Tinnitus and Alcohol

Discussion in 'Support' started by vasil, Dec 21, 2014.

1. vasil

vasil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      How this two mix up? I read almost all of the older posts and the answer to my question was that alcohol boost up T to the roof. 2 days ago I had around 3-4 beers. I wasnt drunk, but for sure I was not suitable to drive for example. After that i was expecting a terrible night, with strong buzzing in my head, but at first T was with its normal power. The interesting thing is that 2-3 hours later I had a moment of almost complete silence. Is it possible to be from the alcohol?

2. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I found that couple beers actually lowers my T for a little while ...not sure why but it does

3. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      A few beers never does my T any harm. Moderation is the key.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. SickoMicko
      Arsewit

SickoMicko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection or the medication to cure it.
      If you can walk in and not have to crawl out, I don't think alcohol has any adverse effect, at least not in my case . Meilee Kalickmocka!

5. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

It's like with caffeine I guess... everyone has a different take on it. Most people will say coffee doesn't affect their tinnitus at all while a few will swear up and down it will. With alcohol most people are the opposite and find it spikes it up. That's probably the most frustrating thing about the condition -- it varies so much from person to person and there really are no rules.

That's why it's important to try it out for yourself. If you can have a few beers and it makes your T go quiet then go enjoy! I haven't had a sip of alcohol since my tinnitus went up a level back in May. Before that it was very very mild and after a heavy night of drinking it would go from being "couldn't hear it with a fan on" to "could kinda hear it with a fan on". Annoying for sure but well worth the price for the night out before.

6. Chris D

Chris D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 10, 2014
      Yes, I found the same thing accidently. 2-3 hours after 3-4 shots of whiskey and my T is nearly silent. Holy shit, I couldn't believe it. It is really quite remarkable. I have done this now for three days in a row and hope that it continues to work. I see no difference between this and taking any other drug, so if it works I will be sticking with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    7. ole gray
      Fine

ole gray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam
      A golfing buddy of mine told me he had to quit drinking for health reasons. After several months his tinnitus completely went away. I'm going to eliminate alcohol for 30 days to see if there is any improvement. I'm also going to up my time at the gym to see how exercise affects my tinnitus.

Recently the VA approved hearing aids for me. It may or may not help however at least now I will have that in my corner.

• Like Like x 2
    8. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      ethanol modulates the same receptors as benzos, GABAa, so it reduces tinnitus at first stages.
      But the effect does not last for long and after you develop dependence you will have worse tinnitus than before.
      My suggestion stay away from alcohol and benzos if you have tinnitus; they can make a mild/moderate tinnitus terrible.

9. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      It has never made my tinnitus worse in 4 years..

10. Hayden Gooddy

Hayden Gooddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I get drunk as a skunk and smoke a couple j’s A few times a year, but it used to be much more frequent. I found when I was drinking I didn’t notice my T, and if I did, I didn’t care about it. Now here’s the catch for me, the day of my hangover my biggest symptom is extreme anxiety, and with it very loud T. For me, although unpleasant, I can bare it, but be weary for the next day might be hard. Ultimately I don’t think alcohol is great for T.

11. Julien87
      Balanced

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Surprising, what was the cause of your friend's T?

12. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure, maybe noise (MRI, smoke detector alarm) + somatic??
      Please tell us your result!