Tinnitus After Ear Irrigation?

Discussion in 'Support' started by carlos28, Oct 15, 2018.

1. carlos28

carlos28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Went in to have my ear irrigated yesterday because it felt full and the doctor said I had a lot of ear wax in there and that it might be the most probable cause, so they applied a solution to soften my ear wax and then they were irrigating it for a while because a piece wouldn't come out but eventually it did.

I had been applying ear softening drops for a week prior though since my ear had felt full for a week.

But yeah after that irrigation I keep hearing a low humming sound (like a fridge running) in my ear since then. It's been over 17 hours now and I'm still hearing this noise. Panicking now.

Is this normal? I'd hate to try to habituate to this because it's not like any phantom noise, it feel like it's coming directly from my ear drum and vibrating.

Please help. Any advice and help is welcome.

2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      You say it's not a phantom noise, but coming from your eardrum. This makes me think it may not be typical tinnitus, but just damage to the ear drum, which can heal. I am not a doctor so I suggest you go see an ENT about this.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Before having ear irrigation or microsuction, ear drops should be applied 3 times a day to each ear for 10 days to completely soften the wax. If this is not done problems can result. One of those is experiencing tinnitus.

Michael

4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would suggest avoiding microsuction and irrigation in the future. Stick to manual ear wax removal by an ENT.

5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Eardrum vibrations aren't tinnitus. That should go away. A lot of people here take magnesium and NAC supplements here, maybe take these to prevent tinnitus from developing? Try not to stress too much as that can cause tinnitus too...
      Let us know if anything changes.

6. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Since Caloric Test is also ear irrigation would you advise people to refrain from doing this test.

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I disagree with your advice although you are entitled to your opinion. Whether one has ear irrigation, microsuction or manual removal by curette. They all carry risks the same as any medical procedure. There is no evidence that manual removal of earwax is less dangerous than the other two recommend methods.

My consultant is an Audilovestibular Physician. I asked her which is the best method of earwax removal and I was told microsuction. She has removed earwax from my ears twice using this method and a Registrar removed it once with microsuction. All three times I had no problems and applied eardrops 3 times a day to each ear for 10 days prior to having the wax removed.

I have had ear irrigation three times using eardrops the same and had no problems. People are often not told to apply eardrops 3 times a day for 10 days prior to earwax removal and this is can cause problems.

Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting so it may be a issue with the patient not softening ear wax properly.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I believe it is not carrying out the proper procedure prior to having earwax removed, that causes problems with microsuction and ear irrigation. I have corresponded with people that have had microsuction and ear irrigation. In every instance where problems occurred, it was because they were not advised to apply eardrops 3 times a day to each ear for 10 days before having the wax removed.

Michael

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have had an unfortunate experience with the Caloric test @dpdx for reasons I am not quite sure. I have never had this test so can't comment on it.

Michael

11. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      + CVEMP which was 90db. I am a living proof that ear tests are not a good idea for somewone who has NIHL :D :D
      I emailed many audiologists and they told me that there is no risk.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Audiologists, Hearing Therapists and ENT doctors. They mean well and know about the anatomy of the ear. When it comes to tinnitus, many of them haven't got a clue about it. Those that do usually have the condition but not I suspect to the level or severity, that a lot of people in this forum experience.

Michael

13. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I understand. They seem to be so stubborn when being told that ECOG and Acoustic Reflex can cause hearing loss. I imagine doing those ear tests is like putting earbuds in and blasting my ipod 100% volume for 2 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carlos28

carlos28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      It's still here I didn't even go to work today because of how shaken this has left me. I've just been thinking about this at home all day. I feel like it's coming from my ear drum. It even reacts differently when I yawn. It just feels weird like if my my ear is full. Really regret going to get my ear irrigated. It was bad when I went and now it's even worse :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Carlos please stay calm! About a month ago I had an issue with my ear-drum where it had this thumping noise like you describe. Whenever i swallowed, yawned, moved my jaw or randomly it would make this sound. I like you was very worried and went to an doctor who said it all looked fine. Over the next couple of days it lessened to the point where it disappeared. I think the irrigation must have just irritated your ear drum, but if you let it heal it should go away. The more you panic and worry the worse it will seem. I know it is easier said than done, but try to take your mind off it!

