Tinnitus and Now Also Pulsating Hissing

Discussion in 'Support' started by TinniTom, Feb 11, 2017.

1. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Hi all!

I have Tinnitus since about 20 years and was able to manage it somehow. Now I got a pulsating hissing to it which freaks me a bit out. It is not very loud and I can just recognize it in silence but it is very awkward and even if there are noises around and when I do not hear it, it feels a bit different which makes hard to not think about it.

After 20 years with Tinnitus I know how and why this can happen but I have no idea why I got this suddenly. Do anybody know what this is exactly and how the chances are this will vanish again?

Wish you all the best!
      TinniTom

2. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes got that one along with tonal and humming. Could be anything, maybe hydrops. Ain't life wonderful?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @TinniTom,

I also had tinnitus for many years, and then suddenly started hearing a pulsating sound. Mine is only in one ear (right ear), and it started after taking a blood pressure drug for the first time. I've had the hissing and pulsating for over 6 years now; have had a number of tests, but was never able to find a cause.

It could be that your tinnitus ear was already vulnerable, and something may have triggered the pulsating. Have you had any lifestyle changes or changes in your health recently? Have you been taking any new prescription drugs?

Mine has not gotten any worse, and in fact, I'm now better able to live with it than in the beginning.

I hope you're having a peaceful day, so far!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Many thanks for your reply! I'm very sorry you also have this :( But this makes me hope I can manage it somehow.
      I had a cold two weeks ago and still not completely healthy. During the cold my neck and back starts to hurt because I just lain the whole day. I read it can be caused by hardening but not sure because I never had this after a cold.

Karen, can I ask how loud your Tinnitus is and how loud the pulsating sound is you got?

Wish you also a wonderful day!
      TinniTom

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @TinniTom,

Since you have a cold, your tinnitus and pulsating could possibly settle down again after you recover. Have you been taking any cold medicines or antibiotics? There are antibiotics that cause tinnitus to get worse, in some cases.

My tinnitus was very loud when the pulsating first started about 6 years ago. On a scale of 1 to 10, it was somewhere between an 8 and 9 most of the time. It has settled down since then. The pulsating was really bad then, too. I still have the pulsating, but I have learned how to live with it, and I can put it mostly out of my mind during the day. It is still there at night, but I've learned to sleep on my good ear instead of my bad ear, and that helps.

Hope you start to feel better soon!

Karen

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Many thanks for you quick reply! This really gives me some hope!
      I wish you all the best!
      TinniTom

• Like Like x 1