Thump Problem

Discussion in 'Support' started by Moosejacob, Nov 30, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Moosejacob

Moosejacob Member

For about 2 months now I've had a thumping/twitch/fluttering in my right ear that comes and goes but is only brought on by certain things such as yawning, burping and stretching. It will occur if I hear a roar. It doesn't really seem to be caused by anything else. It doesn't spasm as bad anymore(just a slight flutter or a thump) but rarely it can happen for hours on end. Although it did flutter one time while I was laying on a hard surface while my SCM area was being pressed.
      Anyone have any insight on this situation?
      I'm seeing 2 doctors soon so I just want to be better informed. Just want to rule out anything serious.

2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I had it for a year, stretch your neck muscles leading to your ear, it will go away, it's not a something to be worrying about.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Moosejacob

Moosejacob Member

Thanks for the reply. I've been getting really down about this.
      Was yours also triggered by a roaring noise from burps, yawns and stretches?
      I'm just unsure if it's possibly from a neck muscle, pinched nerve in a neck or middle ear myoclonus.

4. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Yeah it was exactly the same thing, It bothered me but it was at the same time as my T onset so I didn't really pay it much attention. I've had muscle twitches before in other parts of the body. I've always just stretched it out and it goes away eventually, same thing here. Although this took a long time. It became less frequent and then finally went all together. Give it a try and be patient, stretch the jaw out as well.

5. Moosejacob

Moosejacob Member

any tips on which stretches to try? It's just unusual it can last hours on end sometimes.

Much thanks

6. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      tilt your head side to side, if you can't get enough stretch, use your hand on the top of your head to pull. You should feel the stretch run up behind the ear and almost right into the ear itself. Use some heat as well, especially before stretching. Do this a few times a day, it will go away.

Mine would last hours as well, and was constant (every day on and off) for almost a year. I still use that stretch all the time, I do it every time I'm in the shower. I haven't had a problem with the thumping ear twitch in probably a year now.

Also I found the stretching exercises iriated things to start, it actually got worse before it got better. Be patient and persistent.

7. Moosejacob

Moosejacob Member

Thanks Telis, Just in case I'm going to see a chiro to see if it can help with my neck because its all out of whack. Ill definently try the neck stretch. This makes alot of sense because it all began from a 3.3 km lake swim 5AM in cold waters. I swam freestyle and only change breaths from my left side.

8. StephAtkings
      Fine

StephAtkings Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am just back from the ENT today regarding the very same problem !! I have had the thumping for years. I would get the odd flutter and very rarely would it last a few hours. But recently for the last 3 months it has been fluttering constantly for hours on end !! I tend to have it for the full day and then it will go away for 2-3 days at the very most. I am the same as you when I yawn, burp or hiccup it sets the thumping off. (It does not happen every burp or yawn though !! ) When I set it off it stays for the full day ! Really annoying ! I The ENT said my ears are fine and my hearing is perfect. I am being sent for a CT scan as they think it could be a blood vessell pulsing. I personally think its a muscle and from what I have read I think its the Tensor Tympani muscle having spasms.
      I am also going to see a chiropractor as I believe I could have a trap nerve and this is causing it.
      Read the below article....there is also a doctor Neil on there that can answer questions regarding the thumping you are experiencing .
      http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/do-i-have-tonic-tensor-tympani-syndrome-ttts/
      Some people also say taking Magnesium supplements help. I have just started those !
      Let me know how you get on !!!
      Its nice to speak to people who have a similar problem :)

9. Moosejacob

Moosejacob Member

Yes our issue sounds quite similar. My scm muscle or muscle on the side with the ear problem is harder. It all occurred after my swim. Definetely going to try stretching neck muscles because it once happened while I was laying on my neck and also another instance when I was looking at my phone neck bent. Otherwise it's only happened when I burp/yawn/stretch. Correct me if I'm wrong but ttts is caused by noise rather than something physical and the noise associated with this problem is a click. Your situation may possibly be a neck issue. Mine rarely lasts the whole day anymore. It usually flutters that moment or just 2 instances. I tried magnesium citrate as well but it's no cure.

