Tinnitus After a Cold While Pregnant!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dina, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Dina

Dina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Hey everyone i really really need some hope. I never had t. Audiology said perfect hearing. Never loud music. Only eustachian tube dysfunction from a sinus infection that brought up T a week a ago. Im also 38 weeks pregnant and the ent said your congested everywhere and thats why...it will fo after delivery and ur sinuses are clear because u have no other cause for it....has this really happened to any of u? Its left ear....and at night is most noticeable...i need hope please

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      • Like Like x 3
    3. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I developed tinnitus around Halloween.. I was also pregnant. The ENT told me tinnitus could be caused by hormones from pregnancy, congestion or which is common in pregnancy.. I also have mild hearing loss in one ear in the very high frequencies but didn't know that before my hearing test. She said if it was related to the pregnancy it should go back to normal after delivery (sometimes taking several months for hormones to stabilize or even several months after your finish breastfeeding).

I was a nervous wreck when I developed it, suffering from anxiety and panic attacks but not willing to take any medication being pregnant. The first 6 weeks or so were very difficult for me but then things started to get better. I've had it now about 4 months i guess and I delivered my baby 3 weeks ago. I can't say if it's getting better or if I'm habituating to tinnitus but I can say that it is not bothering me nearly as much as it was during my pregnancy.

I've learned time is the biggest factor in dealing with tinnitus as I'm told most cases go away on their own before the 6 month mark. I know how scary it is, especially right now for you but I believe your tinnitus will go away especially if it's from fluid/congestion like your ENT suggested or if it is pregnancy related it will probably get better after delivery.

Try to hang in there @Dina . It does get better!

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dina

Dina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Thanks Billie and Natalie for replying I did need to hear hope. The weird thing is I usually hear it at night before I sleep...left ear. I actually wanna tell u how it started....I had a cold. Using saline sprays and stuff I did something stupid. I was lying on my back and sprayed saline hard in my left Norris and I literally felt it go through my left ear (through the dust schism tubes) and clogged up...so I jumped on my leg usually like when seawater gets in nothing came out because obviously it was inside ..... Went to ent and he said dusts human tube has water in it and it will take some time to dry out with sudafed etc etc and since then it's day 10...I'm 38 weeks pregnant and I'm delivering c section in 7 days....but I literally haven't been sleeping for 4 days literally 2 hours a night and the rest is suffering from the sound....high low weird frequency .... I cannot function with my girls with my house with my pregnancy with getting ready to deliver in 7 days ....I'm paused. I'm praying to God and I'm sure he will answer my prayers as he does every single time that this goes any minute now....I'm crying praying 24/7....also dizzy cuz no sleep...I don't be giving any bad vibes but it's just a really debilitating feeling....... I'm just saying is this pregnancy plus congestion plus water retention plus dusts hisn tubes.....or is this it. And the waiting wether it'll go or not.....I want to be a healthy happy mom for my girls.....and also I learned so many lessons in these ten days....to count my blessings to thank god for all what I have and to stop complaining too much because at this very moment i would trade everything I own for it to go

5. Kgro719

Kgro719 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hang in there @Dina ! I got T after congestion/allergies/cold at 24 weeks pregnant, never had T before this. It is a loud high-pitched ringing mainly in right ear that is there 24/7. Trust me I know how you are feeling. But this is all pregnancy related. Our bodies are working so hard for our child! Give yourself some grace and know that it will go away in time after you deliver your little one. Don't worry too much!! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dina

Dina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      hi kgro :) so your still pregnant or this was a while back? I have thag high pitched tinitus as well in my left ear and fluctuates around my head as well. U think when i deliver itll go :((( im praying to God it will so badly and i know he wont let me down. I just wanted to ask did it go away for u... Are u still pregnant?

7. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Are you still pregnant or have you delivered and how is your tinnitus now?

