Tinnitus Caused by Supplements?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by FrankB, Jan 16, 2021.

1. FrankB

FrankB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hello,

For the last two weeks I have been hearing a metallic ringing and some intermittent high-pitched tones in my ears. When coming home one evening, I suddenly noticed the unusual sounds in my ears. There was no specific trigger I can think of.

Are any of the supplements below likely triggers? Here is the list with daily dosage that I have been taking for the last three months:
      • Vitamin D (4,ooo UI)
      • Magnesium (500mg)
      • Calcium/Calcimagon (500mg)
      • Vitamin Q10 (100mg)
      • NAC (600mg)
      • DHA from fish oil (200mg)
      • Vitamin C (1g)
      • Zinc (15mg) with Histidine (100mg) and Cysteine (20mg)
      Changes in diet in the last month:
      • Low salt, low sodium
      • Replaced high-GI with low-GI foods, such as replacing white rice with Quinoa or potatoes with chick peas.
      Strangely, when I take a cold shower with my head under cold water, the sounds stop, sometimes for hours. In the morning, they are usually back. I appreciate any hints!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I can only speculate that the cold water may cool off the hyperactive neurons or that the coldness may affect the blood flow. But shower is also mentioned as a soothing stress relief which may help calm tinnitus. Residual inhibition is often experienced by some with high pitched tinnitus after exposing to shower sound of similar frequency.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Hey there!

I don't think supplements are generally causes of this symptom. Many of those supplements you take are actually popular options that people here take in order to mitigate the problem, though there are reports that they have often exacerbated the issue. These instances of worsening typically vanish when the supplement is no longer being taken.

My only advice would be for you to try and eliminate each supplement as a potential culprit by taking it out of your regimen, but I know that would throw a wrench in things are you likely have good reasons for taking them.

I would suggest you look into other potential causes if things don't get better for you in the next couple weeks. I certainly hope this stops being an issue for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. mohn

mohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @FrankB - how is your Tinnitus now?

I recently started taking a Vitamin D3 supplement and I experience fleeting T... just started magnesium supplement since D3 depletes magnesium and could be the cause of T