Tinnitus Changes Ears Constantly

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kriszti, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My very high frequency tinnitus is changing ears. Or at least, it feels like it. Started clearly in my previously bad left ear. Changes the type as well constantly. Sometimes it's a hiss, sometimes it's an electric sizzle. With those I can't really tell where it's coming from. Tried to plug my ears separately and thought that where it increases volume, that ear is the culprit. Sometimes it gets a tonal whistle or sounds like a scream. Then I definitely know where it's coming from. Is this normal? Will it settle by any chance and can it be quieter?

I'm convinced now it's either noise induced or drug induced and I have high frequency hearing loss. My audiogram is clear with a slight 5db dip around 8000 Hz, but not so scientifically I tried a YouTube hearing test, and only hear anything over 13500 Hz if it's very loud. I'm only 31, so I consider this very bad. I can't believe, but I can't find an audiologist who tests over 8000 Hz in my country.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      From what I’ve read in this forum it sounds very common. Mine is a moderate (4/10) 8500 hrz tone in my head, then an oscillating hiss in the right ear and recently I developed a 6000 hrz faint beep that is reactive in my left ear. The loud main 8500 hrz tone changes in volume throughout the day and is also reactive mainly to white noise.
      My guess is that the more you pay attention to the sounds in your head/ears, the more you might find, especially if you get anxious about it. It can be a vicious circle.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can someone, with more knowledge in anatomy and the nervous system than me, care to venture a guess what could be the cause of my tinnitus changing ears in every other day? I don't think, it's only my perception, one day it's in my left ear, then the other day in the right.

I feel pretty devastated now. Not doing awesome in habituation. Been having sh*tty days.

4. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have sent you pm :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    5. Solose
      Worried

Solose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have been having the same issue. It's like my right ear is threatening to develop T. It will be there only for a few seconds and I honestly have a hard time telling which ear its in now. If T is in the brain and not the ears, it makes sense that it could jump from side to side. Where you hear it is a matter of perception, so for whatever reason your brain is misfiring and interperting sounds from both sides.

My T is so weird too. It had let up at night and then wheen I rolled over in bed all of a sudden it got loud again. Why, just why? I am having a hard time habituating too as mine often changes. When it gets louder I try to remind myself that it's just a noise, and it's normal for me to have it change. It works sometimes better than others. It's so hard but you're at the beginning of this. Just try to focus on making it through each day, thats all any of us can do. I also forced myself to call friends and family and talk to take my mind off T.

I'm sorry today is a hard day. This isn't fair for anyone to go through but you can do this.

• Hug Hug x 1