Tinnitus and Hearing Loss in One Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by azi90, Aug 13, 2015.

1. azi90
      Panicky

azi90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi,
      Im new to forums. i have had tinnitus in my right ear and some what hearing loss (a little trouble understand conversation on the phone compare to left one) for no appearant reason.

I was googling and came across some results why i could have hearing loss on only one ear and am terrified. Accoustic neuronoma seems to be only thing that could be causing it.

I have got it checked by my GP there is no infection or anything else.

appointment coming up with ENT possibly in a month. Until than im terrified of what if its Accoustic Neuronoma? ..
      any one else who had tinnitus and hearing loss only in one ear for no appearant reason??

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @azi90,

I have both hearing loss and tinnitus in one ear only (right ear). Mine does have a specific cause, though. It started about 30 years ago, after exposure to a loud sound. Back then, I only had mild tinnitus. The hearing loss progressed slowly, and now I have not only tinnitus and hearing loss, but also pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear only.

I don't think you should jump to any conclusions about your condition. Reading things on the internet can really cause a lot of unnecessary fear and worry about illnesses or problems that may actually be benign conditions.

I looked up acoustic neuroma; here is an article about it from the Mayo Clinic:
      http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acoustic-neuroma/basics/definition/con-20023851

My advice is to not read too many symptoms on the internet. Then, make a list of specific questions that you may want to ask your doctor. I'm glad you're going to the ENT soon, but if you cannot get any satisfactory answers from him, you might want to try a different doctor to get a second opinion.

For many of us, I think that aging and slow deterioration may be what causes our tinnitus and hearing loss to begin. It's possible that you had hearing loss in the very high ranges for awhile and did not notice it. Then, as time passed, it may have slowly gotten worse.

Please try not to worry, and go to that doctor appointment armed with lots of questions.

I hope you'll let us know what your doctor has to say, after you've been to your appointment.

Take care,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss and tinnitus are much more common than neuromas.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      azi90
      Panicky

azi90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      i agree hearing loss and T is very common. but i heard if its only in one ear without a specific reason. that is something to be worried about.

5. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Leodavinci Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic + Sudden hearing loss
      If you think you have SSHL Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss I think you need to see an ENT much sooner to perhaps get on a steroid fast. Go out of town for a sooner ENT appt if necessary. As others have said an acoustic neuroma is very unlikely and less so if your hearing was lost very quickly - over the course of a few hours or days. Many cases of SSHL get better spontaneously. Wish you well

6. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Indeed. Acoustic neuromas are very rare. The prevalence is 10 cases per 1 000 000 people. 0.001%.

One of the last things to start worrying about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey seriously I have been thinking the same thing about me, but I went to see my Doctor/ENT/ registrar (not sure exactly which one she was however all I knew was that all the ENTs work under her or something) after my MRI results came back and had been analysed and it turns out I wasted way too much time worrying about it, so seriously do not worry! More importantly do not google things it just worries you (I do it all the time and when I worry I seriously worry) I was in your position and when I started worrying I actually convinced myself I had symptoms so just take a deep breath! Btw I feel like my T and hearing is a little worse in the left. I know you can't help but worry but just relax for a bit :) Also an MRI should be able to show them what's inside your ear maybe they'll suggest one. I don't know for a fact that you don't have it but I do I know its not worth driving yourself crazy about until your ENTs and doctors have literally told you there is a reason to be worried I went through the exact same thing I went into that hospital today sweating bullets, about what I was scared they were going to tell me and It was running over an hour late so I just worried more. Stay calm and keep us posted and remember your imagination is your biggest enemy at the moment!

Sending hugs and support :)
      Georgia

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      azi90
      Panicky

azi90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi thanks for your support. Do you T and hearing loss in only one ear?

9. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well I have a hearing loss in both however I hear more tinnitus in the left than the right one (right one fluctuates more) and that was enough for someone to suggest on the forum to get it checked out (I had already had the MRI before hand though) and It turns out my nerves, and my MRI are normal so they are more curious because that is quiet unusual to have someone with inner ear issues yet doesn't seem to have anything wrong with their nerves etc, so I'm getting kidney scans a heart scan, and probably an eye check, because a hearing loss can also link to these. I've had tinnitus for about 7 years and now they've started investigating my hearing loss etc, however you should consider for your self that perhaps it is only in the one ear because its a symptom of your hearing loss, and by the way my registrar today did tell me that in fact my ear infection when I was 8 is extremely unlikely to cause problems in the inner ear so its not probably the cause. She also mentioned that it could be congenital although I had normal hearing when I was a young child, but it didn't develop till later. As you can see their are plenty of possibilities for things when it comes to this, don't think about what google said wait until people who have actually assessed your situation to tell you what they think is wrong and who know about this :) Trust me I get it I google my symptoms and I do not sleep for days! Learn from my mistake!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      azi90
      Panicky

azi90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I had audio test today at ents office and doctor said he doesnt see anything wrong with my either hearing? :S Both passed the audio tests

i do feel like there is somewhat slightest hearing loss on right one compared to left one(not really noticable) tho. Like the noise is not as loud as it is on good without T ear.

anyways he still referred me for MRI. Lets see.
      i wouldnt have so freaked out if my T and hearing loss was in both ears. HAving in just one ear is contantly scaring me

11. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The fact that you have T in one ear might make it harder to hear things I have to admit I find it hard to understand people often because T makes it harder to filter the sounds I hear I guess.

A few people on here have tinnitus without a hearing loss, which I always found strange I thought it was like a package deal (silly of me) because I couldn't understand why you would have T if your ears could hear perfectly fine but the world is strange. As for the MRI keep us posted It took me about 8 minutes to have mine done and that was in June the results came back in August, just don't think about it till then, because I started worrying about 12 days ago and my t got so much worse so try not to think about it now because we need to both remember A) We should stop using google as our doctor! and B) We would never have worried if we hadn't googled anything to begin with!

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      azi90
      Panicky

azi90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Really? just in 8 mins? i heard brain MRI's take about 30-45 mins. i been being paranoid of how am i gonna stay still for so long. 8 mins is not bad if thats how long it takes

13. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well they were very fast with me hopefully It will be fast for you too! You can move your feet and torso just keep around your head and shoulder area still.

14. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      depends of the results in realtion with your age. What are your results?

Also Hearing loss in only one ear is not unthinkable. I'm sure it's not a neuronoma

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      azi90
      Panicky

azi90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      i dont have results handy. i am 25 y/o and doctor and his nurse both said results are within Normal range. Im in canada

16. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Good news.

I think tumors like the one you fear cause real hearing loss.
      Remember that some people have noise induced T, but have still perfect hearing.

17. CalB

CalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Neuroma
      Be aware that acoustic neuroma is one possible cause, even if it's rare. But I believe it usually shows hearing loss as a symptom. One day this year I developed Tinnitus and it stayed constant. The ENT found mild hearing loss in one ear only and recommended an MRI. I thought it was overkill but I went. He diagnosed a small benign tumor on the hearing nerve. I'm going for another MRI in six months to see if it is growing. I just live with the T symptoms.