Thinking About It 90% of Time

Discussion in 'Support' started by Benoves, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      Dear people,

I have a question. The tinnitus is always in my head. Right now I don't even hear i that much. Play some music and am working. But even when I don't hear it really the thought is constant in my head. I'm not searching for it but always thinking about it even when I don't hear it. Don't get me wrong I can always hear it if I listen to it. The beeping it was in the beginning has made such an impact that I can't forget?

Really appreciate some help/tips,

Wish you the best
      Benoves

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      I know this all too well... I believe it's like OCD.

Always there in your mind, even if you don't hear it you think about it.
      Personally, I have decided to contact a mental coach to get help on how to get my mind off it.

Good luck my friend!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Bartek
      Alone

Bartek Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo withdrawal
      I Have the same problem even when i am masking it i am thinking of it

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      It took me about three months to get past thinking about it almost constantly. And I had to learn a bit about ERP therapy ("exposure and response prevention"), a technique for dealing with OCD. A therapist or psychologist could help (one that deals with tinnitus specifically, if you can find one), but I didn't engage with one myself. Bottom line is you have to find a way to break the anxiety cycle — if you can hear your tinnitus and accept it without negative feelings like anxiety, then over time you will start to think about it less. Takes practice and time.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think this is normal for people with certain personality types.

Mediation, yoga etc may not do too much to the actual volume of tinnitus, at least in many cases, but are absolutely great tools for dealing with what you're describing.

Most people, of all types, are basically slaves to their own minds. You're recognizing this tendency in yourself. If you learn how to become a passive observer of your own insanities instead of being an active participant, you may be amazed at how much your experience of life changes.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I can relate. And ask months went by, I began thinking less and less about it.

If you have been experiencing improvement, it is a good sign. Your T ought to continue to fade.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. ridgew

ridgew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004->2012->2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      With time you forget how it was to live without tinnitus. Years on and it becomes part of the environment, you just get used to it. Hard to believe, but that's how it is for most.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks guys! Really appreciate your words. I Would really love to not think about i all the time like it was in the first 3 days. Asked a psychologist for help today and Will get some treatment. Hope they can lower my fear and better my sleep. I'm really looking forward to cope better. I want to live life. I Dont want to suffer all My life.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try amitriptyline. It is non-addictive and it didn't make me feel drowsy in the morning.

Also, make sure you have good sound enrichment...

10. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

This video on dealing with "Intrusive Thoughts" helped me in the past. I hope that it will help you too. It's useful for more than just intrusive thoughts regarding T.

Intrusive Thoughts Treatment - How to Stop...

11. Thereisnogod
      Suicidal

Thereisnogod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011 & 02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I'm in the same boat as you man, I also think the constant fear of it getting worse makes it hard for me to cope and habituate as well. Furthermore, after my increase I started experiencing floaters and visual snow as well which makes it even more frustrating. So yeah, you're not alone stay strong man. Peace.

12. Rainbowsheep
      Cheerful

Rainbowsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, I suppose
      I've had the same problem in the beginning of my spike. Even when my tinnitus was marked by other sounds I would obsess about it worrying if it had got any worse or maybe less loud and. It was the first thing I though about in the morning and the last thing I thought about in the evening.
      Luckily now I have moments when I don't think about it at all. I still think about it 60% of the time but it is an improvement and it continues to change for the better so that hopefully I will return to the stage I was at before the spike where I would only notice my T whenever I sat in silence or at night trying to fall a sleep and even when I did notice it it didn't both er me at all. So yeah. Keep fighting. I believe it does get better with time and acceptance!

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I feel Lucky for you, you Will get there! Hope i'll get there too.