Tinnitus After A Loud Indoors Rock Concert

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by liquefact, Nov 1, 2015.

1. liquefact
      Balanced

liquefact Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      I've been to a rock concert (Marty Friedman, well known guitarist) on Sept 25 2015. Expecting to be a moderately high volume one. And as i had been to his concert before i had no worries about anything. I had no idea about the support bands though. Unfortunately the second one was a death metal group and the music was too loud. Still i kept listening though (what i moronic decision). While i was heading out, i saw that ear plugs were sold inside the bar. :(

After the concert i headed back home with a ringing in my both ears. Hoping to fade away after hours of sleep, as it always had. The next (T0+1) day it was there. Through the evening, i slowly got concerned and started looking for possible causes and what to do about it. This was the time i really got afraid (no cure). Through the night i was so freaked out that i had a panic attack i never had in my life. After crying, shaking and stuff, my wife calmed me down and i was able to sleep with a masker white noise.

In the morning (T0+2) i noticed that it was not as bad as it was last night. I could still hear the ringing but as i saw the improvement my mood was OK. After a couple days later, it was at a point where i could safely say that it was gone.

Unfortunately, came back at 16th of Oct (T0+21), when i woke up (Relapse#1). But only in my right ear and the tone was different than before. Most probably the frequency was a little bit lower than the first time. My wife told me that i had a nightmare at night. This is the only connection bw the T's relapse and my body that i could see. After waiting for 2 days, I got a appointment for an Audiogram (26th, Monday) and for the ENT doctor (27th) the next week. Had a very good weekend with no noticeable ringing and went to audio test without any worry. The technician found no issues with my hearing, which i was not expecting anything as well.

The next day 27th (T0+32) i woke up with another type of ringing (Relapse#2). At first i though that it was a hissing sound coming from an electrical device but soon realized that was T again. Went to doctor, he told me that there was nothing he could do (which does not surprise any member of this community i guess :)) and he believed that it'd go away as there's no hearing loss. If it does not in one year he suggested me to come back.

It slowly faded during the week. On Thursday morning it was OK during my drive to work but i stayed late at work, had little time to eat anything. After reaching home the kids were crying so much, i was stressed as a result and the ringing came back clearly louder.

On Friday, night i accepted the fact that there would be no easy resolution to T and i need to try and work hard. Talked with my wife about i needed help from her and she had to stay beside me until i take this nuisance under acceptable levels. I decided trying to sleep without masker and i did after trying to concentrate to other things after 15 mins. Woke up early in the morning (6:30 AM) due to my baby crying but felt asleep in 10 min again. This is was an awesome indicator that i could ignore the ringing, at least for some circumstances.

Today (Sat, 31th Oct)started not so good. Could not have a proper breakfast. I had a poor appetite because of the higher level of ringing compared to yesterday and had to use white noise for 5 hours. Now at 6:30 PM i took them out and trying to endure the ringing, not much noticeable if i do not concentrate much.

This is my story, not so short, sorry to bother you all. As it relapsed 2 times in one month, i lost my hope that it'd go away naturally. I guess i need to learn to live with it, adapt to it so that it'd be manageable. I'm so afraid to devastate my life and my family with the side affects like being angry, sleepless, short tempered, not happy etc. I'll do anything to prevent these.

I hope everyone having T finds some sort of relief soon, preferably through a cure.

Thanks!

Umut

PS: Thinking about turning this thread into a journal so that
      1. I'll not forget what i'm experiencing.
      2. it may be a light on what to expect when T first enters into a life. Not saying it'll be the same for every people but at least one more data point.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      One question for the sufferers,

It's ~5 weeks since my onset. Does it make sense to get stereoids right now? Or is it too late? If there is no harm using them, i'll beg to my ENT doctor for it.

Thanks!

3. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      It's in 99% certainty too late now. But a week's course of steroids won't harm you, so go and ask.

Sold... they should have been offered at the door before the concert! Included in the price of the ticket...

