Tinnitus and My Possible Causes

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kita1, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Kita1

Kita1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly multiple things
      Hi all, I’m new to this forum today and thought I would share my experience too. It might be a long one!! Like most people I go backward and forward each day in my mind as to the cause of my T which began in Oct 17. I’ve always had a bit of the odd ringing in my ears but not to the extent where it was driving me insane.

This time mainly in my right ear. I went to my gp first who prescribed nasal spray and said there was quite a bit of mucus in the ear. Maybe after a couple of weeks I had a week were it diminished quite a bit and hardly heard a thing. Since then it has come back on and off sometimes very loud others not too bad.

In Oct I was made redundant and was very stressed at work. In August I had a mirena coil fitted and stumbled across many internet articles that other women had started with ear ringing and still suffered months after it was removed, hence I had it removed as it made me feel unstable. I am also anaemic and take iron tablets for heavy periods sorry to be graphic. Doc did blood tests for thyroid etc all ok. The cold wind really makes my T louder. Not moving too much helps it though. I do get stressed quite easily so I’m upping all my B vitamins and magnesium.

I was interested to read other peoples ideas about reflux as I have suffered with this for 11 years. However I don’t like taking the meds for too long as I don’t think they help your digestive system in the long run. I stay away from wheat most of the time as it increases the reflux and when I eat wheat the T gets worse! Who knows it’s all trial and error. Will follow up in a week or so as I’m suffering bad with it this week but have just started a new job.

So is it stress? It is also worse during the monthly cycle so is it hormones too??! Well sorry to rattle on and I hope this can be useful to someone else. All the best

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Kita1 ,welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      It could well be your hormones as leading up and during your time of the month can spike tinnitus and your hormones will settle now your coil is out.
      Stress won't help so take time out through the day to relax and squeeze a few minutes brething exercises in when you need time out .
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kita1

Kita1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly multiple things
      Thank you Glynis I feel better getting that off my chest! All the best

• Like Like x 2
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Tinnitus is sometimes not easy to pin down to the cause or causes. You already mention above quite a few likely causes.

There are many causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc. T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc. Pulsatile tinnitus that follows the heart beat can be caused by circulatory system problem and a doctor should be consulted asap.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kita1

Kita1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly multiple things
      Silence is golden ! Thank you for the reply, after having an almost silent day at work yesterday then feeling utterly deflated as I could barely sleep with T last night, I have had only maybe a squeak of noise today. For anyone else reading hope this might help. It’s probably useful to keep a diary of triggers and symptoms really. So what have I done differently in the last two days. Yesterday I took 2 x 1300mg evening primrose oil and took an iron tablet today. Even though I do keep healthy and fit I do loves crisps (v salty though) I have avoided these today. Also had two sprays of the Beconase nasal spray today that the doctor prescribed for me and also tried to stay out of the cold wind. Also I haven’t had any wheat for the last week.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Of all the things you mentioned, the EP is the most interesting. I've read a few accounts of Evening Primrose lowering the volume, and while I'm not sure what the mechanism behind that would be, it seems worth a try. From what I gather, the GLA in Evening Primrose blocks prostaglandins and eases the pain of menstrual cramps. Maybe it also somehow acts on neurotransmitters? I never had any luck with nasal spray or wheat avoidance. Avoiding too much salt is probably a good idea, as it seems to be a mainstay of Meniere's treatment and keeping fluid levels balanced in the inner ear.

• Like Like x 1