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carlos28

carlos28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Thank you Jack! It may just be irritated after all. This really helped calm my nerves a bit. I appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mich
      Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see you had developed tinnitus already in the past. I pretty much always browse on mobile since touchscreens are easier on my chronic pain.

Is the sound of your T louder or do you just have these vibrations in addition to it? Maybe you have TTTS?

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carlos28

carlos28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      It sounds completely different from my T, it feels like if its my eardrum letting off the noise, which sounds like a low buzzing sound. Like the sound a running fridge makes.

19. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      syringing can go wrong and damage hearing.

20. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      if it is a middle ear problem with the Tensor typani then it would usually be reactionary to noise, very low pitch tinnitus can give the illusion of vibration I think.

21. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am 99% sure it is just irritated and it will get better given some time! Potentially go see an ENT if you can who may confirm it is a little irritated.

Contrast is very scientific which can sometimes lead to worst case scenario conclusions so don't let that freak you out. I am optimistic for you as you should be too. I am certain it will get better with sometime and rest. Don't go poking anything in your ears because it may irritate your eardrum more.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carlos28

carlos28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Hey Jack, just thought I'd provide a quick update. I woke up this morning feeling A LOT better! :D I think it's either gone away or significantly gone down but I no longer feel like my ear drum is bugging me making all that noise! Thanks for everyone's support!

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I told you!

I'm so happy it worked out. Make sure you don't irritate it more while you let it heal. It will continue to fade as it heals too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am shocked they would preform such barbaric practices. Ear Syringing (Caloric Test) and Microsuction with of course Acoustic Reflex, ECOG, CVEMP, etc can and will cause hearing damage.

25. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had ear syringing done for years and never had any problems. I even had it done post tinnitus and only got a temporary spike from it. Most people are fine with these tests. They just don't have damaged hearing.

When can we admit that we are susceptible to more damage? Our limits are lower but even among us how much each sufferer can withstand must vary.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      In the future just get a dropper and apply 2-3 whole droppers of hydrogen peroxide every 3-4 weeks and it keeps the earwax away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spot on Red. Its a risk!

28. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did ear syringing and got hearing damage in both ears. Please be careful we are at risk now for damage, our ears are very fragile. I am still battling the t increase from the resturant. H is better today compared to yesterday but still not good. I want to go back to when I had Mild T.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      @Contrast
      @Jack Straw
      @Red
      I feel like I have similar feeling. It was very bad at first.
      I felt like my ear was getting clogged up somewhat with mild physical pain/feeling and thumping/physical pressure on my left ear drum. It sounded very low, like a sub woofer. At these moments the Morse code type of ringing in my left ear increased too. The weird thing that when I had these episodes the high pitch hiss (~15000 hz) in my left side of the head was reduced to almost non existent (1-2/10). It came back when the the pressure episode stopped.

I'm on seventh day of Dexamethasone now and I've noticed that the "pressure episodes" have been reduced dramatically both in frequency of appearance and in their volume, but they started to appear very faintly in my right ear. One of the doctors thinks I might have ETD or some sort of otitis. He also noticed signs scarring on both of mine eardrums.

What do you think can cause this? Can noise induced damage cause this feeling? Or is it strictly physical since I feel it physically on my eardrum? I have a lot of possible reasons for my tinnitus and in terms of noise exposure I only used headphones to play video games (only shooters, no music). I've used them for ears without any problems and my tinnitus has started very abruptly, so I'm not sure that they might be the culprit. I also have chronic allergies and sinus problems.

P.S. My first audiogram showed -5 db through the bone and - 35 db through the air at 8000 hz in my left ear. I has improved since then (without steroids), but hearing through the bone dropped to -15 db.

Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know too much about this. @Contrast seems to be more knowledgeable.

• Like Like x 1