• Like Like x 1
    4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Too late. And without associated hearing loss, prognosis from steroids is deemed to be lower than with hearing loss (although you probably did have an initial temporary threshold shift early on). The window of opportunity with steroids is about 48 hours, and, even within that window of opportunity, you will find a sharp decline in efficacy - see this study which evaluates recovery of hearing loss (not tinnitus) with three different patient profiles:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18463885

Given your location and onset of tinnitus, you could consider enrollment with the AM-101 clinical trial sponsored by Auris Medical (www.tinnitus-study.info).

I also suggest never attending another concert (for the rest of your life). Seems like a no-brainer, but, there a number of folks on a board such as this who like to push their luck.

5. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Liquefact,your tinnitus could still go away for good without any 'treatment'.I hope this is the case. Noise-induced tinnitus doesn't always disappear in a few days.
      As far as I know,the mode of action of steroids isn't that clear (?anti-inflammatory), and steroids aren't the universal panacea for all of us. If you have e.g diabetes, then your blood sugars will almost certainly go up, and though a short course of steroids is generally safe, some of us have been told to avoid them at all costs. I have a difficult form of glaucoma and have to avoid even steroid drops. I used to have to carry an Epipen for wasp sting allergy and recently had to have I/V steroids for anaphylaxis to an anti-depressant I was given, but I have to avoid steroids under all other circumstances.
      With regards to never going to a rock concert again....well, I would, but with very good quality ear plugs. Though there is some evidence that hearing can be damaged by mechanisms other than just sound through the external ear, I don't feel that tinnitus will stop me from doing things I love (otherwise I would feel as though I was letting it get the better of me).
      I DO hope your tinnitus disappears without any need to look at treatments for the chronic condition.

Fungus.

6. James Brown
      Sporty

James Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-1998 2013(worst)2018 (T+H)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposition-noise trauma-siren
      I have the same advice you received last post. From now on avoid all the loud noises. Each case of T it's different, so if it stays you will have to cope, adjust and live a normal life. T it's a pain in the ass, but if the noise it's not too loud it's just like wearing glasses after some time. It's there but you forget it . Good luck and try that T don't change your mood.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Ricardo AM
      No Mood

Ricardo AM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 / Hyperacusis since 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic trauma
      Hello,
      In addition on all these very true opinions, i would strongly recommend also that you give a good rest on your inner cells during next weeks as they was a kind of hurt during the concert and need to be protected during their own recovery (yes...our boby can do a natural partial recovery if we give it a chance...just keep away from surrounding strong noises....

So, another concert in a short time i believe it would be a huge mistake!
      (be sure that i sadly know what i am talking about...)

Another way to help the natural recovery could be a few sessions in a hyperbaric chamber (but can only be effective if done sooner as possible).

Its up to you what to do now. Hope i was helpeful and good luck!
      Cheers,
      Ricardo

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      I've applied for AM-101, now shall wait for a response. Is it free or not i could not understand though.

I have absolutely no interest for attending another concert, at least for a long time.

Thanks!

I cannot feel this at the moment but your eye-glass analogue seems to be true. I hope i'll reach to that point. For two days, i'm managing to get to sleep without using any maskers. Actually it now distracts me more during the day, rather than night. Don't know why.

Thanks.

Yes, no concerts for a loong time, maybe even never again. I hope this thought shall be washed away in time because right now i do not feel like listening to music.

How can i initiate this kind of hyperbaric chamber treatment? Do i go to ENT and request one?

Thanks!

Thanks for your wishes. In fact i do not hope for T to disappear, at least permanently. But i'll try to make it bearable so that me and my family can go on.

Thanks!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Journal Update:
      For two nights in a row i've managed to sleep without any maskers. It seems like i've been disturbed from T more during daytime. Also for two days, i feel fullness in my ears. I've been developing a mucus in my throat and when i try to take this out, i feel like to throw up. Not sure related to T, i don't have any sickness right now.

Another development is, the T is more on my left ear right now. Yesterday i was masking my both ears at home and was distressed. So i decided to go out to do some jogging under rain and wind, with the hope that i'd not hear T. It was not the case unfortunately, with maskers left and right, it was there.

Today, with the masker in my left ear, i'm better. I can still hear it but bearable.

This is the second relapse going on for 5 days almost. The earlier times, it had almost disappeared after 3-4 days.
      I do not think this'll ever go away, at least for a while, any more.

10. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Clinical trials are generally free of charge. This one certainly is. In addition, certain reimbursements may apply.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Ricardo AM
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic trauma
      Hi again,
      About Hyperbaric chamber (HBOT) its better you research more in this forum on the appropriate threads. There you can find more information.
      I never tried because the first time a ENT told me about it was too late for any results but here in Portugal some ENTs agree others not...My advise is talk with your ENT to have a formed opinion - by an expert.

I only put this on consideration because its well known that oxigene in inner cells are vital for recovering (in a limit time after an acustic trauma)

By the Way:
      Your audiogram was only until 8Khz, right?
      In my opinion and many others members a complete exame should be done at least until 16Khz....i bet you have some earing lost in high frequences (your T is a sign of it...)

When a ENT says your earings are OK (based on a short test - until 8Khz) even know you complain with T...i think it is not an accurate diagnosis (unfortunately to many with this stance - at least in my country)

It is not supposed to alarm you but at least warn about the risk of inducing more high sounds....and a higher level of T.

Dont forget your trauma is still recent....if you act on time there is more possibilities for better / if you do not act....well
      (if my trauma was 5 weeks ago i definitively act!)

All the best!
      Ricardo

12. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      Very similar story to mine, indoor gig was just to loud. If possible stay away from any loud noise for awhile, can't say for how long but I am able to be in moderately noisy environments again now, so just see how it goes. I wish I had as 2 weeks after I got it while it was back to basically non existent I went to a party and it hasn't gone back that low since.

Best

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Yes the highest freq is 8Khz. I'll look for a 16Khz test.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Actually at home i tried the online AudioNotch frequency tester. I could hear everything fine until ~15Khz. Is this conclusive? Because i was expecting a gap somewhere about 12 - 14 Khz.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      What is the difference bw a soft chamber and hard chamber?

Also i'm rejected for AM-101 trials. This is the response: "Unfortunately, last week was the close-out of this study here at OHSU."

Do you think that i should try other centers?

Umut

16. Ricardo AM
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic trauma
      Hi again,
      Well if you listen OK at high frequences its not so bad (although a test done in a proper place is always better...)

Just dont push your luck much and protect yourself from noise exposure!
      All the best!
      Ricardo

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      I applied to another location for AM101 and probably they'll accept me. Do you think it's worth to go after this opportunity?

18. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      I got T from a loud concert 2 weeks before you did and was almost accepted for AM-101 soon thereafter.

I decided to pass for the following reasons:
      1. My travel time was a 5 hours drive (so I would need to stay in a hotel which they would pay for)
      2. There was a chance that I would get the placebo and have to start all over again (and be outside of the 3 month window)
      3. The U.K. study showed that many who don't get the placebo recover within 12 months, however, studies also show that 80 to 90% of one-time occurrence sufferers recover in 6 to 12 months. Therefore, I think their results are skewed.
      4. The idea of a needle in my ear drum and my T spiking for a short time after the procedure is horrifying to me (especially if it is the placebo).

Seems like the best remedy is eating healthy, moderate exercise, staying busy, trying not to think about it, and most importantly, passage of TIME.

Hope that helps! Hang in there! :)

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Hi John,

Can you point me these studies about recovery/remedy rates?

I'm planning to fly over to Santa Monica, i'm in Seattle. I applied for Portland, which is way closer to me but rejected by one week. So it'll be even harder for me. Especially thinking that i'll be alone the whole procedure (my wife is a life saver during my desperate times) and the intensity shall be higher for 2-3 weeks after the injection and you're not allowed to use ANY medication. And to the top of that there's a good chance you may be given a placebo. The problem is, this is a one only chance before the T becomes untreatable in the ear. I looked at the previous studies, TACCT2 and there seems to be no permanent side affects. All i need to have is some more courage to bear the first month without any help.

So not sure, though i understand your decision. I may end up the same.

Patience and strength for us all.

Umut

20. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      I just Googled "Am-101" test results and looked at a variety of things that popped up.

Good luck and stay strong!

