Tinnitus Caused by COVID-19 Infection

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Erik_T, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Erik_T

Erik_T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (likely) covid
      Hi Everyone!

34-year-old guy from Chicago here.

I (likely) developed tinnitus after COVID-19 infection in November 2020.

I had a relatively "mild" bought during the acute phase of the infection (fatigue, nausea, vomiting, complete loss of taste and smell). Within a couple weeks, I regained my sense of taste and my sense of smell has ever so gradually improved (currently about 75% restored). About a month after the initial infection I experienced an odd and unsettling numbness in my extremities. For several weeks, every time I laid down for bed, both of my legs would turn into pins and needles. This eventually abated and I thought I was out of the proverbial woods.

About 2 months later, in January of 2021, I noticed a fullness in my left ear. For a few days I also seemed to be super sensitive to certain sounds. The sensitivity went away and I didn't think much of it until mid March when I began to notice a persistent ringing in my left ear. I also began experiencing brief flashes of a high pitched ringing in my right ear. The ringing reached a crescendo about 4 weeks ago when I was laying in bed. Both ears were blasting away and I was unable to sleep without a white noise machine. I was in full blown panic mode for the following couple weeks.

I went to an ENT and had my hearing checked by an audiologist. Fortunately, no hearing loss but they did detect some noticeable damage to my cilia in both ears. I suppose its possible the COVID-19 infection may have caused this cilia damage (?) but I think its also just as likely this was caused by years of loud concerts and playing in bands. Also of note: my blood pressure is apparently a helluva lot higher than it was at my previous doctor's visit.

I'm wondering if the high blood pressure was possibly triggered by the COVID-19 infection and may be contributing to the tinnitus?

I am much less panicked than I was a few weeks ago but the constant ringing in my left ear continues. Some days/moments are better than others. I have read anecdotal accounts of people's post COVID-19 tinnitus slowly subsiding over the course of several months.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

I appreciate any and all of your thoughts/feedback!

Thanks so much!
      Erik

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      It might well be, given it targets the ACE2 receptor which is responsible for blood pressure control/negative feedback converting blood pressure hormones.

I would say that's a good hypothesis.

It might also help your tinnitus to get the blood pressure down over time, try cutting out salt for a while or a light blood pressure med as a trial for a bit? Hopefully you've noticed some improvement in your tinnitus over time, you likely will if it's just ringing over the months (true improvement in volume).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Hi Erik,

It's been awhile since you wrote but I have read your letter after reading elsewhere complaints of tinnitus developing after having the vaccine by J & J.

My tinnitus began just after dental work--it began with severe infectious like reaction, had the pins and needles and anxiety as the tinnitus blared from all around the area worked on before moving into the ear. It still moves about and it's been a decade... From what i know the anxiety is a common histamine/immune/allergic reaction. The fight or flight response that comes with histamine as anxiety is sort of natures way of making a person move away from an allergen...