Tinnitus and Bell's Palsy

Discussion in 'Support' started by Samir, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with Bell's palsy this weekend. Who else here has it? I am beginning to investigate to see if there is any correlation between Bell's palsy and tinnitus. While I was only diagnosed with it recently, when I noticed my lips were not functioning properly, I think I may have had this coming for some time now. I recall having some of these symptoms earlier, but not as pronounced. So my thinking is that Bell's palsy may be responsible or contribute to my tinnitus perception. In fact, I have had a couple of episodes of fleeting tinnitus in my right ear, the palsy side, after seeing a doctor this weekend. I can't recall the last time I had a fleeting tinnitus, and I used to get it in my left ear, which is the bad ear side.

This all makes me worried about what the future might hold for me. I don't even care about the tinnitus anymore and I have habituated to it. Right now I just want my face back.

Doctors will tell you that in 70% of Bell's palsy cases, they don't know the exact cause is. They don't know much do they now? They just give you some steroids and send you home to play the waiting game.

I would appreciate some feedback on this. Please tell me about your experience if you have or have had Bell's palsy. Did it resolve on its own? Did you get any kind of therapy for it?

Regards,
      Samir

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Samir,
      Aww Samir,
      Hope your eyes are not effected and won't close.
      A friend had it and caused by dentist injections, he could not talk well or drink from a cup with out dribbling and had to tape his eye down at night.

It went after a few weeks after taking prednisolone.
      It will go away so try not to worry and if your not on prednisolone for it then it would be worth asking for some.

lots of love Glynis xxx

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      It can take anywhere between 4 weeks to 6 months to fully restore motor function. If it's severe enough, it may only be restored partially or never be restored at all. At least not without intervention, such as having a surgical procedure.

But what really shocks me is how very little we know about the many different conditions and diseases of the brain and the nervous systems. Basically, unless you have some syndrome that includes Bell's palsy or you had a head trauma, or a tick bite, they have no clue what's causing the condition. Some have suggested that it's due to reactivation of Herpes Simplex virus which many of us carry or it's due to some autoimmune disease. They are all just guessing.

What I found to be clinically significant is that the facial nerve passes through the same opening in the skull as the vestibulo-cochlear nerve, and it is also innervates the exterior part of the ear, as well as the tensor tympani muscle for the ear drum, and it even branches off to the stapedius muscle that dampens the vibrations of the stapes bone against the oval window. This implicates that a person with Bell's palsy is going to be more sensitive to sounds on their palsy side of the face, they are going to have hyperacusis. Not only that, if you have an acoustic neuroma that is growing in size, it is going to compress the facial motor fibers and all the other nerve fibers that go through the same bony passage in the skull.

I have still not had any head scan. I saw a fricking ENT! Even though Wikipedia clearly states that Bell's palsy as well as facial paralysis in general falls under the specialty of neurology. I can't seem to get rid of these people. Seriously! Why would I see an ENT if I have Bell's palsy? Unbelievable! Only in Sweden!

Instead of ordering a head scan, they have ordered a hearing test. So I will be seeing an audiologist very soon. Another fricking hearing test! I can see why they would want to do a hearing test. But I am getting sick and tired of this. Meanwhile I could be having an acoustic neuroma growing inside my head. Why the hell don't they do a scan of my head? Unbelievable! They won't do that until I turn completely deaf or worse - dead. It is apparently a common practice here in Sweden to send patients to an ENT doctor when they get facial paralysis or Bell's palsy. Neurologists and head scans are reserved for much more severe incidents such as skull fracture, total paralysis, stroke, coma, etc. Where you know your chances of recovery are slim anyway, and you don't need a neuro-whatever-ologist to tell you that.

Anyhow! I will let you guys know how this goes. I try to stay positive, but given all the circumstances and all the things going on in my life right now, it is really, really hard to keep smiling. Oh right... I can't smile right now anyway. Haha! :meh: I can't use the computer much either. My eye gets all wet and I can't blink. I have to wipe my tears off manually every now and then. :cry: Like a manual windshield wiper on an old automobile! :wacky: Not amused!

So yeah... take care of yourself everyone!

