This Is Crazy

Discussion in 'Support' started by tesspad, Dec 13, 2015.

1. tesspad

tesspad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown possibly medication or auto immune disease
      I'm new to this and the tinnitus is very loud probably 7 out of 10 I just tried some white noise that seemed to make this pitch worse it's constant and the tone goes up and down every few seconds I'm having tremors all over like my nerves are shot is this a normal reaction ?
      Feeling dizziness and can't sleep already had a problem not sleeping so perfect right ?! I was diagnosed with graves disease 4 years ago making this so much harder to deal with was planning to get a thyroidectomy now I'm wondering will that be a huge mistake right now :/

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. diver
      Inspired

diver Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/11/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving, Drinking, Vestibular Hit 12 years before onset
      Hang in there NO SALT!! zanax would prob help plenty of water try to just let go and relax zanax def helps at first then u will have to work on habituation... Ginko, lipo bioflavanoid plus, fruit, vegies not sure what graves disease is?

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tesspad

tesspad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's a auto immune disease that attacks the thyroid and becomes over active so hyperthyroidism affecting every cell in the body so basically a high metabolic state causing everything to speed up heart rate blood pressure causing insomnia anxiety now tinnitus go figure

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Make sure you play the white noise set below your tinnitus sound.
      Your brain works extra hard to pick up the lower white noise sound and push your tinnitus sound to the back ground.
      This helps your brain to adjust to tinnitus and not see it as a threat and ignore your tinnitus sound.

Tinnitus comes with lots of unwanted emotions and can be hard to cope with at first but their is help .
      See your doctor if you need help with anxiety that can make you dizzy too and if your mood drops and impacts on every day...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @tesspad
      It is best that you are examined at ENT but see you GP first. Consider using sound enrichment at with a a sound machine. As Glynis says, keep the white noise below your tinnitus. If you have been using headphones I advise you not to even at low volume.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tesspad

tesspad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I saw my endocrinologist and he did give me xanex so that has helped me sleep then I went to the ent who recommended I get a hearing test and do masking also referred me to a insomnia clinic havn't done the test yet or the clinic the white noise I used was from my phone YouTube anyway my concern is when I run out of anxiety meds these doctors don't generally prescribe them I'm not going to be able to handle this without them at least especially at night and when I have plans to remove my thyroid idk how or if this will get worse and the depression that comes with a thyroidectomy alone probably will be too much I just don't know what to do.

7. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Well, hyperthyroidism, I'm pretty sure, can cause tinnitus. So speak to a doctor about your concerns, but its likely that the removal of the thyroid would be a good thing for you.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tesspad

tesspad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does the Ginko lipobioflavanoid plus help?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tesspad

tesspad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The doctor said he thinks it's unrelated at least to the anti thyroid medication he didn't say my hyperthyroidism would have caused it but I read somewhere that both hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism can cause tinnitus mainly it was the hypo witch I will be after a thyroidectomy obviously so that's why I was worried that the noise would become louder than it is now

10. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Just wanted to say you CAN do it without medication. This started for me 8 weeks ago when I was 26 weeks pregnant and I was suffering panic attacks, extreme anxiety, difficulty sleeping, then I became depressed. My thought process went from extreme anxiety that I was going to die (even before the T onset) to "well, if I die at least I won't have to listen to this sound anymore or feel this way constantly." That was when I knew I needed help.

I got a prescription for zoloft for my anxiety from my OBGYN however I never picked it up from the pharmacy. I really didn't want to take the medication for fear of what it would do to my unborn child so instead I found a new therapist who specalizes in mindful mediation coupled with counseling and she agreed to take me on despite her waiting list.. I've been seeing her every week, 2x a week for about 5 weeks now and have noticed drastic improvement in my anxiety and the way I feel overall. Because of this, I have been able to stay off anxiety medication and manage my stress better.

Not saying it will work for everyone or that my T is as bad as yours as it varies from person to person but controlling my anxiety through meditation has helped me tremendously and most importantly I did it without anxiety medication.. I still have bad days when I feel like I'm going to crack but for the most part I can manage.. You can also try acupuncture.. If you're unable to control your anxiety without medication though, I would seek out a psychiatrist who will know the correct dosage and continue to prescribe for you as medically needed. Don't worry about running out of medicine because if it is truly needed I'm sure you can find a reputable dr who will agree and prescribe them for you.

Just wanted to give some alternative suggestions :) I know if I wasn't pregnant, I would have jumped on the xanax bandwagon because I was desperate to get relief.. But, I know that I am doing okay without it and continue to work on my mindful meditation daily to control my stress/anxiety and that when my stress/anxiety is more under control my T is also quieter. Stress/anxiety plays a HUGE part in the volume of my T because it makes me react to it more then I normally would. When I can control those 2 things , even if I hear my T it's just an annoyance instead of causing terrible anxiety.

