Tinnitus and Pain with Hearing Loss & TMJ

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ruse, May 22, 2019.

1. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      Hi all,

I have been a reader of Tinnitus Talk for the past couple months and have finally taken the plunge to sign up with the Neuromod release around the corner.

I woke up a couple of months back now with mild - moderate tinnitus with the main problem tone being around 7.8 kHz.

I later discovered that I have unilateral mild hearing loss in my left ear. -20 dB dip at 2 kHz, -25 dB at 8 kHz. Everything past 8 kHz I suspect gets worse. No issues with hearing in my right ear.

The cause is likely a mixture of things, including a really bad bout of Labyrinthitis about 2 years ago, headphone use, a microsuction procedure and TMJ issues.

TMJ issues seemed to get worse around the time the tinnitus appeared (increased jaw soreness after eating and clicking / popping which I had never experienced before). I suspect this is not the root cause though could be contributing.

My tinnitus is strangely mild in quiet rooms, though reacts when exposed to most noise. Fans seem to be the worst. I am aware of the ringing most of the time though more because of the pitch rather than the loudness.

I have also been experiencing mild intermittent pain just under my ear which could be TMJ related or nerve damage. The pain is random and is not in response to sound.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any thoughts / advice is welcome!

2. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Do you also have hyperacusis?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ruse
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      No pain or sensitivity to sound - it’s a strange one!

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The TMJ worsening after hearing damage is no coincidence

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ruse
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      Yes unfortunately I suspect one is contributing to the other in some shape or form!