• Hug Hug x 5
    4. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Samir,
      I forgot to mention a family member got it last year age 3 and her little face dropped one side, she went on ok and back to normal after 4 weeks.
      It was a shock for my nephew see her daughter like that but felt better after had heard other people's stories with Bells.
      I hope your face soon gets better,
      lots of love and hugs Glynis x

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Sorry to hear that. From the bottom of my heart. At least it looks like it is treatable.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      wow, I am deeply sorry for this happening to you. A gal I know had the same thing happen to her and it's horrible. I hope you overcome this and your face/facial muscles get better.

You shall for sure be in my prayers!

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Thank you everyone for your support and putting a smile on the good side of my face! ;)

A fun fact is that people with this condition can put up a big smile if it's a true, genuine emotional expression (limbic system) and not a forced smile like at the doctor's office. :)

I hope for the best, and I will continue to use my medication. I will keep you posted.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Current World's Strongest Man Thor (or The Mountain, Hathor Julius Bjornssen - English spelling) had this during the competition last year. He was told by some top doctors that it was from a virus and lasts between weeks and months, but it recovers. I think that it has other potential causes but I don't know much more about it.

Hoping you recover quickly from it Samir.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      So sorry @Samir.:(

I don't understand why you are referred to an ENT and hearing test. In the info below a CT scan is often recommended.

I have a friend whose Bell's Palsy went away within a month or so.

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Bells-Palsy-Fact-Sheet

How is it diagnosed?

A diagnosis of Bell's palsy is made based on clinical presentation -- including a distorted facial appearance and the inability to move muscles on the affected side of the face -- and by ruling out other possible causes of facial paralysis. There is no specific laboratory test to confirm diagnosis of the disorder.

Generally, a physician will examine the individual for upper and lower facial weakness. In most cases this weakness is limited to one side of the face or occasionally isolated to the forehead, eyelid, or mouth. A test called electromyography (EMG) can confirm the presence of nerve damage and determine the severity and the extent of nerve involvement. Blood tests can sometimes be helpful in diagnosing other concurrent problems such as diabetes and certain infections. A magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT) scan can eliminate other structural causes of pressure on the facial nerve.

What is the prognosis?

The prognosis for individuals with Bell's palsy is generally very good. The extent of nerve damage determines the extent of recovery. Improvement is gradual and recovery times vary. With or without treatment, most individuals begin to get better within 2 weeks after the initial onset of symptoms and most recover completely, returning to normal function within 3 to 6 months. For some, however, the symptoms may last longer. In a few cases, the symptoms may never completely disappear. In rare cases, the disorder may recur, either on the same or the opposite side of the face.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Samir is Lyme disease at all a thing where you live? The reason I ask, is that where I live, if you show up at a hospital with Bell's Palsy and no other symptoms, they will instantly assume you have lyme disease and start treating it immediately. Tinnitus is also a common symptom of Lyme disease, so...

I would definitely try to consider this if there's any possibility at all that you've been exposed to ticks of any kind. Lyme is one of those things that doesn't have to be that big a deal if it's treated correctly pretty quickly, but if it goes a long time without treatment it can really mess you up.

• Like Like x 1
    11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Please keep us updated on your situation. I really hope that it gets better and your face/facial nerves return back to normal...

12. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acustic trauma, neuro-lyme/rx co-op toxins
      Man, are You sure, You dont have lyme? This shit have 1000 faces. Every person with like T, Visual snow and other fucked up conditions should check that. In my case, Elisa and Western Blot were negative but LLT test (lymphocyte transformation test) went positive (garinii burgdorferi and many others + coinfections) . This shit is hiding in nerves and U dont have it in blood. Its invisible for standard tests.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @linearb, I agree with your post 100%. One item to add: I've believed for years--similarly to many Lyme researchers--that Lyme bacteria can be transmitted by mosquitoes. A recent study apparently has confirmed this for the first time. Below the dotted line is the introduction to an article on this, and below that is the link to the article. -- Personally, I believe a number of other disease carrying bacteria--as of yet unidentified or discovered by medical science--can also be transmitted by mosquitoes, ticks, etc.

