Tinnitus at Single Tone Replaces Environmental Sounds??

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lauren Morse, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Lauren Morse
      Cowabunga

Lauren Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma/Migraines
      Hello all,

I developed a strange tinnitus that is freaking me out today.
      Every time I hear any sound in the environment, that sound gets converted into a single tone around 5-6 khz. That is, doesn't matter if it is a person walking, a bird chirping, or me talking. Every sound is replaced with an tinny "EEEEE!" sound in my left ear! Note that if I sit completely still this T tone does not exist, it is only when I am presented with a sound stimulus.
      It all happened after eating in a cafeteria with earplugs in. As soon as I took the plugs out this is what resulted. There is no way the noise was loud enough in there to damage my hearing, as I have sat in there multiple times with the same plugs and no problems.

I really don't want this to be permanent and to not hear natural sounds! Every footstep I make feels like I am ringing a bell! Anyone have something like this or know how to alleviate it?

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Perhaps this is an issue with ear drums or the Eustachian Tube. Do you have ear fullness or pressure? Have you seen an ENT yet on that? It is best to let a doctor to check things out first to see if there is an issue with the ears.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lauren Morse
      Cowabunga

Lauren Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma/Migraines
      billie48,

I think you were right on in this case!;)
      The tinnitus has since gone away (*phew*). I think there might have been a little bit of wax pushed up against the eardrum for just a little bit that might have been affecting me when sounds hit my eardrum.

Left ear has been having all kinds of problems for the last 2 months that are likely in the inner ear or behind it. There is a possibility of ETD, but I have been progressively losing hearing and seem to be able to clear my ears just fine when yawning.