Tinnitus and the Change of Volume/Tones

Discussion in 'Support' started by Farah, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Farah
      Wisdomatic

Farah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - Standing next to speaker at 2 day festival.
      Hi all,

So I was just wondering what everyone else experiences with their tinnitus changing tones and volume?

Mine started 3 months ago (Acoustic Trauma) and the first week was a level 4 EEEE noise in my right ear and fullness in my left but no ringing.
      A week later the fullness remains and the eee in right is just a hiss, down to a level 2.
      3 weeks later fullness is gone and ringing starts in left ear but at a level 3.
      One week after that, left ear calms down and is on and off slight ringing with right ear down to a level 1.

Now at 3 months my left ear is mostly quiet, sometimes I can't hear any ringing and sometimes a very faint ringing.
      However my right ear although at times very quiet, can sometimes go up again to a level 2 and lately has this weird noise, I don't know how to describe it, but it's an unstable noise which kind of shoots through the ear and my left ear too sometimes. It's not loud, a level 1 or 2 at most.
      I just don't know what to make of it all.

I sleep fine and most days I actually forget it's there, but sometimes I can get obsessed all over again when it starts this acting up.

Does anyone else experience this? and if not, I'd like to hear about your experience with tinnitus and how it varies in pitch/tone.

2. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hey, my T is kind of similar, 1-3 in the right ear. Left ear is mostly quiet but sometimes i hear also a faint whistling there.

Sometimes even when i don‘t hear it in bed, i have the feeling there rings something in my brain:D i don‘t know if thats just anxiety or immagination. Really strange....

I‘m a bit over 2 months now.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Farah
      Wisdomatic

Farah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Hmm, I went onto your profile just to see your first post about your tinnitus and I also had a bad cold before the acoustic trauma. My left ear had been deaf and I hadn't been well. I wonder if this has any connection to my T.
      Of course, I know I damaged my ears by being at a loud festival but it's strange how I also had a cold and our tinnitus is similar.

Also, yes I think anxiety definitely makes it worse/sound weird.

I've noticed that if I don't care about it and don't even think about it, it remains the same, a very low hiss. But if I start analyzing every sound and getting worried, it increases and seems way worse than it actually is.

Same way crying makes it much louder for me and I cried a lot in the beginning. I was a wreck.

4. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      @Farah I also had a car accident with a trauma 1 and a half months prior T onset. So it could be that both these things had something to do with my T, but i think i‘ll never know.

I noticed when i wear plugs a while, driving going to the gym ecc. and then take them out at home my T seems louder with more sounds, but after a while it goes back to normal. I don‘t understand if thats just my perception or maybe the pressure from the plugs.

Do you hear your T always in a quiet room?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Farah
      Wisdomatic

Farah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Yes! I do notice it being louder after wearing plugs and also during use. When they're in it gradually sounds louder to me and when I take them out it seems like it's louder too. But I think my blood pressure etc is having an effect on my T, for example when I'm more active it seems louder, the same way your heart beats faster etc. But when I'm just lounging at home, it seems much quieter.

However, sometimes my T doesn't get louder at all. It's a mystery to me.

I just hope it remains at this level and doesn't get louder.

6. gmpknick

gmpknick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi!,
      my T acts very weird too at times...I've made similar post on this forum for some input as well. I have days where I feel it's really going away, then it comes back with a higher ring for maybe 2 days a week?..I have high pitch hearing loss, from lots of metal music thru the years and also gun shots over the years too. It does get annoyting when you hae a run of a few good day's only to get set back againwith a high ring or hiss day... I think I did find some sort of connection, however and that is sodium..seems like when I have a higher sodium day, I get the bounce in volume...I also think that "T" just has a way of it's own as well. The one thing that I hope continues is after you may have a day or two of higher noise...it will come back down to baseline for a few days too. that's the one thing that makes it easier to deal with. My audiologist recommends hearing aids for my situation, but a almost 4k a pair...I'll wait...i did some research into the hearing aid for people with higher pitch hearing loss andthey will help lower tinnitus..so i feel at least I have another option if it gets worse..Hope you manage ok, thru the louder day's...stay positive too..that helps..

7. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Haha the same for me with the plugs. I also hope mine stays this way, i‘m using plugs most of the time when i‘m around moderate noise, so i hope with time it gets a bit better.

Let me know how your T changes in the future:)

8. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      At first my left ear was by far the worst side and i thought i only had it in that ear to begin with. As time has gone on that ear is 90 percent silent now and the other side is now my worst side. My Tinnitus is now different every single day. Mornings always used to be the best but somedays they are the worst. When i go to bed it seems bad for 10 minutes and then with some kind of meditation technique i can go to sleep un bothered by what i hear.