Tinnitus and Recreational Drugs — Advice?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MingMonster, Dec 3, 2015.

1. MingMonster

MingMonster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/10/15
      This thread may be distasteful to some, so I apologize in advance.

Has anyone done cocaine since developing tinnitus? I used to do it almost every weekend and never had a problem, but I have not done it since developing T (my T was from a cold, not from drugs). I know that all uppers are ototoxic, e.g. coffee, cigarettes, all that jazz. But those things don't effect my T at all.

So my question is, does anyone know if coke effects T permanently if at all? And also more importantly, has anyone one here done coke since developing T and how did it effect you and your tinnitus?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have communicated with at least one person who developed tinnitus following cocaine use.

If you use coke, you're almost certainly ingesting levamisole, too...

Edit: full disclosure, I did coke a few times a decade ago, no impact on my t. I haven't done it since my t got worse in 2009.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MingMonster

MingMonster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/10/15
      Thanks for your feedback.
      Also, if you guys are worried about putting your drug use out in the open, please PM me!!! Obviously, no judge here.

4. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I've only ever done weed and ecstasy (only like 5 or 6 times but I was safe and tested my stuff)

Both would make my T increase.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MingMonster

MingMonster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/10/15
      Karl, did they make it worse permanently or just while you were on it?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MingMonster

MingMonster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/10/15
      @Karl28 did they make it worse permanently or just while you were on it?

7. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones

Well with weed my T would always be back to normal the next day after a sleep.
      With ecstasy my T wouldn't be right for a few days.

8. MichaelO
      Angelic

MichaelO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I don't drink to intoxication very often but when I do and sleep it off the tinnitus is noticeably milder the next morning. Not a great way to treat tinnitus but it makes me wonder about healthier ways to shut down my brain during the night. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. STi

STi Member

Weed makes it louder for me but drops back down when it wears off.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Hardwell

Hardwell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/10/2015
      Weed genuinely makes it a lot quieter for me, well I certainly pay less attention to it anyway. As of cocaine I have no idea, but I have read that some people who have tinnitus have Carried on using MDMA and they felt while on it they genuinely gave 0 fucks about their T but their T was temporarily slightly increased the following morning

11. delumo71
      No Mood

delumo71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 2015.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wish I knew.
      Anything that stimulates/suppresses and affects the central nervous system in any way, shape or for WILL affect T without a doubt. Will it do more permanent damage? Your body decides. I would say it is more like asking for trouble if you want to risk it.

12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MDMA completely obliterated my tinnitus for the duration of the drug. It's not a question about caring less about it; I could plug my ears and hear silence.

Obviously this is not a sustainable solution :D But, it does cement that for me there's a connection between ringing intensity and serotonin function, and this has steered me towards long term behaviors that are shown to benefit serotonin function (exercise, meditation, good sleep, etc).

My total guess is that most of the modulatory effects which cannabis has on my tinnitus, are also related at least partially to serotonin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Hardwell

Hardwell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/10/2015
      Wow I had no idea mdma could be that effective, I know they've experimented the uses of mdma in therapy with people suffering from such things as PTSD and Tinnitus, they've had great success in changing your behaviour towards the T.

I've not used mdma since I've had T, not because I'm avoiding the drug but because I'm avoiding the nightclub scene which is a shame

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      Cocaine is to T what gasoline is to fire my friend ;) the effect is temporary though. Of course it always depends on the dosage but should you decide to still use it occasionally, be aware that you ll have a nasty spike for the following days.

15. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      E's, speed and weed? No. Music and loud sound? Yes. Haven't done any of the above since though.

16. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I do a lot of drugs.

MDMA, benzos, opiates, psychedelics, stimulants, etc. None seems to mess with my tinnitus. MDMA improves my tinnitus for a few days after doing it, obviously benzos helps with it but they are tricky. Stimulants can lead to temp spikes, nothing too serious.

Weed used to spike my tinnitus but not anymore. I don't know if that might have to do with tolerance or just not caring about it anymore.

I do stay away from coke though, that shit is nasty. Almost all cocaine is cut with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levamisole - nasty shit.

17. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I hope you're not mixing mdma with benzodiazepines, or worse, ssri or Maoi drugs.

18. foryourinfo

foryourinfo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Long time
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something
      So many lost souls flushing their future down the toilet. As sad as tinnitus.

19. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      Same here...I take medical cannabis for arthritis in my left shoulder, it increases the level of ringing but returns to normal...

20. Booger
      Psychedelic

Booger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Sometimes weed spikes my T, sometimes it doesn't. I think it has to do with how I smoke. If I take in a harsh hit that irritates my sinuses/eustachian tubes, it probably causes inflammation that increases the T. If I take chlorotabs before I smoke, the increase is negligible if it's even there at all.

21. GuiConfortin

GuiConfortin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 4th 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah... I used to love the night scene. Been off of that since T started, though...

By the way, anyone else on the interactions of T and coke? Or T and alcohol? I know it causes a spike... but is it permanent?? My T is recente... and it has became worse for good... was it the drug effect, or was it already going to get worse anyway, since it is so recent (and maybe hasn't been fully shaped yet)?

• Like Like x 1