Tinnitus After Shooting a 9mm Gun

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kaleb Nobles, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Kaleb Nobles

Kaleb Nobles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/30/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot (9mm - 16 Rounds
      Hi all,

I shot a 9mm yesterday, and I didn’t use any hearing protection (which I knew I should have). The only reason I didn’t is because there were little ones around, and I didn’t want to take theirs.

Now, I’ve got a case of tinnitus. I can hear mostly fine, but the incessant ringing is driving me up the wall. I had this same issue back on the hunting trip with my father years ago after the .44 magnum I was peer pressured into shooting, and that went away. I’m not sure if it’s going to go away or stay. While I’m able to think and function clearly, I can’t deal with this.

My hearing is slightly muffled and sensitive to human voices, but other than that, it is mostly fine. I’m incredibly scared, but after reading some of the success stories, I’ve found a bit of comfort. What should I do? My parents are suggesting trying some “Ring Relief” from the local Walmart.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You may consider getting HBOT treatments (search this forum). In one of the studies linked to in the first post on
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-many-recover-3-studies.21441/
      close to 70% of soldiers (who had an acoustic trauma due to gunshots) had eventually recovered. All of those soldiers received HBOT treatments.

Check out the thread below where I summarize everything (27 tips) I learned about managing tinnitus after reading the posts on this forum for the past year.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Maybe see your out of hours doctor for a course of prednisolone .
      love glynis