Thoughts on ISOLATE Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fangen, Sep 1, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Fangen
      Monday blues

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hi guys!

Came across these plugs, what do you think? Are they worth the money? The thumbnail says £212 but one standard pair is £24.

2. Karel
      Stressed

Karel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I backed it. I'm not sure they'll really do what they promise (always the problem with Kickstarter and the like), but if they do, I want a pair. Just pop one in my bad ear whenever I go to a potentially noisy place and I'll feel much safer. Still no going to fireworks shows or construction sites or anything like that of course (bone conduction says hi), but I don't need that anyway, I just want some good protection against unexpected loud sounds that can happen anywhere.

3. Fangen
      Monday blues

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Would you please tell me what you think of them once you get them? I see that they will start sending out next month and I am sure it'll take a bit longer for people ordering last min. If they work well I'd happily buy a pair or two.

4. Karel
      Stressed

Karel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Oh, yeah, sure. I'll post here once I've received them and got to try them out for a while.

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      nice idea but

1) no DB reduction figures at all !. The graph they show don't display any numbers, or am I missing something ?

2) A hard metal piece inside a thin soft bud - almost guaranteed that it will hurt your ear canal real good after extended use.

3) a heavy protruding side is an issue, whenever you open the jaw, laugh or eat those plugs will move and create a gap where the high frequency damaging sound could penetrate.

That's an issue with my silicone plugs already.

Who cares about fancy colors anyway - give us the honest NRR figures !

6. Fangen
      Monday blues

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I emailed them about the DB reduction and this was their reply:

"Isolates are going through (the very lengthy process) of independent testing at the moment. Here is a link to testing we have done in-house, with a video showing our methodology.

Here are the direct sound attenuation figures for Isolate Pro from this test...

@20Hz -37dB
      @100Hz -45dB
      @1KHz -50dB
      @2KHz -59dB
      @5KHz -80dB
      This test data is an initial rough guide. For employers use as PPE equipment you need to use the official SNR and NRR test data which will be ready and published by the time we make reward deliveries. The official tests are not the same as a direct sound test Davies just did, they are subjective and bone conduction comes into play, which will mean that the dB attenuation numbers will be less with SNR and NRR test data."

Since I haven't used metal body in ear plugs before, it was sort of the reason why I asked for an opinion here about them. They do sound good on the paper and I am willing to try them if they work as promised.

7. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Those claimed attenuation figures are lies, lies, lies!

You won't get that much attenuation even when using double protection, with plugs and ear muffs!

ISOLATE EARPLUGS PEOPLE ARE LIARS

8. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      And damn cheap.

9. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise..no idea.. unicorns?
      lol.. 80db reduction.....More like 8db

10. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      You only need to look at the image to see that the product is snake oil. The metal in the plug is going to transmit audio rather than absorb it.

A more interesting upcoming product Hearables promises to selectively tune out baby screams, engine noise, etc.

With the way machine learning/deep learning is progressing in leaps and bounds I think we're going to see a flurry of active noise cancellation devices bettering our favourite Bose QC-15s within the next few years.