Tinnitus and Sleep Meds

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheGagagirl1234, Aug 31, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      I've had insomnia since early childhood (I'm 20 now), and my doctor gave me some pills that should help me fall asleep. However, I'm still concerned about my T and I'm afraid the pills may make it worse. If sleep pills can cause T to get worse then I'd rather live with insomnia than a very loud noise in my head (my T is mild). Is it safe to take sleep meds? I would really like to hear some experiences with them and T. Thanks in advance!

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      What sleep med were you prescribed?

3. TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      I don't know what they are called, but they're stronger than those I had before. They were very mild, and they didn't work :(

4. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Unless you give us a name, we cannot help I'm afraid. Have you ever checked if all of your hormons are okey ?

5. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I think the best person to ask re: safety is your doctor, especially if you're planning on taking the meds for a long-term problem. There might be other ways to help insomnia other than just medication, especially if the insomnia isn't just from T.

Also to consider though is that there are different kind of sleep medication - it's not just "stronger" and "weaker" meds, but different classes/ways the drugs work that affect different individuals differently. You might need to work with your doctor to experiment a bit and see which helps you most.

As far as it affecting your T, I think a lot of people worry about ototoxicity, but from what I've read and my own doctor, it's a fairly rare thing to happen and often, but not always, goes away when the medication is stopped, but again, check with your own doctor. What really makes my T seem louder is when I'm exhausted and haven't slept, so you might find that getting that rest really helps.

I hope that helps a little. I think the best thing is to try out meds with your doctor's supervision until you both come to something that works for you. Drugs affect every body differently.

6. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hope your new meds help you and let us know the name of them.
      Try a warm drink and warm bath and same routine every night and relax for an hour away from computer use and iPod or tablet etc .
      Put lavender oil on your pillow as it will relax you and the sense of smell is a lovely tinnitus distraction .
      Try keep it going,,bath and warm drink and lavender and relaxing.
      You can put one hand on your stomach and one on your chest and breath in slow to the count of three and make your stomach rise as you breath and breath out to the count of three .
      Hope these tips can help you and snuggle down for a long rest and let sleep come and it will.... If you have thoughts keeping you awake write them down to off load your brain .
      Sound therapy for tinnitus is good and happy tell you about it for tinnitus .
      Take care duck....lol glynis