Specifically, one 2015 study performed at Goethe-University and the University of Frankfurt has found that mosquitoes have the equipment after all to enable Borrelia spirochetes the ability to survive for the durations necessary to be viable vectors of Lyme disease.

“This study, for the first time, found that Borreliae endure the metamorphosis from larvae to pupae, and again from pupae to mosquito. The study confirmed this by capturing larvae which tested to have Borreliae. Then, while monitoring the laboratory-hatched specimens each stage of their metamorphosis, the researchers were able to confirm that the mosquitoes maintained the Borrelia in their organism through the changes despite never having a blood meal.”

MOSQUITOES, LYME INFECTIONS & WHY SOME PEOPLE GET BITTEN MORE THAN OTHERS

14. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm really sorry you are going through this, I really hope you get better and heal. From what it seems it is curable, try to think positive, I know it's hard but I really hope you endure bell's palsey, you will be in my thought, I have hopes you will get better, cheers :)

15. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Samir I started to have problems with my lips as in the pictures and videos of BP online. I was also drooling. I talked about my situation earlier this year. I had researched this and all the many conditions of facial and mouth that can associate.

One neuro said it was Bell's Palsy, then a facial doctor said sort of, but you have tinnitus. What he meant by that is most of the time the reason for BP is never truly known, but if you also have tinnitus then all the possible reasons is narrowed down.

I have greatly improved, but I will sometimes place my lower lip under my top lip which happens with BP as an inherited condition. After testing my eighth cranial nerve was tense from neck nerves which the facial doctor said was the reason before testing. I don't know if this is your problem, but most likely BP does relate to your tinnitus. For me muscles in my neck needed to be gently strengthened and nerves gently stretched. I do have other facial concerns from dental whiplash and dental errors.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Samir,
      Just posting to say hi ,
      I know your going through a tough time at the moment and hope you have a loving family to support you..
      Lot's of virtual hugs from me and I hope your BP settles soon for you.
      Hope you manage have a good day .
      love Glynis x

• Like Like x 2
    17. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lane I have lyme from probably flea bite. I remember that moment. 3 months latar everything started.

18. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      @Samir

Hi, I've had Bell's Palsy! It was a terrible experience, especially since it was spring time here when it hit me, and since I couldn't blink out of one my eyes, sometimes bugs would land in the eye goop keeping my eye moisturized and I'd have to dab a bug out of my eye with q-tip. Very scary and humbling. The whole ordeal lasted around 3 weeks and the doctor prescribed a steroid to speed up the recovery. Stay strong! It's very terrifying experience, but you'll get through it. You'll want to spend time every day massaging your face in a circular motion around your eyes and such.

If you have any questions, let me know. Also, I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy many years after first getting tinnitus and it had no effect on it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Samir, my mom had Bells Palsy before I was born. She had it for around a year and told me and my brother about it when we were younger.

I wish you well buddy.

• Hug Hug x 3
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Once again, thank you guys for all your support. You guys are the best! (y)

It's time for a quick update on my progress. It's been a week now. I do feel like my mouth has improved a little bit. It makes it easier for me to eat and drink. The eye and eye lid are still affected, and I have a metallic taste in my mouth. But hopefully that will also improve with time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Samir, thanks for the update. -- Just to mention, I deal with chronic issues surrounding my cranial nerves, which I believe became seriously impacted from an accident when I was a teenager. I've found applying a mixture of DMSO and magnesium oil to my neck and head area helps a lot with my symptoms. DMSO in partcular is exceptional for improving circulation and reducing inflammation, which helps the healing process. -- Best!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Time for a quick update again. Thanks again guys for your support! It's been almost 2 weeks now. My mouth has improved quite a lot. The eye lid is less of a problem now. It closes quite well. But it seems to be affecting the eye muscles still. Because if I put a hand in front of my good eye, it seems like too much light is flooding in on the palsy side. It's a like a big glare and it's best observed at night with street lights against a dark background. I don't get that at all on the good eye. I'm not sure if Bell's palsy affects the ciliary muscle that controls the lens and accommodation. However I do notice a slight improvement here as well.

