Tinnitus and Crackling in Ear — Is It Safe to Get on a Plane?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bowen, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Bowen

Bowen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After MRI
      Hi, I am new here. I got tinnitus in my left ear only after I had done an MRI for my left knee in September last year. Earplugs have been provided along with a non-voice canceling headphone with music which didn't protect me well. A low-pitched ringing developed and I thought that it would fade out with time but I was wrong.

3 months ago I was awakened by a high-pitched ringing for several minutes while I was sleeping. I went to an audiologist the day after to do a hearing test. I have a mild 3000 Hz notch hearing loss in my left ear with normal hearing in my right ear. I was referred to an ENT, who suggested me to do an MRI as I have unilateral tinnitus. I refused as I am afraid that it would worsen my tinnitus right now (as some of you in the forum suggested it too). Sometimes the tinnitus is bearable that I could ignore and go to sleep. Recently I have a high-pitched ringing in my right ear too, and it lasted for several seconds.

Last week I found out that there would be a crackling/popping sound when I was intentionally swallowing my saliva. I went back to the ENT again and he said that my ET functioned well. It has been a week already and I still have a crackling sound, even when I wasn’t swallowing. I have mild sinus developed in the nose and throat, maybe there is a connection with the crackling sound? I am not sure. I am now taking the sinus relief medicine, sinus decongestant and using nasal spray but the crackling sound still exists.

I am worried as I need to get on a plane next week. I am afraid that I can't get my ear adjusted to the pressurized cabin with my crackling in my left ear now, as face mask is required to be worn during the journey, it makes breathing and equalized difficult as I can’t touch the surface of the face mask. Any suggestions that could improve my current situation? Thanks in advance!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      @Bowen, welcome to the forum. You can try yawning and swallowing saliva while wearing face mask. Also you can wear a disposable glove on the hand that you will use to close the nostrils for popping the ear drums. At least bring some napkins so your hands don't have to touch the facemask directly when you blow the nose. Flying has been no problem with tinnitus for many members. Bring earplugs such as EarPlanes type or noise cancelling headphones. I just use my fingers during takeoff. Lol. Good luck. God bless.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bowen

Bowen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After MRI
      @billie48, thank you for your advice! It really helps! I just got on the plane yesterday and I got my EarPlanes with me. My left ear kept popping but I try to keep yawning and swallowing saliva and I gone through the journey. Tinnitus is now louder and I hope it will be lowered in a few days.