Are you

8. Kgro719

Kgro719 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Dina and @Natalie Roberts I delivered my son on 1/16/16. He is perfect! :) I still have tinnitus but I was told by my doctor to give it time and it will go away once my hormones go back to normal. Make sure you keep eating healthy and taking vitamins. I know it's tough, but you just have to give it time.

9. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Awe! I delivered my daughter on 1/19/16 My dr didn't have any idea about tinnitus during pregnancy but my ent said it could very well be hormone related and would take time to get better. She said it could be several months after delivery or even several months after you stop breastfeeding so it could be quite awhile. Congratulations on your baby!

10. Kgro719

Kgro719 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      That's the same thing I was told also! So let's keep in touch and see what happens! Congrats to you as well :)

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dina

Dina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Hey ladies :) so inwas wondering the onset of urs was just sudden? One ear? Two--- mine came
      After a cold and sinus infection and only in my left....its days 13 now...im delivering c section in 4 days! So hows urs going? Subsided? Gone....?

You know with all the doctors saying different things different medication etc. my ultimate hope is God with all his power and wisdom will take it all away. The faith i have in him is stronger than faith in medicine or doctors (which i do go to docs and take meds) but the cure isnt from them....it will be feom Him. With real praying and asking him with faith im sure it will go away....ill pray for u and u pray for me....and ill let u know how things work out....may god bless u both and make it easier on u both and bless u and ur babies...

12. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am following you! Keep me updated on your progress.. There is another lady who developed tinnitus during pregnancy (lovestoteach) although she still has it, there seem to be quite a few of us on this thread, so it's not unheard of!

@LovesToTeach did you see this thread?

13. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Mine just showed up one day. I was watching tv and noticed a sound. So I kind of got nervous about it but assumed it would go away as my experiences with fleeting t always went away. It went away that night but came back a few days later in my right ear. It does sound like it comes from the center of my head sometimes. Mine is reactive to noises (television, water running, car stereo , road noise) and will worsen or compete with certian sounds so I prefer silence. Mine cycles with one or two loud days followed by one or two quieter days and even days where the tinnitus seems gone but always returns.. My reaction to my tinnitus has changed. Instead of having anxiety and focusing on it all the time like I did originally I have been ignoring it and I guess I've sort of habituated to it because I feel so much better about tinnitus. I also do mindful meditation which helps the anxiety as well as talk to others outside this forum for support.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Zaid

Zaid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown until now
      دينا، ماتخافي الصوت رح يخف ومرح يزعجك زي هلا مخك بس مش متعود على الرنين ! It always gets better ! Hold on dear

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dina

Dina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Its days 16 -- delivering on the 18th. My sinuses are congested my ears my whole head is actually. Praying this passes soon. Praying it goes away for all of us....its so difficult living this way. I feel im half here. Im not usually like this at all---i dunno will my tolerance level become better after delivery or while it go....i also having popping and clicking when i swallow from eustachian tubes which also is making noises....ive always had sinus issues but i huess its allll flared because of the pregnancy. I wish i can close my eyes open it up and have this all gone. I will truly appreciate life much more.....in thinking day 16 in this and i honestly feel its taking over .... The only reason im able to continue is my faith in God that he will not give me what i cannot handle and that he is the ultimate curer......im happy were all talking making me feel supported and better. I hope all is well with all of u. Thanks zaid for the message....hope all goes well

16. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

LovesToTeach Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      Hi @Dina , I too have t from getting a cold during pregnancy, at around 30 weeks along. My daughter will be one on 2/27, so obviously mine never left, but I am also still breastfeeding so I still hold out some hope that it will at least one day improve. I remember being so sick with worry and anxiety when this first began. I was also told that my cold and sinuses/eustachian tubes were to blame, but the cold went away, my tubes and sinuses cleared, I had the baby, and the t is still here! I promise that no matter what ends up happening, you will feel better. I know that it doesn't seem like that now, and that you probably can't even imagine living with the noise, but eventually you will start to feel better. Tinnitus is a complication of pregnancy I never anticipated, but obviously it happens to many women. If the anxiety becomes too much to bear, make sure you ask your doctor about medicine that can help and is safe during pregnancy/breastfeeding. You could also reach out to a counselor or therapist. Please know that it won't always feel this bad!