What I also discovered is that my neck muscle is also affected on the palsy side so it makes drinking liquids more difficult. This so called "facial" nerve controls so many things.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    23. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Samir,
      I'm so glad to hear your on the mend and im sure another week or so will have your eye better also.
      I know your going through a lot at the moment and sending you lots of love and hugs.
      love glynis xxx

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      My doctor did an extensive blood work up for me and found out I had traces of lyme in my blood. I had it only in 2/4 categories and so the test was negative but still makes me wonder if I had it in the past...

25. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do LLT test.

26. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Red,

Most doctors know very little about the unreliability of traditional Lyme testing. Which I think is somewhat similar to how much most ENTs know about the intricacies of tinnitus. Unfortunately, though the Lyme testing has gotten better, most doctors rely on the old, out-moded tests. Things are changing, but I don't expect things to change much any time soon. -- In case you don't know, Lyme can be either a primary or contributing factor in tinnitus. -- Best!

27. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Interesting even if it is a case study and even if the patient had no tinnitus. It might be a cause of tinnitus.

Facial-Stapedial Synkinesis Following Acute Idiopathic Facial Palsy

Introduction: While most patients note a complete resolution of facial paralysis in Bell’s Palsy, up to 30% will have persistent facial weakness and develop synkinesis. All branches of the facial nerve are at risk for developing synkinesis, but stapedial synkinesis has rarely been reported in the literature.

Case Presentation: A 45-year-old man presented with sudden onset, complete right facial paralysis. One-and-a-half years later, he had persistent facial weakness and synkinesis. He noted persistent right aural fullness and hearing loss. Audiometry demonstrated facial-stapedial synkinesis.

Discussion: The patient was diagnosed with stapedial synkinesis based on audiometric findings by comparing his hearing at rest and with sustained facial mimetic movement. A literature review revealed 21 reported cases of this disorder.

Conclusions: Facial-stapedial synkinesis is an underdiagnosed phenomenon for patients recovering from idiopathic facial palsy. Patients who develop facial synkinesis also may have a component of stapedial synkinesis and should be referred to an otolaryngologist if they complain of any otologic symptoms, such as unilateral hearing loss or tinnitus. Definitive management involves surgical transection of the stapedial tendon.

Full article:

Attached Files:

28. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Interesting even if it is a case study and even if the patient had no tinnitus. It might be a cause of tinnitus.

Facial-Stapedial Synkinesis Following Acute Idiopathic Facial Palsy

Introduction: While most patients note a complete resolution of facial paralysis in Bell’s Palsy, up to 30% will have persistent facial weakness and develop synkinesis. All branches of the facial nerve are at risk for developing synkinesis, but stapedial synkinesis has rarely been reported in the literature.

Case Presentation: A 45-year-old man presented with sudden onset, complete right facial paralysis. One-and-a-half years later, he had persistent facial weakness and synkinesis. He noted persistent right aural fullness and hearing loss. Audiometry demonstrated facial-stapedial synkinesis.

Discussion: The patient was diagnosed with stapedial synkinesis based on audiometric findings by comparing his hearing at rest and with sustained facial mimetic movement. A literature review revealed 21 reported cases of this disorder.

Conclusions: Facial-stapedial synkinesis is an underdiagnosed phenomenon for patients recovering from idiopathic facial palsy. Patients who develop facial synkinesis also may have a component of stapedial synkinesis and should be referred to an otolaryngologist if they complain of any otologic symptoms, such as unilateral hearing loss or tinnitus. Definitive management involves surgical transection of the stapedial tendon.

Full article: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33091292/

29. Pjschfox#55

Pjschfox#55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 1, 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Could be Bells Palsy or unknown
      As soon as I was diagnosed with Bell's palsy, I did acupuncture, chiropractic and massage every week. As well as beef up on B12, Zinc, Lysine, Vitamin C and started some facial exercises. Mine fully resolved in 3 weeks. Had a week and a half of bliss but then started pulsatile tinnitus... same side. I've had that since April 1. Recently had Reiki with massage and learned tapping technique EFT (emotional freedom technique). Baths have been a huge help in dealing with it.

• Winner Winner x 1