Tinnitus Calms Down a Week Before Menstruation — Help Me Solve This!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Blue Light, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

I am encouraged to research what makes my tinnitus disappear one week before menstruation, and thus help understand the underlying cause for and help other people as well.

Symptoms -> Since 2019, I have had a very loud and bothering sound in my right ear (like a subway station, low frequency type of sound), that comes and goes on its own. Usually it can be masked, but not always. I use the sound of a running air-conditioner to fall asleep. I also have several other types of noises in both ears, that developed consequently, but they are completely different in nature and not that much of a problem.

Relief -> Each month the tinnitus loud sound in my right ear recedes and merely disappears for a week prior to menstruation (starting from day 18-19) and also during the first few days of the cycle (1-2-3). It is calm even in a completely quiet room (which otherwise is really bothering). It is absent or at least is calmer despite my level of stress, despite my eating/fasting circumstances, despite my painful period etc - IT STAYS CALM and takes care of itself somehow. Then, at the ~4th day of menstruation it reappears really bothersome without stopping, no matter what I do and continues like that for the next 20 days.

Please let me know if anyone of you have such observations, what is it called?

I know other people that say they have this very kind of tinnitus that sometimes disappears on its own, but they link it only to travelling/vacation for a few days.

I think in my case it's about hormones/chemistry. For example, the inner ear has receptors for progesterone and estrogen.

I still can't figure it out alone.

I need a professional understanding, but most doctors cannot think in a multi-disciplinary manner, or just they don't want to!

I hope If I participate in a study it will shed some light on the problem.

Till now I've tried lots of treatments, but this tinnitus has its own pattern that is consistent.

Please help!

Kind regards and best wishes,
      Maria

2. Dann_sheep
      Worried

Dann_sheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July-August/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi!

It doesn't happen to me, but what you are describing is directly linked to your hormone levels.

I recommend you to get checked for that.

What I know is:
      • A week or so before your period (after ovulation) and during your period estrogen levels drop and progesterone increases.
      • After your period, estrogen increases gradually until ovulation, and the cycle repeats.
      You should try some supplements to regulate your hormones, because the problem is either estrogen or progesterone. I've used DIM and Vitex for months and months without problem and it worked for me.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much for responding.

I'll re-check my estrogen and progesterone soon. Should I check something else as well? E.g. Dopamine/Serotonin?

I'll definitely include DIN foods in my diet, and a Vitex supplement, it sounds very reasonable. Thank you!

I am interested in knowing the mechanism of this whole thing, what exactly is happening. Maybe hormones are indirectly affecting some other factor that I don't know.

For example:

"...Progesterone reduces serotonin levels, and therefore indirectly influences auditory processing. Progesterone may counterbalance the main excitatory action of oestrogen through inhibition of the central nervous system; for example, allopregnanolone, a metabolite of progesterone, inhibits chloride ion conductance and subsequently reduces neuronal excitability."

"...Estrogen also reduces the ability of neurons to synthesise gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), by reducing autoinhibition of the GABAergic preoptic area through the GABAB receptor..."​

That excitability of the nervous system is the root thing. I've been doing Biofeedback trainings + LORETA EEG and the therapist told me that his database of tinnitus cases shows the same brain areas to be over excited, just as in my case.

The Default Mode Network (DMN) is prevalent in tinnitus patients, as far as I understand.

Then, on what mechanism the masking happens? Why it works so efficiently and sometimes it fails, apart from the hormones' action?

For sure the way we think and concentrate triggers other neural pathways, together with the corresponding chemicals.

Doing Yoga Nidra really helped me at the beginning, the sound used to calm and disappear within 30 minutes! But with time the effect lowered.

Here is a link to the article about steroid hormones, I do recommend it:

Steroid Hormones and Their Action in Women's Brains: The Importance of Hormonal Balance

• Like Like x 1
    4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      My relapse occurred around perimenopause. It is driving me mental!

Not sure if it was causal or coincidence.

Hormonal studies are pending, but previous studies reveal low Progesterone.

I started Primrose and Peony yesterday. Considering bioidenticals.

To drive down histamine, I am using Magnesium, Zinc, activated B6, and Chinese Skullcap, along with a specific probiotic.

I was going to take GABA but am concerned about down regulating receptors.

• Like Like x 1
    5. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Anybody figured this out yet? The Brexanolone conversation reminded me of this thread by @Blue Light.

@DebInAustralia, have you had any breakthroughs?

6. Blackbird1016

Blackbird1016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music Festival
      I don't have much insight to contribute unfortunately, but I'm a woman too and find this a super interesting theory. I hope you discover the cause!

• Like Like x 1
    7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      No. Fluctuating head noise is the same. Worse with changes in barometric pressure.

An OATS test (metabolic testing) has revealed high levels of quinolinic acid (biomarker for neuroinflammation). I have confirmed mycotoxin illness, so taking binders for liver support. One of the moulds I've tested positive for, is known to cause neuroinflammation.

I've learnt that quinolinic acid causes activation of NMDA receptors, which further drives up glutamate. I'm taking co-factors (B6, Zinc) to reduce production of quinolinic acid, along with adding in LDN again. I'm concerned about LDN because I've read, whilst it deactivates microglia and drives down glutamate, it can possibly drive up glutamate by its action on increasing dynorphins.

I retrialled Curcumin/Boswellia, they didn't help.

I continue on bioidentical HRT.

I've been reading about the effect of menopause and hormonal shifts on the gut microbiome and brain neurotransmitters. I'm starting a neuroprobiotic to help rebalance GABA and serotonin in the CNS.

I've trialled Ketotifen and Loratadine short term. No improvement.

I'm considering retrialling Acetyl-L-Carnitine, and nicotine patches.

That's it!

• Like Like x 1
    8. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Nicotine patches. I haven't read up on that!

Does the Acetyl-L-Carnitine you mention do the same thing for tinnitus as NAC?