Since your cold sounds so awful I would bet that the tinnitus goes once your cold improves. We are all thinking of you - and congratulations! It's amazing what we put ourselves through for our children!

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Kgro719

Kgro719 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I wonder if it could be retaining fluid? Or maybe a thyroid dysfunction from fluctuating hormones? Mine is in both ears and at times feels and sounds so loud and electric :( praying for all of you!

18. jb96734
      Cheeky

jb96734 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Dina and ladies! I'm so glad to have found this thread. Thanks to @billie48!

Reading this particular post reminds me of my situation! I too have suffered from sinus and allergies for awhile. My ears would clog and my ENT told me I had eustshian tube dysfunction and all I had to do was use saline spray and pop my ears or take sudafed when needed. This of course was before I got preganant. I only use saline spary and pop my ears when needed - this always helps. I did develop a cold once the weather started to chance last sept/oct and that's when my T started (I was about 6 weeks pregnant). I'm glad your T didn't start until your last trimester and I hope and pray it goes away. I did lose my baby end of October and after experiencing a natural miscarriage mid November 2015, it seemed like my T was getting slightly softer. I got pregnant again early January of this year and currently at 8 weeks. I'm hoping and praying that it'll go away soon after I give birth in September. I don't think I gave my body enough time to stabilize my hormones and my T game back louder this past 2 weeks! I have a while to go but with the strength of God and the motivation of my family, I'm hanging in there and trying to stay calm.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new bundle of joy!

• Winner Winner x 1
    19. Kgro719

Kgro719 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @LovesToTeach did you have clicking/popping in your ears when you swallow? I developed this after a bad cold in December 2015 and still has not gone away. I've tried Flonase for 6 weeks and Mucinex but both have not helped at all.

20. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      @Kgro719 yes, lots of popping and clicking, even to this day. I had a pretty thorough ENT exam with a scope and everything - all was normal. No negative pressure on the drum, nothing found in 3 MRIs. I have no answers. But 2 months of Flonase did nothing, sinus rinse, etc. No change from anything.

21. Kgro719

Kgro719 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am thinking ETD? What about ear wax? Just trying to think of all possibilities. Could it be Ménière's disease?

22. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      @Kgro719 ETD has been ruled out. Same with Menière's. No wax. It's just a mystery, lol!

23. Kgro719

Kgro719 Member

Tinnitus Since:
    24. Soul Reaver
      Depressed

Soul Reaver Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold wind
      Internet agrees on the 2-3 to 6 month period "for the “gunk” to drain out via your Eustachian tubes" so there's a chance it'll go away
      "
      When you get a cold and it gets into your middle ears, it causes a conductive hearing loss. Typically it can take 2 or 3 months or more for the “gunk” to drain out via your Eustachian tubes–and hearing returns to normal and any associated tinnitus fades away.
      "

source (this is not the only source btw, i've read it in every corner of the interwebz):
      http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/will-my-tinnitus-ever-go-away/

25. Kgro719

Kgro719 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ladies!!!!!!! Just wanted to report my tinnitus is completely gone after taking prednisone for two weeks!! Praise the lord! How are y'all doing???

26. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      I have preexisting tinnitus. It got incredibly worse after I hit my 30 week mark of pregnancy. Laying in bed next to a sound machine. Feel pretty hopeless. Afraid I won't be able to care for my own child.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dina

Dina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      I need help :( ive been suffering since giving birth--terrible migraines, tinnitis and ETD. Im not able to function or sleeo ... How am i going to live this way--even antidepressants or antianxiety pills arent makingnit better i neemd some hope

28. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      hello,
      You had T since September 2015? and prednisone made it go away? How did you get the doctors to prescribe that for you.

29. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      I didn't but now I sure want to after reading your experience! Wow!!!! Luckiest lady I've met!