Three Year Anniversary and So Much Better

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lorac, Jul 26, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I suddenly lost all hearing in my left ear exactly three years ago. My deaf ear immediately filled with pain and noise and doctors told me to learn to live with it. For the first year, I could not fathom how living with it could be possible. I just wanted to die instead. I was frightened and angry and depressed. I cried every day.

Today, I do a pretty good job of living with it. I don't know how much of my recovery is due to habituation and how much is due to physical healing. I think it is a combination really. My deaf ear still reacts to all sound in my good ear. I hear and feel a hissing noise with every little sound. In the beginning, this drove me insane! It overwhelmed me and I could not ignore it. Now, it's just a fact of my existence. I guess this is habituation.

Some of my tinnitus noises have diminished somewhat or ceased altogether. I don't think this is because of habituation. I think the noises are actually going away. A constant crackling noise that tortured me constantly for a couple of years is completely gone! I still hear (and feel) clicking, knocking, zapping noises but not constantly now. I do still hear a constant electrical static noise and my deaf ear always feels injured, but the pain is not as extreme as it was during that first year. There are spikes when the pain increases but they don't happen as often or last as long as they used to.

I've been forced to make changes in my lifestyle. I had to give up my hobby, my music. I have to stay away from some really loud venues because loud sound hurts, and I struggle to hear in social situations. I'm not thrilled with the changes but I am no longer depressed. I'm not ready to submit a success story as I still hear and feel the tinnitus every minute of every day. I am ready to submit my "improvement story" though.

• Like Like x 10
      • Hug Hug x 3
    2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Lorac,
      Lovely to read your improvement story and hope your future becomes even brighter because you have come through the worst and a shining example to other members....lots of love glynis

3. Dominic1955
      Depressed

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      @Lorac great to hear your story ! Hope to get there soon!!!

4. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Great story, you fight like a champion. Hope one day you will be able to go back to making music. Keep it up!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for posting this. I like hearing from those with severe tinnitus that actually do get better.

So you had noises that were constant for years that went away? Here I was thinking if it has been constant for 6 months it's permanent.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Alue I think you have reason to hope that it will reduce/change for the better. It COULD. Six months is not long enough to declare permanency. It may be what is spouted again and again in the "literature," but when people talk anecdotally about tinnitus leaving, it is frequently when it had been there for more than 6 months! :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, it's possible. It's just this high pitched electric head buzzing seems more permanent. Not sure how to describe it, but others on hear have experienced similar. The fleeting tinnitus I would get every once in a while went away after my open label injections with AM101, but this head tinnitus (the only one that really bothers me) has stayed the same since onset. I don't want to turn this thread about me, just not coping well at the moment.

8. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Alue Very sorry to hear that. I hope it gets better for you. I really do.

9. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you all for the kind words.
      @Alue
      I had one very annoying noise that was constant but is now completely gone. It was a constant crackling sound that I could also feel and it drove me nuts! I can actually remember wishing for just that one sound to stop! I'm not sure exactly how long it persisted but it was more than six months, probably more like eighteen months or so. Some other sounds are decreasing in frequency. Some might be here to stay but I am improving.

10. OPlax
      Worried

OPlax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/28/98
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born
      @Lorac thank you for sharing. Hopefully I can be as strong as you. I have tensor tympani syndrome which are very annoying and loud spasms inside my middle ear. I feel as hear it and they happen a lot. Sometimes I just wanna cry and die because my severe OCD can't handle it.

Do you have any tips on conquering these permanent changes?

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @OPlax ,
      I don't know if I can offer tips to anyone here because all of our tinnitus situations are so different. I can only post about my own experience and hope that others can relate. I just look at the world and I see the glass as half full in spite of the unwanted changes that have come into my life. I am living in Michigan's fruit belt and it's July. There are beaches and peaches!
      Your OCD makes your experience with tinnitus uniquely challenging and I hope that you are receiving help with the OCD. Please don't feel like crying or dying.

12. OPlax
      Worried

OPlax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/28/98
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born
      @Lorac

Thanks for the kind words. After all of this I am definetly considering a therapist or something for OCD.

I am trying my best with TTS (taking Magnesuim supplements, getting more sleep, etc) and am hopefully praying that Botox in my ear or surgery will relieve it forever. I can only pray and be hopeful!

13. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Ttts is the fluttering thump in your ear?

@OPlax

14. Kah Povi

Kah Povi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics and loud music
      @Lorac
      Thank you so much for your post. I'm having a difficult day and came on this site for some comfort and you gave it to me - enough to keep on keeping on.

15. Dominic1955
      Depressed

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      @Lorac, did feel dizzy for the first 6 to 9 months?
      How long did the hypercusis last? Or do you still have it?
      About the aural fullness? It's driving me crazy!
      Thanks

16. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Dominic1955 ,
      Hello. I'm sorry that you are still struggling.
      I did not have problems with vertigo beyond the first month. I was given a shot to control nausea right away but I continued to feel dizzy for a more few weeks. After one month, a treatment called the Epley Maneuver brought the dizziness under control. I still have the aural fullness always but it doesn't hurt as much as it used to. It is uncomfortable. My deaf ear reacts to all sounds I hear in my hearing ear and the audiologist called this hyperacusis. I feel and hear the feedback. This hasn't changed but I expect it now. It's how I hear the world and it bothers me less as time moves along.