Tinnitus After Cold

Discussion in 'Support' started by FilipT, Feb 22, 2017.

1. FilipT

FilipT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      Hi all. My tinnitus started Wednesday/Thursday last week after a cold. It is really high-pitched, I would say around 15 kHz. So far, I've visited a otolaryngologist yesterday, I've had tympanometry done which came out supposedly OK.

The doc just prescribed some antihistamines and told me to wait for it to clear up. Is there anything else I can do? I am considering a visit to a neurologist and perhaps getting a CT or an MRI. I am really panicking, because the tinnitus is just so unpleasant.

I am finding it very difficult to concentrate on anything else besides the ringing. I feel as though it was better a couple of days ago which is why I didn't really seek any medical help until Monday.

Does this type of tinnitus typically go away after a few days?

Thanks,
      Filip.

2. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss of Unknown Origin
      I would say that it is quite possible that yours will go away but it's also possible that it will not. A lot of viral infections can cause tinnitus. Viral infections often take ages to go away but sometimes some symptoms, such as the tinnitus, remain.

I personally would give it time before doing a CT or MRI, but that's me.

3. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss of Unknown Origin
      PS I also have high frequency, around 14kHz. I think I'd rather have higher than lower though.

4. KeyLime
      No Mood

KeyLime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Yes, it can go away, but it might not. It will probably get easier to ignore though.

By any chance are you in the Midwest in the US? I've had low pitched tinnitus after a cold for nearly 2 months now. I've been to an ENT, had a bunch of tests, and I was told my symptoms "sound like" endolymphatic hydrops. I was completely freaking out. Then, I talked to a few of the other parents in my son's preschool class, and one of them asked me, "Oh, do you have that inner ear virus that's going around?". Apparently she had it too and her primary dr told her it can take "weeks to months to get over" and that they were having a hard time staying on top of all the calls about it this winter. That made me feel a lot better. Supposedly this has been a bad winter for ear trouble.

For right now, I'd just focus on taking care of yourself to help your body fight off whatever this is.