Thought I Was Getting Better with Acupuncture

Discussion in 'Support' started by hurtingdream, Feb 19, 2016.

1. hurtingdream

hurtingdream Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002. Became worse 11/29/2015.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I've had a spike almost 3 months now and I started getting accupuncture. I've had 2 sessions already and I felt like I was getting better. The last 3 days were the best I had in awhile and then today my T is as loud as ever. Is it suppose to get worse before it gets better?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      I have gotten a few sessions, I feel like each session has been working for me. Not sure tho, it's not like a gym selfie where we can see our progress by comparing it. I hate that, but who knows!? Here's an article I think you might find interesting; falls within the realm of traditional Chinese medicine;
      http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/my-life-was-a-war-against-noise-1.517024
      Ricardo

3. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I have read that before. If only we could actually learn that stuff and make T and H go away

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hurtingdream

hurtingdream Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002. Became worse 11/29/2015.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I believe it did decrease the sound by 10%.

5. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @noisebox I just googled a place here in Denver and have gotten in contact with the instructor. She said it's worth a shot. She seems to have a ton of credentials, not sure if I'm just buying the mumbo jumbo but anything to reduce the hissing noises! Also, do you mind sharing how your tinnitus resolved in the past? (sorry, been doing a bit of lurking this morning haha)

6. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      This is interesting Ricardo. -- While there aren't any classes for this in the Chicago area, I am researching other types of Chinese meditation.

Now that I am realizing that my T may be here to stay, I need to remove the stress I am experiencing.. Thanks again.

7. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @John Meyers Yea, definitely. Who knows? Keep an open mind. I think of all the people in Asia that rely on this sort of treatment/ practice to get rid of common ailments and stuff like tinnitus. I mean, it exists in TCM Practice; there may be something to it.

8. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @John Meyers Ehm, not sure if you'd like to learn a little more about acupuncture, but this is definitely interesting :) If anything, you might even help a different part of your body
      The Science of Acupuncture - BBC Documentary

Ricardo

• Like Like x 1
    9. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Ricardo. -- This is encouraging!

For $20 on Groupon, I just bought 2 sessions with an acupuncturist who was trained in China and their office is only 5 min from me! -- Their sessions are usually $40/each which is palatable (my insurance doesn't cover it).

I will let you know how it goes. -- Even if it only lowers my volume slightly, I look forward to less stress. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Definitely! Well, even if you're not cured it will definitely make you feel refreshed and stuff. I have done a few sessions myself and I'm not cured, but I felt like there was something to it when it was going crazy the first few weeks.
      I'm going to try qigong next week, then maybe reiki, etc.
      If you can find a traditional chinese medicine shop, you should try Er Ming Zui Ci Wan, apparently this is prescribed to people with tinnitus within the TCM realm. I personally have noticed a slight difference, as in I don't notice it everywhere anymore.
      There's a tinnitus clinic here in Denver that takes my health insurance, I'm planning on seeing them soon for TRT or at least counseling. I will definitely have a ton of questions!
      Either way, I've put myself in the mindset that this might be here forever so I might as well embrace what I have and just live my life :)
      Ricardo

11. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I heard about that Denver clinic. -- A lady doctor runs it correct?

I'll check out Er Ming Zui Ci Wan as well.

I hear you (pun intended) about accepting it and moving on. It's not easy but necessary. -- The silver lining for me is getting my life back on track and T has forced me to make some changes health-wise (& spiritually).

12. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ActiveHerb.com pretty much killed my hopes for Er Ming Zui Ci Wan since my T is noise-induced and happened suddenly:
      • 1. Do not use if the tinnitus occurred suddenly.
      • 2. It is only suitable for gradual loss of hearing and/or ring in the ears due to Yin deficiency of the liver and kidney.
      If this has helped anyone with noise-induced T, we would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
      John

13. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd say give it a try, who knows? it might work. Mine was sudden onset and seems to be making a difference. It's not a miracle pill but ever since I started taking it, I don't hear it everywhere. Today I went to the hot springs with my friends and had a great time! I went to the bathroom and couldn't hear the ringing past anything. I used to hear it everywhere before; the ones I bought cost me $6 and didn't notice a difference until maybe the third or fourth day.

The premise of traditional Chinese medicine is that we have an imbalance in our chi that causes different illnesses and stuff like acupuncture, herbal supplements and exercise helps us to regain that balance of chi that has become stagnant in our bodies. I don't think it'll work instantly, but I definitely think it's worth a shot.

I mean, I don't want to be that guy to lead people onto something that may not work for them but I think in our cases, we gotta try different stuff. I would just try it and meditate some. It definitely helps to meditate! I basically lay in my quiet room and sort of try and clear my mind of any thoughts. I know it's counter intuitive, but because of this I no longer fear quiet spaces.

Have you tried headspace? It's an app that you get 10 free sessions. I mean, you'll definitely hear the tinnitus (I do). But it makes me feel more at ease that I have it, the techniques help me sleep at night and it has some great analogies of the mind and animations that are pretty cool.

Also, your T was caused by a concert. I feel like I have seen plenty of posts on here of people recovering from that more often than others within a year or so. Mine might have been caused by a viral infection in my ear that spread from one to the other; same as my mom and brothers so I'm convinced that mine won't go away. Yea, it sucks but hey at least I'm not alone! Also, my friend told me today that her mom was in a bad car accident and had tinnitus for 3 years until one day just poof, it was gone. So keep the faith brother!
      Ricardo

14. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Ricardo. -- I appreciate all the insight.

I will give the Er Ming Zui Ci Wan a try since they are so cheap.

My acupuncture session is Tuesday which is my 6 month anniversary of having T.

I will try more meditation and headspace too. :)

15. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I use mindful meditation as a way of controlling stress and reducing anxiety . I have also found it helps lower the volume of my t if I lower my stress levels. I recently purchased the headspace app also and have used it once. I enjoyed it although usually I meditate on my own. The more you meditate the greater the benefits. I also have seen an Accupuncture dr but only went once because it caused really bad anxiety for me. I just could not relax and felt like it made my tinnitus worse. But that's just me.

• Like Like x 1