Tinnitus After a Flight

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dazed&Confused, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Dazed&Confused

Dazed&Confused Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      So I flew for work back on November 10th for three days. I had a weird feeling in my ears for two weeks before I took off. This really started on Oct 24th. I had some weird dizziness and felt a bit strange. I had a connection as well between my final destination. On both descents I felt strange pressure in my ears and they really hurt. Mind you I had a feeling in my ears before I flew. I actually bought earplane ear plugs and gum just in case. After I got off the plane I literally felt like a zombie. Something was really off with me. I also noticed a weird ringing in my ears. Next thing you know I was hit with a bad case of viral labrynthitis and these last two months have been hell. I felt the worst on my 33rd birthday in November. I felt dizzy my ears were ringing they were sensitive to noise. I've seen two GPs and two ENTs and MRI shows I have ethmoid sinitus. Not sure if that may have caused my ear issues. My question is has ANYONE gotten tinnitus from flying? I have never heard of it happening and if it did people said it went away after a month or two after a flight (usually caused by mucus in ear). I always thought it was 99% caused by noise. I cannot even go to semi loud places now without fear of noise making my ears ring like crazy. What is going on with me!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I have got tinnitus from airplane barotrauma. Never went away.

3. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      @Nucleo not sure if that helps ..

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dazed&Confused

Dazed&Confused Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      My ears were actually sore for a few days after the flight. First doctor I went to said I had effusion of the ears as well. I had no idea you can damage your ears like this from flying. Now I cannot go to loud places without it going nuts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In general flying isn't dangerous to the ears (aside from normal acoustic problems on loud flights), but one exception to this is if you have any kind of sinus/ear infection preventing the eustachian tubes from functioning properly. The pain you experienced is a sign that pressure wasn't able to equalize properly.

I have read far, far more stories of people having temporary problems, than permanent, after flights -- if this were not the case, then this would be more well known. It's not a good idea to fly with any kind of upper respiratory infection, though.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dazed&Confused

Dazed&Confused Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      What is temporary though? I'm coming on two months at this point. Also not sure if the viral labrythitus is affecting me in any way shape or form. For those of you who don't know what it is than see link. Also I always thought that once you got tinnitus and IF it ever went away you are in danger of it coming back with even the slightest agitation?

http://www.webmd.boots.com/a-to-z-guides/labyrinthitis

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dazed&Confused

Dazed&Confused Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      So I just got my CT results back and Dr states that I have ethmoid sinitus. Which he said is probably what is causing my tinnitus from the flight. He also said my sensitivity to sound can be caused by anxiety. I have been given another antibiotic to treat the infection and according to him this should resolve ALL my symptoms. He also states that he has had a 75% success rate at resolving these symptoms. Why do I feel like I have never heard of anyone suffering from tinnitus caused by sinus issues? Also I have never heard of anyone getting treatment that removed tinnitus. Maybe you guys have heard more stories than I have, thanks!

8. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      You're a lucky dude.

It's a popular myth that there is no cure for tinnitus. It all depends on what the cause is. There would for instance, nothing to do if your tinnitus was noice-induced, you just gotta wait it out. But in your case, tinnitus was not the problem in the first place, it was a symptom, so basically once you fix the problem, your tinnitus will resolve with it.

keep us updated when youre tinnitus-free.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dazed&Confused

Dazed&Confused Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      I just realized the doctor put me on ciprofloxacin. I hear this is a dangerous antibodic and actually causes tinnitus. Has anyone had any experience with this medication?

10. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Sounds like it could be menieres (hopefully not) .Docs can be idiots! Anxiety? really? so your dizzy, have vertigo spells, tinnitus, but the sensitivity to sound is anxiety. ..more likely hyperacusis :banghead:
      Ask for something else!

11. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Sensitivity to sounds are linked to anxiety.
      Was for me when I got T 2012, all sounds were distorted, normal speech even hurt. It did not start right away when I got T, but several weeks later when my anxiety was at a peak and I fell into a depression.
      It got better when anxiety/depression started to get better.

Same now I am in a depression and its back in the exact same way.

Sure you can call it hyperacusis because that is sensitivity to sounds, but still linked to anxiety in many cases because the auditory system cannot handle everything as its supposed to.

12. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      With regards to the sinusitis, then your tinnitus could well resolve after treatment.

I've had both ciprofloxacin and levofloxacin without any problems at all.

Fungus.

13. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Interesting theory......however that does not explain many H cases where H develops without the involvement of anxiety & depression....or when H fails to leave when anxiety and depression are treated. Lucky you though, at least you know how to treat it :)

I realize people in a highly anxious state have an increase in senses /sounds louder/lights brighter as I've personally experienced that before....but that is not true hyperacusis...anyways hope OP gets better :)

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dazed&Confused

Dazed&Confused Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      I'm only lucky if it goes away. I think I have ETD since my ears feel like crap and they also feel like they are clogged.

I know we all have to stay positive since we are in the same boat. I appreciate everyone's input and well wishes too. I think the intense vertigo really got me though coupled with everything. Really put things in perspective!

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dazed&Confused

Dazed&Confused Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      It's not going away....:( I guess once you have it you have it for good...

16. kristenp

kristenp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2015 (stopped spring 2016, returned)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So, my tinnitus appeared in Dec 2015 and disappeared sometime during this summer. It since returned following a flight a few days ago and hasn't stopped. First question: why? Second question: will it go away again?

17. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Hi Kristen

How loud was it when it appeared in Dec, did it go down gradually?

18. DCsurvivor

DCsurvivor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold + airplane
      @kristenp Did your tinnitus go away again?