Tinnitus Caused from Minor Whiplash — Does Tinnitus Only Get Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by joker1994, May 20, 2017.

1. joker1994
      Wishful

joker1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck damage
      Does tinnitus only get worse? Mine is mild at the moment and have gotten better since I got it from 3 weeks ago. I got like 3 different tones but I don't hear them when I'm outside.

2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Yours has got better but you say "does tinnitus only get worse?"

That makes no sense to me, clearly it doesn't always get worse if yours has gotten better o_O

3. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      Sometimes. It's not an easy question to answer because everybody experiences tinnitus differently. But in most cases? No. Providing you are sensible. Still, there is never a guarantee with tinnitus.

But considering you said that yours has gotten better, it likely won't get worse. Just don't be reckless with it.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Exposure to loud sounds/noise is the most common cause of tinnitus. Typically: listening to music through headphones at high volumes and attending clubs and other places where loud music is played. Further exposer to these loud sounds can make tinnitus worse, as long as there is no underlying medical problem responsible. My advice is not to listen to music through headphones, even at low volume if the tinnitus was originally caused by loud noise exposure. Not everyone with noise induced tinnitus is affected by headphone use, but I don't think it's worth the risk using them.

Michael

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It improves for most people. Judging by this forum, it gets worse for a small minority of people. Having said this, now that your ears have been compromised, if you behave like a normal person your age and don't take care to protect your ears, chances are that it will get worse.