Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Made Worse by Cold?

Discussion in 'Support' started by orbiter12, Sep 10, 2017.

1. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      My tinnitus has spiked significantly after an onset of a cold. I'm taking sudofed nasal spray for the blocked nose which seems to be working but the tinnitus is still significantly worse.

My ears also feel blocked and my sensitivity to noise seems to have got worse.

Will this spike be temporary and go back down to baseline when the cold has gone?

What medications can I take to help pass the cold quicker and unblock my ears etc?

2. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      Thats how mine started from a cold and ear felt plugged unfortunately that was a year back. I found rest and water to rid the cold. I do get some days of silence but most its a light high pitch. Some meds can be detrimental to T be careful

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      The hyperacusis in my right ear has become unbearable, even the sound of me coughing, dropping keys, people shutting cupboards has become unbearable. My left ear feels normal as it was before...

Please tell me this will go back to normal? I find it hard to believe a cold can cause all the symptoms I've been having? Increased tinnitus and hyperacusis, blocked feeling in ears and severe pain etc? Went to the walk in center and urgent care and seen by a nurse each time, said no sign of infection etc...

My hyperacusis was basically cured before this.