
    14. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't check my ear drum that often actually... I've never seen something like that though.

Glad it came out.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah. I never saw the piece, so I have no way of telling if it's in the bottom part of my ear canal, but at least it moved off my eardrum.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So I didn't want to make a new thread, but I just took another look at my eardrums again today and my left eardrums looks a little green and cloudy. What the hell?

17. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      This made me look at mine. Not sure if the gunk is on the eardrum. Any thoughts?

1 month ago it was totally clean, but have been using foam earplugs alot more recently.

Attached Files:

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That is weird. It doesn't look like it's on your eardrum, but it's hard to tell from this angle.

Here is mine:
      It looks like there are little flakes where it's bulging and green.

One thought. I went to an MRI place yesterday to test out the noise. They turned the MRI on for me so I could see if I could tolerate the noise with earplugs/muffs. I wonder if I had any metal flakes in my ears when it happened?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. My ears don't feel any different. No pain etc. This is the same eardrum I had the flake in.

Attached Files:

19. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you feel fine you are fine. Definitely. (I am no ENT, but I dont think it looks strange)

I have significant pain in my ear (which I assume is noise induced)... It actually increased after using the otoscope. Maybe Ill check with an ENT...

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah, if you have significant pain I'd get it checked out. When did the pain start?

The bulging in my eardrum is what seems the strangest to me. Doesn't it look like it's kind of bubbling/bulging out? Now I'm wishing I hadn't looked at my eardrum LOL. It's a good tool for monitoring things, but it can make you a little paranoid.

I actually didn't have any pain the last time I had an ear infection. I just started feeling dizzy and light headed.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    21. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      looks like metal filings, or some confetti or something.

22. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Went to an ENT today. He promptly said "You have stuff on your eardrum. I will remove it. I can't use suction because of the noise, so will use this metal tool." He also identified a retracted eardrum. Finally an ENT I like.

Most likely from dirty foam plugs. Will ensure I don't reuse them as much from now on.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    23. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      did it tickle?

24. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I would not say tickle. It felt like he was pulling my eardrum = Pain. Like if he grabbed your skin and pulled...

It only took a couple of seconds. But somewhat scary as he told me to be very, very STILL. A sudden movement could make things bad (I was worried that a noise from somewhere would trigger my crazy H startle reflex)

25. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know the feeling.

26. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I find any pulling of the ear drum extremely uncomfortable. I have a very hard time dealing with it. When I had my surgery and my surgeon went in to remove the scabs around the ear drum, it was unexpectedly painful.

27. Chaz

Chaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Alue, what otoscope do you use? The image quality is fantastic.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's a Depstech endoscope that I bought online years ago. It was pretty cheap at the time. It came with little cone shaped covers for ear insertion.

It doesn't seem to be for sale anymore and I honestly cannot comment on the products I see listed now.

• Like Like x 1