Tinnitus and Sleep

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pumpkin, Aug 7, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Pumpkin
      Busy

Pumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Does anyone find that in the weird state between sleep and being awake that you have some sort of control of their T? I am able to completely silence my T in this state. I am still aware of all other sounds in the room, but I can make my T go.

2. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      so whats the problem?

3. Pumpkin
      Busy

Pumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      The problem is when I fully wake it comes back full force. I just found it interesting that I could control it just as I was waking and wondered if anyone else had experienced the same.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, I have noticed this, and there have been some other threads about it.

The interesting thing here, for me, is what it implies about tinnitus: the signal propagation is related to conscious activity, some of which might be willfull. That makes sense to me, because I've noticed that I can cause mini spikes in my T sometimes with certain kinds of thinking.

It might also explain why some people report volume reductions after long-term, dedicated meditative practices (which have also been shown in imaging studies to increase gray matter density in specific brain structures which tinnitus patients generally have deficits in, I'm looking at you Mr. Right Anterior Insula).

5. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      so we should all meditate all day long then. When our gray matter density has increased enough, we will all be cured

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      I can't speak for anyone else; meditative practice is probably one of the main reasons that I remain unmedicated, functional and reasonably happy. But, it "agrees" with my umwelt and overall view of reality. Everyone necessarily finds their own path through this.

I am unclear why you continue to respond to me with such animosity and sarcasm; is it helpful to you?

• Like Like x 1
    7. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There are a few people here who are quick to interpret comments in negative fashion and respond in an antagonistic manner. I think it is because when they are suffering and see no solution they become frustrated and lash out. Since they are already in a negative mind frame they interpret comments negatively. Often misunderstanding what someone is trying to say. Also communicating via text does not help with this since we cannot hear a persons tone of voice, see their facial expressions etc.
      Try not to take it personally and see the suffering behind the antagonists comments. I find this difficult to do myself so maybe ignoring them completely is best.

• Like Like x 1
    8. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      I know that I can be pretty brash in some of the statements I make, and I worry that sometimes, when I am excited or adamant about things that help me, people can interpret that as "this solves my problems, so if it's not helping you, you're not trying hard enough, or there's something wrong with you". Nothing could be further from the truth... I have a thirty year history of anxiety, depression, rumination, and suffering. Tinnitus is a rough blow on top of that, but the things that make tinnitus more difficult for me to handle than it might be for other people I know, are deeply ingrained in my sense of self, and all the other experiences of panic and distress I've had.

So, for better or worse, tinnitus has been transformative for me. I knew for a long, long time, that my strategy of constant stress, constant substance intake, constant life out of balance, was feeding my suffering, and keeping me locked in my head. I couldn't find a way to break those chains. Tinnitus, ultimately, was the thing which forced me, like a bell ringing in my head saying "wake up, foolish child, the clock is ticking, none of this will ever be any easier to deal with than it is right here in this moment now." And, that's just my experience, that's the path I walked. I know that there are a lot of people who had none of those problems, and just got smashed in the head with a really unpleasant stimuli one day -- and I also suspect that many who suffer so terribly, have subjectively louder, more unpleasant tinnitus than I do.

So, at this point, all my posturing and assumed wisdom aside, I don't really have any fricking clue how other people should find a way to accommodate the noise in their ears. I barely have insight into what I need to be doing, and how it all works for me.

• Like Like x 2