Again, I'm not cured by any means! I just had a mild panic attack last night because of my T but with my techniques I was able to calm myself down enough to go to sleep.. Today's a new day with a new set of struggles but I know we CAN do this! I've read a lot of success stories on this website to know that fact is true. Wishing you a quiet day.

• Like Like x 3
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tesspad

tesspad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is the vibration in my head that bothers me the most I'm not sure if that's vertigo or what ?
      the vibration changes the frequency of the T super hard to explain does anyone know what I mean I had this feeling in my head before noticing the T I thought it was caused by my insomnia or sleeping meds now I don't know what to think
      thank you so much I was told to use my radio for masking but I don't that it would help this vibration feeling.

12. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      @tesspad,

Save your money on buying supplements. Other than maybe magnesium, zinc, B complex vitamins and NAC. Lipoflavonoid, gingko, etc., have not been proven to work in treating T. Check out the "Alternative treatment" forum for additional information.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tesspad

tesspad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Three conditions that can provoke new-onset pulsatile tinnitus by subtly altering blood flow are anemia (one study found that nearly half of tinnitus sufferers had vitamin B12 deficiency),1 hyperthyroidism, and above all, pregnancy. Pulsatile tinnitus is quite a common symptom in pregnancy. It’s unclear whether it’s related to a rise in blood pressure or to otosclerosis which is often discovered or exacerbated during pregnancy. But anecdotally, it’s often suggested that controlling blood pressure may have a beneficial effect on pulsatile tinnitus.

Natalie Roberts

Sounds like this sums it up for us

• Like Like x 1
    14. sorryforusall

sorryforusall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      Can you telk me how much ginko you take and how that helps? I already take the lipo and have changed my diet.

15. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Could be ! I don't think I have pulsatile tinnitus though. I haven't really researched it very much but my t doesn't match or follow my heart beat, I think that's what pulsatile T does? Maybe I'm wrong. Either way I really think it is caused by my pregnancy and the stress/anxiety I've been under recently. Since I'm controlling my stress I feel better overall and have more good days! I hope you're feeling better today!

• Like Like x 1
    16. John G

John G Member

@Natalie Nice. I knew you would start feeling better

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tesspad

tesspad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not even close to feeling better I have this pressure in my head and sometimes feels like a band around my head what should I do if it is pulsatile T cause now it seems more like the vibration comes with my heart beat I'm not feeling good and it's hard to work like this

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tesspad

tesspad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test showed nothing wrong

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tesspad

tesspad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So finally talked to the ENT and he said what I am describing sounds to him like it's all anxiety related ?! And that I should see a psychiatrist so basically I'm crazy not this is crazy FML

20. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I know its tough, but do try to relax, take your mind off it and don't forget that sleep is important.
      You can try some supplements, like vinpocetine, n-acetylcysteine, pycnogenol, and a B vitamin complex. Melatonin and GABA may help you sleep and relax at night.

Let us know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:

It fluctuates a lot. One day loud, 2 days quiet, one day loud, 2 days quiet . Also flucatuates as the day progresses depending on my activity. It's crazy and weird. Its also much louder in the morning and if I happen to take a nap in the evenings. It's pretty annoying right now- loud hissing/white noise that is irritating and causing some anxiety but I figured I was due for a louder day so trying to make the best of it. :/

22. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really feel like a lot of my T is anxiety/stress related. I suffer from OCD and tend to obsess over medical symptoms. So for me, when this T started it's all I could think about. I was also under an incredible amount of stress/anxiety when it flaired up.. When I control my anxiety I feel better overall and the T is generally lower. I don't feel it's only perceived lower but I feel it is actually quieter. I see a psychotherapist 2x a week for private counseling coupled with mindful meditation teachings and a group meditation class . I always feel better after my classes/sessions too as my anxiety is less. I hope you're able to find some sort of relief or outlet. Also, if your anxiety is severe possibly some antidepression medications or antianxiety medications like xanax might be helpful.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Anxiety is the biggest trigger for my T.
      Alchohol, Salt, Sugar, Caffeine does not effect my T, but anxiety shots it through the roof.

Anxiety makes it louder and lower, maybe not in terms of actual volume but how you percieve it.
      Back when I got my T I could hear it over everything in life, shower included. After a year of hard work I learned to live with it, and I could go from seconds->minutes->hours where I simply did not hear it while watching tv, doing something productive, talking to friends etc.

Now I am back in a hard roughpatch and T got increased, my anxiety drives it to the same top level I was at before, It overpoweres everything, nothing can mask it no matter how hard I try to forget it.
      Anxiety needs to be in check in order to get T down.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tesspad

tesspad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I'm not completely convinced it's anxiety to blame seems kinda stupid to me since I've had anxiety forever now anyway hopefully that's all it is these other symptoms of feeling dizziness guess that too could be anxiety but it also could be something serious I hope that I can have it figured out soon.