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Journal Update:

On Wednesday i felt pretty much OK during the day. My mood was not the spiky,

On Thursday, in the morning i was down because of T. I had a cough and my noses were full. After clearing them in the morning, i felt a decrease in my T for a brief moment.
      Went to work, still was down. Yet i forced myself to eat my lunch, went out and did it. After that i had the first of betaserc tablet. This was the first medication i had even though i knew it was ineffective. After one hour so, there was a dramatic improvement in T loudness (probably as i still do not tell the difference well between the loudness and how it's perceived by me ). My mood was awesome. I did not relate this to the pill though. Time passed, went home, T increased a little bit but did not mind. Watched a comic movie and slept without any problems. I am not using any maskers as i realized that the more the volume of masker the louder my T. Is this called reactive T by the way?

Sent the document for AM101 trial. I have some expectations about that. I hope, it's not false optimism. And i'm scared to hell too.

Contacted some people in Seattle for participating to a support group. I'll be in this meeting on Sunday. Hope talking with other sufferers help.

I also had an appointment from another hearing institute which are more specialized around T.

On Friday, morning it was OK'ish. had a good breakfast and betaserc. Went to work, was still fine. Went out for lunch to a crowded place and st there for ~1 hour. Unfortunately at the end of lunch, my T was much worse. At about 4PM, still bad. I guess i need to be very careful about the ambient noisyness of the placess i go. Again reactive T? Probably.
      Feel like shit right now.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Journal Update:

On last Saturday, i was not feeling that good but forced myself out to have some fresh air with my family. Did that and my mood was much better afterwards. Also at my doorstep i found my Phospatidyl Choline and 5-HTP i ordered and started using them immediately along with Betaserc. The night was even better.

Next day good, Monday, Tuesday good as well. Even i remember not noticing my T for half a day on Wednesday.

Thursday, had a little spike but was still bearable.

Friday, it was as good as it was on Thursday. All these days, i could sleep without any problems. Still not using any maskers at all, as i believe they're increasing my T. Stopped Betaserc as i do not believe in that drug.

Saturday, maybe the best day since 3 weeks in terms of T loudness, but at night it increased and i had serious difficulty while sleeping. I could only sleep at around 3AM. I want to attribute this to the one whole slice of cheesecake/coffee i had before sleep.

Sunday, was not my best during the day but was manageable in general. But because of the Saturday night's bad experience, i had some distress. I went to bed and started thinking about my T and my anxiety skyrocketed, almost having a panic attack. Turned on the lights, started reading some success stories and some personal experiences on how not to give mush attention to T. Like counting the clock ticks, treating the T as the sound of a refrigerator close by, etc. It distracted me in ~5 minutes and i calmed down. After that i gave another try to sleep and it worked.

I'll learn to push this sound down in the important stimuli stack in my brain, every day a little bit more. When some promising treatment arrives in ~5 years, i'll once again experience the beauty of silence. Until then, i won't let it ruin my life, because it's not important.

So i cannot say Phospatidyl Choline and 5-HTP works for sure but having immediate relief after started having these may not be a coincidence. All i can say is after 1 week of usage, i feel better than before.

I'll continue reporting.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Journal Update:

This week was a lot better than the previous one. In general i was much less concerned about T even though the T was not that different than before. Still having Phospatidyl Choline and 5-HTP and vitamin pills.

It's either i'm habituating to it as i'm not masking the T and giving my brain much higher chance to tune it out or i'm having quieter T over time. Or both. IDK.

I had really quiet moments or 1-2 hours this week. It's not like i did not hear the T, it's always audible, but 2 times i tried ~2-3 seconds to hear it.

One other thing to note is, on Saturday evening i had a terrible terrible headache came up all of a sudden. The T was low prior to it but as the headache become severe over time, the T loudness rocketed as well. But the pain was suppressing my ability to perceive it. Very hard to explain. As i know that aspirin is known to increase T, i was left with Ibuprofen and it's not too much safe as well and hesitated to take any medication. I could not sleep until 2 AM because of the pain and in the end the headache became so unbearable that i took one Ibuprofen pill. I do not remember how i slept, probably it was quick. In the morning the pain was gone, the T was low.

My moral is, inducing artificial pain to body can help T :)

In the end i could send the doctor's report to AM101 trial site, after 2 weeks of delay. They'll be deciding whether i'm a good candidate for the trials or not. I hope i am.