10. StephAtkings
      Fine

StephAtkings Member

Tinnitus Since:
      You are correct Tensor Tympani is to do with sound but the doctor Neil said my symptoms match the TTS disorder. He said I should go and see a chiropractor as he thinks I might have a trapped nerve. He was so helpful. I think I am going to take his advice. I am glad to hear that you only get one or two flutters. My ears started that way I would only get one or two flutters but now if it starts it constant until the next morning. Boooo !! I am going to try any advice I receive on this forum :)

11. Moosejacob

Moosejacob Member

An update on my visit to an ENT today. This was the best ENT I've visited out of the 6 I've seen. He gave me a hearing test and I had no hearing loss in either ear. I was very descriptive about my problem so he could have a better understanding of my situation. He looked at both my eardrums and told me to pinch my nose and blow so he can get a better look at my eardrum. My left one was fine but he said my right one was loose and inflated a bit. I could feel this before but none of the other ENT's noticed or saw it as a concern. I asked him if this was normal or if he's seen something like it before. It was not normal but he said he's had a case similar to it before. The guy had problems for 6 months and was turned away because there was no medication. After a year the ENT saw the man again for an unrelated problem and from his records asked about the previous problem. The guy had forgotten when the problem disappeared but it eventually did. His explanation about the loose eardrum was one of the muscles responsible for holding it in place was relaxed and prescribing muscle relaxants wouldn't help. I asked if my neck muscles can be responsible to the issue but he says they have no effect. He also had a hose like thing which I put in my ear and he put the other end in his ear to listen for the thumps but they didn't happen. They did happen before and after I put the hose in which means a hard object prevents it from thumping such as a finger.

Also I visited a chiropractor today. While it did not fix the thumping, it did do wonders for my neck/back. Will visit again next time.

12. Moosejacob

Moosejacob Member

I'm going to update this in case anyone else ever has this problem. My ear thumps haven't happened in over a month. It went away by itself. After 3 months it's gone now. I'm sure I can make it happen on will but it's not as sensitive to trigger now.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Kenf9911

Kenf9911 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm glad I found this page as I'm pretty sure I suffer the same condition as for the last ten years or so off and on, my left ear has had the same thumping noise and it can last for hours or sometimes only just minutes and it can be very frustrating. And similar to what has been said on here for me it was triggered if I burped or a yawned and it would cause the ear to thump for ages.

But I also felt it was also as a result of my diet too because I must confess to eating quite a bit of junk food at times (e.g crisps, chocolate, fizzy non-diet drinks) and I used to take diet drinks and I found they were the worst culprit for triggering the thumping noise off, so I have since cut them out and it helped to greatly reduce the problem. In fact I have had long periods of time where the sensation went away and didn't bother me.

However it has in the last week or so started up again as it appeared to coincide after one night that I had eaten a bag of crisps, a chocolate bar and non-diet coke drink and the following day the thumping noise was back with a vengeance and lasted off and on for hours.

I have been watching my diet and cutting back in junk food in the last week or so since, which has helped somewhat but the ear still does make the thumping noise off and on and I have had my left ear syringed today but it still hasn't resolved the issue itself. So I think I will go back to my GP and see what they advise from there.

But its good to find plenty of other people suffer from this, too as it can be quite difficult to deal with at times so its always good to know your not the only one.

14. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @Kenf9911 are you still having the spasms? Mine started bad then they went away mostly for a few weeks now its back worst than ever!!! I wonder why it comes back i dont drink soda so that cant be it and the time it went away i wasnt taking any supplements or doing anything different. Have you considered surgery?

15. Moosejacob

Moosejacob Member

another update. the thumping still has not occured.

16. Kenf9911

Kenf9911 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Chelles - no I'm hoping I don't need to go that far, I'm being referred to the ENT dept but it takes a couple of months to get an appointment that way. Its still coming and going and its thumping just now but its not as frequent in terms of the sequence of thumps its just one or two at the most but its been going on for hours though which is a pain but it might go away again after a day or so. Just going to wait and see the ENT doctor will say.

17. StephAtkings
      Fine

StephAtkings Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Guys, My thumping has now been away for 6 months. I did read that reducing fizzy juice etc was to help but when I spoke to my ENT he said this would not make a difference. So I went back to my normal lifestyle. I did however start taking Magnesium 250mg a day...if you are from the UK you can get them at Holland and Barrett. After 4 weeks the pulsing slowly went away. keep positive guys. xx